Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

Passenger Weights

Brian,

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this issue!  However, I get the feeling you might be referring to FAA legislation, which I appreciate does place a greater responsibility on the despatcher for the safe loading of the flight compared to elsewhere in the world.  I think you might be interested to see what the UK's Air Navigation Order has to say on what the pilot in command's responsibility and authority are. These are the relevant sections to do with the loading and balance of any aircraft (with my emphasis on the word ‘must’):-

The Air Navigation Order (2016)

Article 68. The pilot in command of an aircraft is responsible—

(a) before every flight, for defining the roles and duties of each crew member;

(b) for the operation and safety of the aircraft and for the initiation, continuation, termination or diversion of a flight in the interest of safety; and

(c) during aircraft operations, for ensuring the safety of all crew members, passengers and cargo on board.”

Article 69 (8-10) covers the pilot in command’s responsibilty for the loading and balance of the aircraft:-

Airworthiness, equipment, baggage and cargo

(8) The pilot in command must ensure that—

(a) the aircraft is airworthy;

(b) instruments and equipment required for the execution of the flight are installed in the aircraft and are operative, unless operation with inoperative or missing equipment is permitted by the minimum equipment list or the CAA;

(c) all equipment, baggage and cargo are properly loaded and secured and that an emergency evacuation of the aircraft remains possible.

Mass and balance requirements

(9) The pilot in command must ensure that during any phase of operation, the loading, the mass and, except for balloons, the centre of gravity position of the aircraft comply with any limitation specified in the flight manual, the weight schedule required by article 43, or equivalent document.

Fuel, oil and ballast

(10) The pilot in command must ensure that—

(a) in the case of a flying machine or airship, sufficient fuel, oil and engine coolant (if required) are carried for the intended flight, and that a safe margin has been allowed for contingencies;

(b) in the case of a public transport flight, the instructions in the operations manual relating to fuel, oil and engine coolant have been complied with; and

(c) in the case of an airship or balloon, sufficient ballast is carried for the intended flight.

I rest my case!

Edited by berts
layout

Can I ask what it is you will check when getting the loadsheet?  Just that CG is within the envelope/weights are okay?  What do you reference it against?  A CG chart?

1 hour ago, VHOJT said:

Can I ask what it is you will check when getting the loadsheet?  Just that CG is within the envelope/weights are okay?  What do you reference it against?  A CG chart?

One of my first run in's with an airplane (freighter) that might be overloaded was coming out of KDFW heading for PANC and I was suppose to cross TCC at FL310 and I was struggling to make FL280.  I've landed overweight more times than I would like to think even though I was technically underweight.  The AOA doesn't lie.  🙂   

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

If you wish to be myopic by considering only the pic’s responsibilities without considering the wider canvas then by all means, dig yourself and your counterparts that hole from which there is no escape - I’m sure they’ll all appreciate it.

Brian Nellis