Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ayad

Circuit Breakers

I am aware that in previous PMDG releases circuit breakers were not modeled due to limitations in FSX and P3D. I am also fully aware that in some addons the circuit breakers are completely modeled. I want to know are the cicuit breakers modeled in the new 747 V3?

I wish they were modeled. It would add a lot to the simulations especially when it says in the QRH to reset circuit breakers. 

It really wouldn't, though. Pilots really aren't allowed to touch them. I know it seems neat, but you really don't mess with them at all. Of the SOPs I'm aware, pilots are not to touch them, at all. They verify their state matches the books. Done.

...plus, it would bring the sim to its knees to model all of those click spots in the VC.

Kyle Rodgers

The Aerowinx 747 allows you to pop the circuit breakers, if that floats your boat.

Petraeus

Andrew,

Manufacturer's guidance to flight crew falls into one of two categories:

1) Reset a CB one time.  If it fails a second time, leave it alone.

2) Never reset a CB.

In 20+ years of flying, I have operated a number of CBs, but usually while on the phone with maintenance in the process of conducting an MEL compliance in order to get the airplane back to a hub where a mechanic can address the issue in person.

In flight, if a breaker pops- you would be a half-brain-dead-fool to start playing with the things.  It is the fastest way to get an uncontrollable onboard fire- and NOTHING (aside from pissing off my mum) scares me more than fire on an airplane.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert,

I love your new PMDG QOTSII

"NOTHING (aside from pissing off my mum) scares me more than fire on an airplane." 

I agree with you 100% on this!  Fire or smoke in the cockpit can lead to a potential disaster in a matter of minutes and the QRH cannot possibly prepare a pilot or crew for every eventuality when it actually happens.  One airline I know of would allow one reset by the crew provided all other indications were normal before the attempt was made. Pulling a CB was also allowed when it was a required action whilst carrying out an Abnormal or Emergency procedure.  Apart from that pulling a CB in flight was strictly off limits.  

BTW, you should meet my mum if you think you have problems!

Bertie G

There were cases in the past of pilots playing with CB's that led to some terrible crashes, pulling engine computer breakers leading to over speed on the turbine and subsequent failure, pulling the slats CB to experiment with extending the flaps at cruise, FO comes back to cockpit and resets it, slats deploy, loss of control, there are others...

I am quite happy not to have to fiddle with them in a sim. Now, if PMDG do an aircraft maintenance simulator, then thats a different story..

We don't mess with circuit breakers in the airplane.  It would be a waste of time and resources to make them operational.