mari8it

LANDING LIGHTS

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Using shader mods?

Where to find it?

Patricio Valdes

4 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Where to find it?

If you were using them, you'd know where to find them.

Please describe the issue, and/or post pictures.

Kyle Rodgers

33 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

If you were using them, you'd know where to find them.

Please describe the issue, and/or post pictures.

In FSX Acceleration I load the 747 v3 in FSDT KJFK Gate 847 at night time. The landing lights are so bright like fire not real.

FSXKJFKGate847PMDG747v3lights.jpg

But when I load 747 v2 it doesn't show that "fire" lights which I think is more real.

FSXKJFKGate847PMDG747v2lights.jpg

Even though, the Level-D shows normal landing lights as well.

FSXKJFKGate847LDS767lights.jpg

The PMDG 777 shows also too bright landing lights same as 747 v3.

FSXKJFKPMDG-T7lights.jpg

How to resolve the flames landing lights from 747 v3 and 777 birds?

Patricio Valdes

39 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

too bright

Too bright based on your real world experience in the plane, or your subjective guess because we're using a different method for the landing lights?

Firstly, you're using them at the gate, on top of textures that have "baked on" lighting. That "lighting" at the gate is artificially lightened textures to simulate a light splash, so, it will naturally show up oddly when we brighten it using our method to actually light up the night. This isn't the basic texture-based lighting that we used in the old 744, and most other devs use.

As someone who's taken a landing light to the face a few too many times on the ramp at night, believe me, your assertion that it is unrealistic is way off the mark. I'd argue that you're just seeing it as odd because you're so used to the old method.

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Too bright based on your real world experience in the plane, or your subjective guess because we're using a different method for the landing lights?

Well, that kind of landing lights is on FSX with FSDT KJFK and from P3Dv4.1 where I have FSDT KJFK as well it doesn't show that flames.

Can be edited the lights settings from aircraft.cfg file? Or, better leave it alone? I can live with that as is anyway. Just trying to find it may be improved that lighting.

Patricio Valdes

6 hours ago, trisho0 said:

Can be edited the lights settings from aircraft.cfg file?

No they are hardcoded into the model. And I strongly discourage you from messing with the aircraft.cfg as long as you don‘t exactly know what you do and have to ask... the only thing you should change there IF NEEDED are camera settings.. 

6 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

No they are hardcoded into the model. And I strongly discourage you from messing with the aircraft.cfg as long as you don‘t exactly know what you do and have to ask... the only thing you should change there IF NEEDED are camera settings.. 

OK thank you for that recommendation. So, is there to do something with FSX Scenery Settings to improve the PMDG 747 v3 and 777 landing lights?

Patricio Valdes

I do think that everyone should be able to mod the sim the way they like, BUT have you noticed you CAN see aircraft lights from very far away? The taxi light is blinding if the pilots forget to turn it off coming in. All aircraft lights are VERY bright and for that reason you would almost never see landing lights on at a gate...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

8 hours ago, trisho0 said:

So, is there to do something with FSX Scenery Settings to improve the PMDG 747 v3 and 777 landing lights?

Sry, no idea about FSX anymore, I have dropped it for years..

But as the lights are built into the model and have nothing to do with effect files or similar anymore I don't think that you can change them at all.. But your "fire" lights look pretty okay for me.. Go to the airport and watch airplanes turning on their landing lights on the runway when it's dark.. they ARE that bright... Those are landing lights, not even taxi or turn off lights and they would STILL be too bright to have them on at the gate.. they have around 600W

1 hour ago, Ephedrin said:

Sry, no idea about FSX anymore, I have dropped it for years..

But as the lights are built into the model and have nothing to do with effect files or similar anymore I don't think that you can change them at all.. But your "fire" lights look pretty okay for me.. Go to the airport and watch airplanes turning on their landing lights on the runway when it's dark.. they ARE that bright... Those are landing lights, not even taxi or turn off lights and they would STILL be too bright to have them on at the gate.. they have around 600W

Good help! many thanks

Patricio Valdes

15 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

Those are landing lights, not even taxi or turn off lights and they would STILL be too bright to have them on at the gate.. they have around 600W

I used to fantasize that I'd mount a B744 landing light in my rear window so when the guy following me didn't dim their lights I'd get even.... but it'd probably blind him, cause and accident and it'd be my fault.  Sometimes it sucks when you are responsible.

Edited by downscc
  • Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, SKEWR said:

I do think that everyone should be able to mod the sim the way they like, BUT have you noticed you CAN see aircraft lights from very far away? The taxi light is blinding if the pilots forget to turn it off coming in. All aircraft lights are VERY bright and for that reason you would almost never see landing lights on at a gate...

So, the aircraft.cfg [lights] lines can be edited and testing on it. I might be able to use A2A but the changes will be changed to default again after new PMDG updates take in effect.

Hmmm..... better leave it as is. I have to live with that flame strong fire lights. Load the 747 v3 or T7 in FSDT KJFK Gate 847 at night time and see if you get the same landing lights. Try on P3Dv4 too ......

Edited by trisho0
missing lines

Patricio Valdes

On 31/03/2018 at 11:23 AM, scandinavian13 said:

Regarding subjectivity: The perception of light intensity is always going to be an issue in a desktop simulator. When was the last time we were blinded by directly looking at an image of the sun on our desktop computers? I've been blinded by real taxi lights, too, but only by looking directly at them, not by looking at the effect they have on a dry tarmac when I'm a few plane lengths away (as shown in the poster's photo). If pure white on a monitor represents "blinding" light, then you would expect some intensity reduction for light on the tarmac.

e.g. as in this YouTube clip of a Polar 744 taxying to the gate with the taxy lights on.

Looking at the video, I would say that light intensity needs to be somewhere between v2 and v3.

7 hours ago, downscc said:

I used to fantasize that I'd mount a B744 landing light in my rear window

I did hear of one guy in our overhaul workshops who mounted forward facing 767 landing lights on top of his 4WD... but this was purely for offroad use. Probably for kangaroo spotting.

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

1 hour ago, Qavion2 said:

then you would expect some intensity reduction for light on the tarmac.

then, in FSX Acceleration the 747 v3 and T7 in FSDT KJFK Gate 847 at night time by looking at posted 2 screenshots is not normal to you, right?

Patricio Valdes