Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

So glad that I dragged my feet in upgrading my CPU/Motherboard!

Since loading and running XP11 B9, and AeroFly 2, I have seen that my present CPU (an i7-975 Extreme) and my GTX1070 FTW GPU, was never truly an impediment to great FPS performance.  Both sims have amply displayed that!  Getting near 40 plus (43-44) FPS now in B9, with the sim sliders-tricked out...(never achieved higher than 33..ever before in XP10 or 11 betas to date), and a locked down 120 constant FPS in Aerofly 2 with all settings set to Ultra.

I have no need to chase FPS in P3D (whatever) or FSX-boxed (Steve's Fixer DX10), by upgrading the CPU/Motherboard combo.

It was never the lack of horsepower, in my 6 year old CPU/Motherboard...nope...it was the ancient coding of the M.S. franchise that was choking my FPS potential.

So...I raise a glass to XP 11 RTM, when it comes...am having a blast with Aerofly 2, and will raise another glass when that releases as an R.C.x or RTM version, and life is good on the FPS Farm home front...

Whatever I presently glean from FSX or P3D, well..."it is.....what it is...", and won't be spending any more money to chase a few; 10-15 percent more FPS out of that long-in-the-tooth engine, and having to spend hundreds of dollars to to just that...  Nope....

Happy to see where the XP and Aerofly 2 franchises are going...with the FPS rising with each Beta for probably either...

Now..I only have to learn to be comfortable with WED (whatever) and start pounding out my own custom airports, real world, as well as fantasy...

Cheers 'n beers,

Ses

• Upvote 1

Cheers.  I too was dragging my feet, no times to deal with HW upgrade.  Default P3D is not too bad, it's the death of the add-ons.  Another issue with the P3D engine is the microstuttering, even with high FPS.  HW upgrade won't solve that.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

So...I raise a glass to XP 11 RTM, when it comes...am having a blast with Aerofly 2, and will raise another glass when that releases as an R.C.x or RTM version, and life is good on the FPS Farm home front...

Well, I do share in your glorious statements about the performance of XP.  I happily abandoned P3D a while ago, and considering the current climate on that front, I am still happy I cut the cord on that.  For me, I found the move to a 64-bit environment encouraging and I have a lot of time logged with Xp to honestly say that I should have made the move a lot sooner.  I lived, I learned, my wallet suffered, but putting the brakes on contributing to 32-bit sims was a good move.  Now I know people will pick apart everything I state here, and quite frankly I don't care, when I say that there IS a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit performance.  X-Plane has yet to genuinely fail me, from the final version of XP10.5 to XP11 B9, I have had nothing but good experiences with them.  Couple that with the fact that there are so many talented people out there, creating scenery, airports, aircraft and utlities for XP, for free, is something to be thankful for.  I raise a glass to all of them, and when I can donate, I do.  THIS is where the real talent lies right now.  When you can download an airport from one person, that has the same, if not better quality than payware, that says something.  I'm personally getting sick to death with companies squeezing out more and more money from the consumer and delivering half developed products, or delivering lousy c/s.

Long story short: I vote with my wallet now.  I found my niche and I'm sticking to it.  My hats off to LR and I wish them continued success.

I should not though, keeping it fairly on topic, that I pulled the trigger on a new rig recently, but only due to my old eyes.  I am one of the select few with great experience with a sim on a laptop, so in keeping with that, my new rig is decked out with all the latest goodies, which I know will equate to better performance and I'll be ready for the future endeavors of LR as well.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Well, I do share in your glorious statements about the performance of XP.  I happily abandoned P3D a while ago, 

1+

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

I checked out X11 on my brother's rig for the first time, only a few days ago; and I was VERY impressed! Only the demo and default planes, but graphics and sound is awesome, fps supersmooth and flight modelling superb. Add to that the immersion from realistic lights, traffic which is easy on fps and of course sloped runways...

Well I'll just say this 30 minute session brought back all the excitement of flight simming from long gone days, and all without any tweak at all..

So I will go straight to X11 (and Aerofly2 - I already have Aerofly1 and like it) and skip FSX and P3D completely.

My office is lookin into paying for a new state-of-the-art home PC for me so I can do movie editing and graphics work from home so I might have a rig up to running a 64bit state of the art flight sim in the near future :dance: :dance: :dance:

You said it, and I'm going to pick your statement apart;

I lived, I learned, my wallet suffered, but putting the brakes on contributing to 32-bit sims was a good move.

+1 Check

Couple that with the fact that there are so many talented people out there, creating scenery, airports, aircraft and utlities for XP, for free, is something to be thankful for.

+1 Preach!!!

When you can download an airport from one person, that has the same, if not better quality than payware, that says something.

+1 Indeed

I'm personally getting sick to death with companies squeezing out more and more money from the consumer and delivering half developed products, or delivering lousy c/s.

+1 It's criminal!

I vote with my wallet now.  I found my niche and I'm sticking to it.

+1 Mine happens to be just a little thicker now that I've gone to XP11.

