Sign in to follow this  
GoneMissed

Autopilot issues in the 747 and 777

G'day all,

First off, apologise if I am posting in the wrong place. The issue relates to both the 777 and 747 so was unsure of where to post.

I have been having some autopilot issues in the 777 and was actually going to post on here yesterday, but ended up not. After getting the 747 and experiencing the same issues in the new (old?) machine, it is definitely time to try and get this sorted out.

So the issue I am having is the aircraft unable to maintain heading and altitude. A few examples: 777-300ER on the SID leaving YMML, later on in the cruise on the same flight, same aircraft crossing the northern Atlantic, and most recently today doing the KDEN-KSFO tutorial flight in the 747. Essentially the aircraft deviates from track before correcting itself, and/or deviates from altitude by up to 50 feet. I use AS16 and have SP1 installed, and my initial thought was this was the culprit. After turning off AS16 mid-flight during these occurences the effects were drastically minimised, but the aircraft was still misbehaving. Today, doing the tutorial flight I did not open AS16 and ran with the P3D Clear Skies preset as recommended in the tutorial.

I've attached bunch of screenshots. The most dramatic ones are with AS16 running (the first few 777 shots), the rest are using default P3D weather. I experience this in the 777 and 747 only, have never had this in the NGX, and for what it's worth, never in the Aerosoft A320 or Q400.

2017-1-30_9-19-3-371_zpswbfesidc.png

2017-1-30_9-29-33-607_zpszwdqngmy.png

2017-1-30_9-19-57-541_zpsxlgsivk4.png

2017-2-1_14-2-9-419_zps9ezrvugc.png

2017-2-1_14-5-5-813_zps4tswjzw3.png

Cheers,

Joe.

Turn down the turbulence slider in your weather program. Check the box for "disable turbulence effects on aircraft" in your sim.

Please have a look at our Intro Manuals, as well. We have some pretty detailed information that covers stuff like this.

Kyle Rodgers

Turn down the turbulence slider in your weather program. Check the box for "disable turbulence effects on aircraft" in your sim.

Please have a look at our Intro Manuals, as well. We have some pretty detailed information that covers stuff like this.

Hi Kyle,

I wanted to bump this back up - I tried what you suggested and am still having erratic behaviour in all of my PMDG aircraft. To reiterate what I said in my original post, I am having issues with AS16 not even running, and with the P3D 'clear skies' preset.

Unfortunately am unable to submit a ticket as I do not receive the reset password email (checked junk/spam folder, nothing from you guys there) after a few attempts.

Hoping you're able to assist.

Cheers,

Joe.

Joe,

Can you define "erratic?"

Also: for your support account, did you happen to use a gmail address?

Kyle Rodgers

and/or deviates from altitude by up to 50 feet

Hi,

+/- 50ft seems perfectly normal to me. Nothing shocking there.

As for the lateral deviation how far does the aircraft go before going back to track? 

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Joe,

Can you define "erratic?"

Also: for your support account, did you happen to use a gmail address?

Kyle,

Did you take a quick look at the screenshots? I have had bank angle warnings and aircraft deviating off track by 45 degrees lately, my pax are livid! :)

My email is a Yahoo address. All other email and spam is coming through fine.

Cheers,

Joe.

This is usually indicative of a CMOS battery or BIOS issue (something that's plagued ASUS for a while. The timer on your mobo is behaving erratically, which is causing the event timer to give our calculations bad timings, which will cause the AP to do weird stuff. If replacing the CMOS battery doesn't help, you may need to flash the BIOS.

Kyle Rodgers

Interesting.

Thanks for the info Kyle. I wouldn't know how to go about replacing the battery but I'll do some homework. Will report back.

Theoretically, if the two steps you suggested didn't solve the problem - what would be the next step? I only ask out of curiosity as I find it an interesting (but frustrating) problem to have.

I suggest using the fsuipc fix.In fsuipc make those changes:

(a) disable wind and cloud turbulence

(b ) disable wind smoothing allowing the FS turbulence effects to operate.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Theoretically, if the two steps you suggested didn't solve the problem - what would be the next step? I only ask out of curiosity as I find it an interesting (but frustrating) problem to have.

Let's address at the issue at hand first before getting steps down the line.

Kyle Rodgers

No worries, understand. Thanks for your help so far, it is appreciated.

Well replacing the battery was easier than anticipated, though unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. Neither did updating the BIOS. The good news is, my BIOS version is now the current one!

I've included a few screenshots of my P3D and FSUIPC settings. Won't post my AS16 settings as the program wasn't running while doing my test flights, all done on Clear Skies preset. The screenshot from the sim was taken only a few minutes ago. Some of the deviations are much less dramatic, maybe up to 5° of bank. If there's any other settings etc. that you need pics of, just let me know.

settings_zpsjtnkkzlw.png

2017-2-22_20-43-47-528_zpspiexracw.png

The realism and display settings are great and all, but the question was about weather, and while you got display weather, we really need the actual affects-the-aircraft weather panel (thank you LM, for two sections both called 'weather'). You'll see it near the bottom under 'world'.

You can see in your picture that your AP is trying to re-center itself. With that in mind, I'm not fully convinced that your mobo issues are resolved. Have you noticed any other computer oddities? Difficulty connecting to wireless, etc?

To troubleshoot outside of that line: What are your frame rates during this time? What are your World - Weather settings? Have you followed the intro manual's recommended settings?

Kyle Rodgers

G'day Kyle,

Bugger completely forgot about those other weather settings, I'll post those up when I get home.

My frame rates have been great lately, during that last test run it would have been early 40s in the VC.

The computer has no other issues I'm aware of, no wireless card so can't test that unfortunately. I'm not a huge gamer but everything I have has been behaving itself.

I have gone through the into manual but will do it again as a sanity check.