Sign in to follow this  
CaptCraig

Weirdly shaking engines

Hey Guys,

Love the plane. I think it may be my special effects settings but I've noticed the engines shaking but it's not smooth.  Kind of jumpy. Do you know what I mean? Anybody else experiencing that? I may have missed the page in the manual about optimal P3D settings.

Craig

Hi Craig.  A couple things...

1.  Page 101 in the PMDG 747 Introduction PDF describes the setting available to you for enabling/disabling 5 types of "shaking" built in to the 747 QOTS.  The settings are found on the CDU under MENU/PMDG SETUP/OPTIONS/SIMULATION/PAGE 9/10.  Suggest you experiment with these to see if it changes the engine shaking behavior you're experiencing.

2.  If you have EZDok v2.0 installed, it also injects "fuselage" and "camera" shaking.  Suggest you disable these and then work with one system at a time to see which helps improve the behavior.

Blue skies!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If you have EZDok v2.0 installed

It's not ezdok as I have that turned off with the Queen and I do have all the shakes enabled in the FMC.  This is the nacelles engine shake. It's very abrupt and not very smooth. It may be a setting in P3D but I'll have to go through the intro manual again and browse through the info.  

It's not ezdok as I have that turned off with the Queen and I do have all the shakes enabled in the FMC.  This is the nacelles engine shake. It's very abrupt and not very smooth. It may be a setting in P3D but I'll have to go through the intro manual again and browse through the info.  

What are your frames like?

Kyle Rodgers

What are your frames like?

Anywhere between 30 and 20 maybe a bit lower for short periods in a heavy scenery situation. What frame rate would you start seeing these artifacts? 

What frame rate would you start seeing these artifacts? 

Not sure, but the lower the frames go, the more jerky you'll see it (potentially).

Kyle Rodgers

Not sure, but the lower the frames go, the more jerky you'll see it (potentially).

OK I'll keep an eye out for it again. Are my special effects settings OK at Medium you think? That matter at all in this case? 

I've noticed this same issue today. My frames aren't great though so that may be some of it. My ASN has been crazy with the turbulence lately. I have gotten bad turbulence on every flight I've done regardless of aircraft. I will say I LOVE the shaking in the cockpit. That, coupled with the sounds it makes while shaking, really makes me feel like she is getting beaten up by the turbulence. Outstanding job on that!

Craig/Ken,

We had a couple of reports during beta testing that seemed to indicate FSX wasn't bothering to animate the pylon flexing until some random time after the sim is launched... and this would cause the engines to suddenly shiver like a dog shaking off water.

We saw it once... but weren't able to duplicate it.

If you notice a pattern to it, let me know and I'll dive into it a bit.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I also have the odd shaking of the engines.. I made a video of it happening..

OMG and RR's description matches the behavior exactly! :lol:   Weird.  I have not had much time with her...but I have not seen that in the P3D version so far....so maybe limited to FSX like you theorize Robert?

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I saw this once on taxi out at YSSY on my first flight, but it has not done it again. The engines kinda jumped and wiggled like crazy for a few seconds, then back to normal for the whole flight.

Will see if it happens again.

This was in P3D

Nameless (above- who just got warned for failure to comply.  LOL)

That is precisely what we saw.  Couple questions:

1) Can you replicate it?

2) If yes, how?

3) Did it eventually damp down, growing less and less until it stopped?  OR: did it grow larger and larger until it stopped?

Trying to figure out which way the oscillation equation might be running away....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

so maybe limited to FSX like you theorize Robert?

Nah I'm getting it in P3d, but it doesn't last as long as the video. I've noticed it once during pushback and once while they were at 50% N1 before TO/GA.  Strange eh? Robert's description is perfect. It's like your Mom's 25 year old washing machine during the spin cycle. 

Nameless (above- who just got warned for failure to comply.  LOL)

That is precisely what we saw.  Couple questions:

1) Can you replicate it?

2) If yes, how?

3) Did it eventually damp down, growing less and less until it stopped?  OR: did it grow larger and larger until it stopped?

Trying to figure out which way the oscillation equation might be running away....

Going to try to replicate. It doesn't seem like one of those things where you can replicate it though. Seems random (but obviously there's nothing random with software).

(but obviously there's nothing random with software)
Cough cough... have you met Windows 10... and Vista for that matter... I deal with random, unreproducible software problems daily. Its no fun.
  • Upvote 1