I'm just giddy when I hear talk about XP!  I am one of those guys that spent a ton of money and a trip to Mars (in time) trying to get FSX and then P3D to work like XP does now.  I found a great platform and community of amateur developers in XP and I'm staying!  Feels good to not be worried about OOM and CTD errors anymore.  And, by the way, 25-40 FPS isn't ALWAYS PERFECT but, it's a nice place to be.. 

Right back at ya

I'm just giddy when I hear talk about XP!  I am one of those guys that spent a ton of money and a trip to Mars (in time) trying to get FSX and then P3D to work like XP does now.  I found a great platform and community of amateur developers in XP and I'm staying!  Feels good to not be worried about OOM and CTD errors anymore.  And, by the way, 25-40 FPS isn't ALWAYS PERFECT but, it's a nice place to be.. 

I didn't get the trip to Mars, but I hear where you're coming from.  I believe a lot of people, in the flight simulator community, have invested (or were scammed out of) a lot of money over the years, and now that the playing field has gotten interesting, it is up to us to take a step back and assess where we want to be, either dealing with tweaking and analyzing or just flying.  If I knew then what I know now about how much research, frustration, headaches, failed marriages and loss of income would befall my life because of misinterpreted, misrepresented and ultimate deception by various developers, I would have taken a whole different approach to this hobby.  As I said, we live and learn and ultimately, it's our choice.  i see so many "######" out there, praising products, but if you read between the lines, i see it more as guilt, coupled with buyer's remorse.  Just the other day, I stumbled on a discussion by a certain developer that infuriated me so much, and only because of the way they were handling customer discussion.  Aside from their products causing issues for so long, it was the c/s that stood out the most.  Further into the discussion, the ###### emerged to defend the developer, but if you knew their history, you could understand that what they were really doing is praising the company because of what they invested in for so long...holding out hope and at the same time, still buying products from that company, as if they were dealing with digital drug dealers, waiting to get their next fix.

When I say "vote with your wallet", I mean it as making a statement to developers that if they truly produce a quality product that works for you, then keep contributing.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

LOL..feel sorry for those that had spent $$$$$ on P3D.

Was FSX user for years but did not spent too much $$$ on it, perhaps no more then $300 total.

Since XP v9 came out I switched and have never looked back, tried P3D (paid 1 month subscription) but didn't like it because all the downsides (no need to mention the obvious) and so my wallet has been very happy since v9, no loss of income, frustration, headaches or failed marriages.... :dance:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

To comment on my last post, what's with the #####?  For the record, no curse word was used.  In fact, it was a mainstream word, completely devoid of derogatory meaning.

Back to topic: I fell for what I considered, clever marketing.  I bought into the idea that I was getting something more advanced, more developed, but part of my problem was that I didn't fully research what the ESP was really about.  Hindsight being 20/20, I probably would have stuck with FSX, like Carlos, but I didn't.  Look, I DO regret the large sum of money I spent on products for P3D, but not FSX, since I had to restart somewhere.  I'm sure I could get some agreement that when something new comes out, you have hopes that it works better than its predecessor.  I think FSX did, for the most part, but when you start factoring add-ons into the equation, then that's where the fun began.  For P3D, again I thought I would be getting something more advanced, but as Roger Daltrey once said "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".  I never really gained much more from what I already had.  Anyways, it's water under the bridge now.  I put the brakes on that path and now, I'm on a better one.  My financial investment in XP is much smaller right now, because I do take a more informed approach.  Once XP11 goes RTM, then at that point, I'll make some considerations into other add-ons, but I'm in no hurry.

To comment on my last post, what's with the #####?  For the record, no curse word was used.  In fact, it was a mainstream word, completely devoid of derogatory meaning.

Back to topic: I fell for what I considered, clever marketing.  I bought into the idea that I was getting something more advanced, more developed, but part of my problem was that I didn't fully research what the ESP was really about.  Hindsight being 20/20, I probably would have stuck with FSX, like Carlos, but I didn't.  Look, I DO regret the large sum of money I spent on products for P3D, but not FSX, since I had to restart somewhere.  I'm sure I could get some agreement that when something new comes out, you have hopes that it works better than its predecessor.  I think FSX did, for the most part, but when you start factoring add-ons into the equation, then that's where the fun began.  For P3D, again I thought I would be getting something more advanced, but as Roger Daltrey once said "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".  I never really gained much more from what I already had.  Anyways, it's water under the bridge now.  I put the brakes on that path and now, I'm on a better one.  My financial investment in XP is much smaller right now, because I do take a more informed approach.  Once XP11 goes RTM, then at that point, I'll make some considerations into other add-ons, but I'm in no hurry.

I'm in the same boat, here, quite frankly.  I bought my system around 2008, so my CPU/Motherboard is actually around 9 (corrected my original post) years old now.  The system came with a GTX480, and since 2008, went from that, to a GTX680, and then replaced towards the end of last year, with a GTX1070FTW.  I always followed quite closely, the HW forums, HOPING to read that the latest iteration of CPU's and their required Motherboards, were finally bringing us into the mid to high; 40's, or higher for FPS running ESP driven sims,...(and yes folks, but with your sim opened right up...no downplay of sliders, other than Traffic set to 35 percent, as I always had in FSX/P3D...in any section, that is my user-set up/constant)

My ESP driven flight experience with the above, and the sim set as mentioned above, was mostly 27-33 FPS, with dips at some times to 17 FPS.  I think I had three O.O.M.'s during the entire time, because I mostly fly/flew in the G.A. genome.  I have no major software investments in heavy iron for FSX/P3D, as some have.

