Sign in to follow this  
vegasjon

Can't print manual

Another benefit to getting a tablet is its usefulness for charts, maps, planning, and other useful features. 

Not only can you quickly pull up some reference material from the FCOM or QRH, but with the appropriate app or sources you can also fetch the approach plates you may need for your coming landing. You can even integrate it with your simulation to provide moving map features if you so desire. 

Granted, a tablet is an investment that is hard to justify exclusively for flight simulation use, but if you can find it in your budget, I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what that thin slab of a computer can bring to the table.

Personally - I've never used mine as a tool for reading manuals, but that is about to change tonight. I never made the "connection" about doing that, and considering I hope to step through the 747's tutorials tonight, maybe it's high time to do so!

Cheers,

-Greg

did exactly that- all set...Also use my iPad 2 as well, just not as convenient but that's fine...I'd rather have them in any format than non at all!

Just out of curiosity, if a document can't be printed, we simply shouldn't include it?

If that's so, it would save us a tremendous amount on not having to license the actual Boeing manuals for you all to use.

Hi Kyle;

That's not what I was saying...I was just saying that a printed copy of some of the items from the QRH or FCOM is sometimes helpful as you can lay it out in front of you while you're piloting or experiencing a simulated emergency. I do use my iPad as an EFB so thats where I have Navigraph running and stuff. Anyhow, any documentation you provide is always a plus so I'm not knocking you guys for that- I applaud all you do for the community and I know there are expenses to it as well.

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC

Jon,

Was just trying to understand your earlier question. Seems like it was just spoken in frustration, which is somewhat understandable. All the same, I'd argue that it's better to have them in the state they're in than not at all.

Kyle Rodgers

There will be plenty of downloadable  / printable checklists available online very soon I would expect. Have you tried to highlight & copy text from the manuals & make your own checklist? I have done that in the past.

UPS123.png

Sometimes, printing a document would be easier to scan through if it is printed especially things like the QRH when you need to get a section quickly during an emergency. 

Jon,

Was just trying to understand your earlier question. Seems like it was just spoken in frustration, which is somewhat understandable. All the same, I'd argue that it's better to have them in the state they're in than not at all.

I agree 100%! Thanks for the feedback!

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC

Sometimes, printing a document would be easier to scan through if it is printed especially things like the QRH when you need to get a section quickly during an emergency.

think i disagree  since  alot  easier uisng  a tablet  or ipad just  to click the section  you want  and it  takes  you  straight  away, no  looking  thru  pages  and  pages  looking  for  the title

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

You have to have a table of contents maybe and click accurately to go to the page that you want. This is personal preference. 

You have to have a table of contents

There is  a table of  contents in the QRH, 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

You have to have a table of contents maybe and click accurately to go to the page that you want. This is personal preference. 

Agreed, and I can never understand why so few add-ons have manuals with clickable PDF contents, it's not as if it's difficult to do.

Happily, there is a solution, at least if you use Foxit PDF reader (I haven't used Adobe Reader for ages). Foxit allows you to create your own bookmarks which are retained if you save the PDF file. The bookmarks are displayed in a left-hand pane, giving you a clickable table of contents.

It would be wonderful if PMDG would sell a printed manual with cover as a more exclusive option. I for one would gladly pay for such a manual. My thoughts were to have the manual pro printed out and bound in some fancy cover but now see that is not possible.

I do like the tablet idea and had not thought of doing then even though I do have a Samsung tablet.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Just out of curiosity, if a document can't be printed, we simply shouldn't include it?

If that's so, it would save us a tremendous amount on not having to license the actual Boeing manuals for you all to use.

Hello Kyle,

Will PMDG offer the printed/bound manuals for this 747, like they used to. I've purchased the Captain's set for the NGX, MD11 and 777, but never got to purchase them for the 747 when they were available ):

I would love to buy a set, even if you just have a spare set laying in the warehouse.

Thank you,

Bob

And a tablet lets you use any of the cdu apps for the 737 and 747..... awesome !

And Navigraph charts....... approach plates look ace on a tablet.

As for PDF passwords..... lol. Do the math.

On Thursday, February 02, 2017 at 5:47 AM, pete_auau said:

There is  a table of  contents in the QRH, 

Yes, but it's not hot linked.

spacer.png

You don't want to print a 1000+ manual, unless it's your boss printer:biggrin:

On a tablet you can easely search a word or frase and find it within seconds, don't try that on a printed manual...

• Upvote 1