Sign in to follow this  
HighFlier

Looking for Suggestions to Improve Framerate

Hi All,

I just got the Queen (along with everyone else) and I'm noticing that it is taking a much heavier toll on my simulator than the NGX or Triple 7. I know it's early in release and the majority of people here have limited time with it, but I'm open for any suggestions on improving framerate that one might have so far.

In case anyone is curious, here are my system specs (first version Alienware 13):

Processor: Intel® Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-Based Processor

Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics Family

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

Hard Drive: 1TB

Thanks,

James Ward

That cpu is way too underpowered. Check the minimum and recommend specs.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Yep that CPU isn't up to the task.

Sean McCormack | Virgin Australia | i7 8700K @ 5.2Ghz | Asus Maximus XI | G.Skill RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ | Asus STRIX-GTX1080Ti | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO SSD RAID 0 | Corsair HX1000i  | Win 10 64bit | HTC Vive, HMD Odyssey, Oculus Rift-S and Pimax 5k+ | Twitch twitch.tv/djsean00 | Youtube youtube.com/djsean00

I did about as scientific of a measurement as any one of us can and have found that the 747v3 yields about 2.5 to 3% FPS less when in a CPU-bound scenario compared to the 777. This scenario is at FB KSFO on top of ORBX NorCal in clear weather (no clouds, thus no GPU binding) and I was able to repeat the results several times. But that percentage was merely the difference between mid-27s and high 26s. In fairness, it sounds like the Queen is doing a lot more than the 777 (and thus, using more CPU cycles). So not gonna complain.

That all being said, I'm actually shocked the OP got things running at all. Is that a laptop, James?

Just my brief opinion frame rates very smooth

Very helpful  :rolleyes:

You really do need a new CPU.

But try

In the FMC performance turn down the VC  refresh rates down to 10.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

It looks like a notebook CPU.

In FSX/P3D the most frequent CPU is the i74790K .

Aim for at least this spec if building a new PC

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

For these kind of add-ons you need an Ivy Bridge i5/i7 or up, clocked at 4GHz+ to get any reasonable performance. Judging by your GPU, you use a notebook. That may be ok for Call of Duty but not for flightsims where high CPU frequencies are needed.

Cheers!/Andreas

Might wanna try this, you can get it from places like simmarket, justflight etc, so shop around for the cheapest place, it definitely helps on slower systems. Note that some exe files from online stores are bugged, so if you do get it and can't register it online, get the exe from the developer, that one ain't got that registration bug:

http://www.thefsps.com/fsx/fsx-booster-live.html

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thank you all for taking some time to help with my question.

Some of you have asked whether I am running a laptop, yes I am. That being said, is it possible to upgrade the CPU of a laptop or do I have to go build a new machine? I don't have the budget to build a better computer up to the standards which people normally run FSX or P3D for a couple more years but I'll save up eventually. Follow up, Jude said to aim for a i74790K. Are there any other must have components you guys would recommend (to meet the recommended requirements) because I'm going to go for the cheapest option possible for all other components not vital.

Thanks Again,

James Ward

Thank you all for taking some time to help with my question.

Some of you have asked whether I am running a laptop, yes I am. That being said, is it possible to upgrade the CPU of a laptop or do I have to go build a new machine? I don't have the budget to build a better computer up to the standards which people normally run FSX or P3D for a couple more years but I'll save up eventually. Follow up, Jude said to aim for a i74790K. Are there any other must have components you guys would recommend (to meet the recommended requirements) because I'm going to go for the cheapest option possible for all other components not vital.

Thanks Again,

James Ward

Unfortunately, your laptop does not have an upgradeable CPU.  Very few laptops do anymore.  To get them thinner/cheaper/lighter the CPU's are soldered to the motherboards now in most laptops.

Regarding a desktop build, most important parts are the CPU, video card, and the ram for performance.  An SSD storage drive is great too, and they are getting cheaper, but they don't directly help framerates.

Good luck!

SSDs are a waste of money if you are on a limited budget. Standard (7200rpm) hard disk drives are just fine.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png