Well...during all those nine years of 'sitting in the bush', CPU/Motherboard wise, I read, ...took in the user experiences on AVSIM, and quite frankly, for the money some of the users spent to upgrade their CPU/Motherboard, from what they 'system bought in' at...AND, most importantly, for the major disappointments,  in what they actually got in FPS increase, and in hoping to transition out of the stutter run, mico, or major, and......... it NOT jelling as they anticipated it would in the CPU/Motherboard upgrade, I kept holding back from my own i7-975 Extreme upgrade myself, for hoping to break into the 40's FPS range (not peak, but sustainable).

I then decided to just accept what my i7-975 Extreme produces within FSX/P3D, and if ever there was a tech blow-out, would buy the latest CPU/Motherboard at that time due to obvious necessity.   

Then...XP 11 (beta's and their progression came about) and I bought in.  AeroFly 2 came about, and I bought in.  I went from ESP-33 FPS ceiling, to gain a full 33 percent FPS performance increase in XP 11 B9, and a massive, off-the-scale sustainable, 120 FPS when running AeroFly 2.  

All with my 9 year old CPU/Motherboard combo.

Hallelujah!

So, my decision, is that I am no longer truly adding Orbx titles within P3D/FSX, what I have, mostly is it.  I am most certainly going to invest in XP11 titles, and for 'you-can-take-this-to-the-bank' certainty, that this user is going to HEAVILY invest in whatever Orbx will produce for Aerofly 2, as it was announced, that there will be no Orbx activity (lame...but oh well...) for the XP franchise.  I don't see that as a great business decision in the long run...but, it 'isn't my business' to begin with...(large smile).

The money that I would have thrown away, chasing that 10-15 percent performance increase within the ESP-driven flight sims, is going to be put to very good ROI use....in adding new multi-terabyte storage to my system, in anticipation of all the great AeroFly 2 high-def photo-scenery that will come, and the same for XP's ortho-photo that can happen right now by each user's conversion to such.  That is where my future HW expenditures are going.   

XP11 (64 bit) and AeroFly 2 (64 bit) has shown me without doubt, that any...any...CPU/Motherboard of the last 9 years, could have delivered a totally acceptable and stutter free, flight animation experience, if it was not asked to do so, driving the ESP graphics engine.

Sometimes...(large smile), it pays to procrastinate...as it did in my case.  We now have two great choices XP11/AeroFly 2, to run with for system FPS performance, (at high/full sim internal settings)...and Outerra is also coming more into view, each day. The next three years, are really going to be interesting in this hobby's development!!!!

HW (other than graphic cards and their increasing on-board memory tech) did not bring reasonable R.O.I. to the ESP experience.  There were no 'explosive' FPS propagations, for the hundreds of dollars invested to that pursuit, by quite a few AVSIM regulars.  Not any user experiences that I read, anyways.

XP 11..bring it on...

AeroFly 2..bring it on

Outerra..bring it on

Ses is ready, with open arms... :hi:  :Cuppa:

• Upvote 1

I might consider moving to XP when it has a decent weather program (with powerful options similar to Active Sky) and realistic AI traffic that interacts properly with ATC. I bought XP11 and I can see the plus sides, but it has these huge drawbacks which brings it right back to P3D's level IMHO.

I might consider moving to XP when it has a decent weather program (with powerful options similar to Active Sky) and realistic AI traffic that interacts properly with ATC. I bought XP11 and I can see the plus sides, but it has these huge drawbacks which brings it right back to P3D's level IMHO.

Right, everybody will be driven by what the 'need list' holds.  All opinions, as always are valid.  We all make our 'moves', when the time is right for the individual flight sim'mer. :)

Right now, I'm in a really 'good' flight simming 'space', FPS performance-wise.

I have 3 sims onboard that produce that:

XP 11 B9

AF 2

FS9.9 (Evo 2016/17)

FSX-boxed and P3D.x, further investment wise for the most part, are now retired.

My experience mirrors Carlos's, I didn't sink much money into Fsx because it didn't really run that well on the system I had at the time. But, I've always have had a good experience with X-Plane it always just worked out of the box without much fuss.

I put a lot of time & $$$$$ into my FSX. I do not see myself becoming obsessed about XP 11 as I did for FSX. I can blame experience for that decision.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I put a lot of time & $$$$$ into my FSX. I do not see myself becoming obsessed about XP 11 as I did for FSX

I don't have much invested in X-Plane at all, in fact I probably spent more on FSX last year than I did on X-Plane, and I use X-Plane 90% of the time :-). Maybe because few payware addons for X-Plane actually impress me enough to buy them, whereas on FSX they actually do impress me. The sad truth for me is that addons on FSX are often much better quality and are more worth the money paid for them.  Of course, the competition is harder on FSX as well. P3D is another story completely and I won't use or pay twice the price for the same addon that I may have already paid for.