Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Can I start a flight from the default runway?

In a word, no. If you're pushed for time the closest you could get is the holding point.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Actually you can. You can even begin on the runway, configure RC for the F/O to handle the comms, and RC will do everything automatically, up to and including the takeoff clearance.

Your only "risk" is that RC may assign a different departure runway than the sim initially identifies as the default runway. So in rare cases you may have to request a change to the runway you're on.

Sorry, Ray, for treading on your toes. But since the Manchester release AS have banned me from their forum, so I hang around here more!   :Party:

It's been a long time since I tried this because it goes against all the logic of using an ATC program. I have to ask the OP why would you want to treat your flights like this?

I have tried lining up before being given clearance to do so and was told off in no uncertain terms. That was during testing. Maybe if you're already on the runway that check is missed.

I suggest the OP try it and report back.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Touché, Ray, frequently ATC barks at me for runway incursion ("I told you to hold short!!"), but technically, RC will carry on and finally issue a takeoff clearance.

A reason for starting on the runway could be that the sim can easily place you on it right from the "Fly Now!" screen, but not immediately at a holding point. Of course the OP could start on the runway, slew the aircraft to the nearest holding point, and start RC from there.

Touché, Ray, frequently ATC barks at me for runway incursion ("I told you to hold short!!"), but technically, RC will carry on and finally issue a takeoff clearance.

Frequently?  :sad:  I hope you're treating your flights seriously. RC is not a game. That's not me, that what you'll hear if you ignore a go-around. I am guilty of that when time is short.

A reason for starting on the runway could be that the sim can easily place you on it right from the "Fly Now!" screen, but not immediately at a holding point. Of course the OP could start on the runway, slew the aircraft to the nearest holding point, and start RC from there.

It's pretty easy to slew sideways onto the taxiway. Minimal time wasted and you might even get praise in the critique assuming you listen to it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, when I am learning a new aircraft (I have 2 that I haven't flown yet) I like to not have to worry about the startup, and just go, then as I become more comfortable with actually flying, I move on to ground stuff, which can in some cases take quite awhile, and as I said, when I get a new aircraft, or just want to learn a new one I start from whatever runway FSX plops me at. I hope this makes sense. I don't mind not using RC4, though it feels weird when flying something like Airbus or Boeing... I won't touch FSX's default ATC at all.

Dragon mount,

If you want to use RC4 without it telling you off for disobeying instructions just place your aircraft on the runway then slew sideways to a nearby taxiway.

Then start RC4 and go through the usual procedures. Taxi time into the runway is minimal.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather