Sign in to follow this  
paulh1

PFPX

Hi All

I couldn't find a specific forum so I will use this.

Question 1

Does anyone know, when editing a flight plan created in PFPX how to remove the (FAP) waypoint?

This is the last waypoint before landing. I can delete any other waypoint except this one.

The (FAP) waypoint is in the wrong position for the RNAV approach I am trying to create from an approach plate.

Question 2

Has any developer thought about using Google Earth as the next generation scenery base for FSX. Instead of gigabytes of artificially created scenery

It seems so obvious that this would be the best scenery base for flight simming.

You just need to level areas where airports would be placed.

You can already connect a joystick and fly the world over google earth. However its so basic with the aircraft and controls.

What is preventing anyone from developing this?

Thx Paul

Question 2

Has any developer thought about using Google Earth as the next generation scenery base for FSX. Instead of gigabytes of artificially created scenery

It seems so obvious that this would be the best scenery base for flight simming.

Not sure about your first question but in response to your second question there are a few reasons.

1. Using photoreal to cover the whole earth would use a lot more hard drive space than the gigabytes of artificially created scenery you mentioned, be it Orbx or GEX. The way it's done know uses a set number of ground tiles for different area and then uses the landclass system to place those textures to represent towns, farms, cities, etc. Since they can be reused in many places it takes a lot less space. As an example, go to the MegaScenery Earth store and see how gigs of data each state is, then add up all these states available for the US and multiply that for every continent and you'll get the idea of how much hard drive space or multiple hard drives you'd need.

2. Photoreal scenery source data is not always perfect. Sometime there are clouds in it, colorization is off, etc. It wouldn't really be feasible for a developer to try to get perfect global photoreal and not have to correct it to make it look good, just to huge of a job to tackle. Maybe in the future it could be streamed into the sim, but that's probably some years off from now unless you use tileproxy.

Your not the only person who's asked or though of it, but now you know the reason why it's not done.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Paul,

Not at my sim computer at the moment so can't check this but from memory if there was a waypoint I couldn't delete when editing the flight plan route it was because it was part of an approach or departure procedure.

This can automatically be selected if you have allowed PFPX to nominate a runway to use, both for take off or landing based on the weather report it is using. By deselecting the runway in the flight plan then this will probably solve your issue.

I hope.  :smile: 

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit