Sign in to follow this  
metalmike

Freighter - how long does it take to open/close the nose and left cargo doors?

I've noticed in the FMS menu when I ask for the nose or left side cargo doors to open, they just don't. I went back to doing other preflight stuff, and a few minutes later I look up, and the doors are both open as I had requested earlier. Now I am trying to close them and nothing happens. Am I missing something?

Michael Hatutian

I've noticed in the FMS menu when I ask for the nose or left side cargo doors to open, they just don't. I went back to doing other preflight stuff, and a few minutes later I look up, and the doors are both open as I had requested earlier. Now I am trying to close them and nothing happens. Am I missing something?

Michael Hatutian

From Introduction Manual:

"When using a cargo variant, the nose and side cargo doors require that a power source be available, but not in use. As an example, if you are using APU power, GEN1 can be used for power, but GEN2 will need to be switched off (left AVAIL) in order for the doors to operate." 

• Upvote 2

"When using a cargo variant, the nose and side cargo doors require that a power source be available, but not in use. As an example, if you are using APU power, GEN1 can be used for power, but GEN2 will need to be switched off (left AVAIL) in order for the doors to operate." 

Thanks!

Rob said this was gonna catch people.  :smile:

• Upvote 2

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

It caught me too but, with no disrespect to the OP, I jumped into the FCOM and found that. I certainly would have never guessed that as a solution.

If anyone can help us numbskulls: what's the rationale for this? Essentially that power is being supplied, off bus, to the aircraft? Is there a separate bus for those doors?

It caught me too but, with no disrespect to the OP, I jumped into the FCOM and found that. I certainly would have never guessed that as a solution.

If anyone can help us numbskulls: what's the rationale for this? Essentially that power is being supplied, off bus, to the aircraft? Is there a separate bus for those doors?

Simplified. Its off the Ground Handling Bus.  Its only powered if either the APU/External power switch is left in Avail instead of on. 

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries