Sign in to follow this  
737freak

Repaintable PMDG service vehicles?

Hello,

I had a question regarding the new animated PMDG ground service vehicles of the 747v3:

Can they be repainted to match the used airline livery or to match the airport? If so, can these paints be included in the .ptp repaint packages?

Thanks in advance!  :smile:

• Upvote 1

Henk de Vries

Hello,

I had a question regarding the new animated PMDG ground service vehicles of the 747v3:

Can they be repainted to match the used airline livery or to match the airport? If so, can these paints be included in the .ptp repaint packages?

Thanks in advance!  :smile:

I haven't looked too deeply into yet, but I imagine the short answer is yes.

I'm guessing you'd have to create a copy of the vehicles into the local folder of your repaint and modify them there...that is how it usually works.

I'm not at my PC where I can check for sure, but I'm pretty sure that will be how you do it. 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks Steve! That makes sense. I just hope it is possible to package service vehicle pains with the actual liveries.

Henk de Vries

Thanks Steve! That makes sense. I just hope it is possible to package service vehicle pains with the actual liveries.

That will be completely up to the painter...as long as the texture maps for the custom ground vehicles are in the livery folder when we package it up for distribution it should work great.

On a side thought...that would be a good project for a painter...create a library of livery-specific ground vehicles anyone could add to their fleet.  Hmmm..... :Thinking:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

After reviewing how they've built and deployed the vehicle models, it will be trickier than I originally thought.

They are stored in the SimObjects\MISC folder.

What I'm theorizing you'd do is create texture folders under each vehicle corresponding to each livery you'd like to link it to...here is the sim.cfg file in that folder...

[fltsim.0]
title=PMDG_Services_Maintenance_Van
model=MaintenanceVan
texture=UPS

[General]
category=GroundVehicle

[contact_points]
wheel_radius=1.40
static_pitch=0.0         //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
static_cg_height=0.0     //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground

[DesignSpecs]
max_speed_mph = 30
acceleration_constants = 0.3, 0.4     //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max G acceleration

deceleration_constants = 0.2, 0.4     //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max G acceleration

As noted in red above, you'd have to add a texture.UPS folder and hold the UPS textures there.  (The line originally reads just texture=)

Unfortunately, you'd have to manually adjust the sim.cfg files in each of the vehicle's folders to make them all reflect you're about to fly a UPS Freighter (for example).

WARNING: I am NOT Advocating anyone do this unless you are very adept at file and folder manipuation..and of course don't expect support from PMDG if you tinker.  If you must...make backups!

So...with all that said...MAYBE one of our intrepid coders out there who are adept at writing small apps to do things like this may create one that automates the whole process...OR....our great PMDG team would look upon this as a cool new feature in a future release?

Maybe this is all covered in the SDK for those who tinker with that (I never have...I just paint, hehe)

Anyway...something to ponder later after we're looking to make our experience even more realistic...for right now...I'm cool with PMDG ground equipment!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve et al,

Modifying folders at that level is just going to create more problems than it is worth. We have a different solution than you guys are attempting to do so leave it alone until further notice please.

This will change in a future update.

Stay tuned...

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Steve et al,

Modifying folders at that level is just going to create more problems than it is worth. We have a different solution than you guys are attempting to do so leave it alone until further notice please.

Stay tuned...

Hehe..I was hoping you guys may have had something in the works (or plan to)

What can I say....Idle hands and a curious nature...they've both gotten me in trouble and furthered my career(s)...just have to apply a little common sense before you start playing with things.  :wink:

I have no desire to play with this though Jason...even if you guys didn't have a potential solution on the horizon....I really don't mind PMDG vehicles buzzing around the Queen. :smile:

Can't wait to see what you guys have planned.  Thanks for the heads up Jason!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve et al,

Stay tuned...

Many thanks for the reply, Jason. Glad to hear you guys are aware of this 'shortcoming'. Looking forward to airline-matching service vehicles in a future update. :smile:

Henk de Vries