Sign in to follow this  
blacktiger

Test flight review, difficult manual landing

Hi folks

I just downloaded that masterpiece of PMDG beast and wanted to try it straight away.

I have lots of hours experience of manual landing the PMDG 777-200LR, successfully......but that "Queen of the Skies" makes me a bit crazy.....I explain:

Running on FSX

747-400 Cathay RR-Engines. Payload 75%, Aproaching an airport with 11000 Lbs Fuel left on board, side-wind about 17 knots, Runway 8558 feet long.

Autobrake 3, Approach Speed 144 knots. Everything looks good until the beast is touching down to the runway (Autopilot off and autothrottle off at about 1000 ft above ground).

The plane doesnt loose speed on ground and is veering to the left. Also trying to flare before touching down I feel and hear the engines somehow spooling abit up.

I really dont know if its that friction difference it has in compare with the 777. Is it really so hard to keep on the runway?

Landing with the same parameters but with AUTOLAND and letting the AP doing the flare and rollout, the beast keeps on the runway altough i see that it takes more time to loose speed than a 777.

Has it to be like that?

Does anybody out there experience the same?

I am eager to read your experiences

Regards

Alex

Alex - Do you have a physical throttle on your joystick or yoke?  It is possible you have it set for high thrust, and when you disconnect the AP and A/T, the engines spool up to match your throttle.  Just a though off the top of my head.

You can read about thrust lever position and your joystick in the PMDG 747 Introduction PDF on page 96.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

The plane doesnt loose speed on ground and is veering to the left

That 17 knot crosswind isn't helping you on your first few landings in a new plane, honestly.

...but yes, we've re-worked the entire ground physics model to escape the issues of the flight sim. Keep in mind that you also have a huge sail on the back of your plane that the aforementioned crosswind can press against to get a nice lever arm's worth of turning force.

Kyle Rodgers

Update:

Thanks for your answers and hints.
I do manual flying with the keyboard.... :fool: hehe yes I know...

I tried to land the big bird without any crosswind and YES....it is stable on the runway during rollout.

Its, and also what I guessed, like Kyle said in his post, crosswind and the big tail is a challenge.

So it means to me to train some of those crosswind landings with the Queen. A 747 is not a 777 thats the fact....and

it is good so....we have some new challenge flying.

Thanks to the whole PMDG Team.

Alex