Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Sizing up the paint kit.....

Could anyone do the "used" version? Would love it
Bloody hell that would give Air France a run for their money. Looks like they flew it through mud...

I am assuming all the crud collects at the nose door seam and then streaks back.

Guest BeaverDriver

This all looks very, very cool folks. Can't wait to get into this myself! Right now I'm buried in manuals (I hope to actually fly her for the first time this weekend). Quick question for you all - how do you determine the font for any given airline? I often take a "best guess " from what I have but it's rarely right on. Ideas woul be appreciated.

Glenn Davy

This all looks very, very cool folks. Can't wait to get into this myself! Right now I'm buried in manuals (I hope to actually fly her for the first time this weekend). Quick question for you all - how do you determine the font for any given airline? I often take a "best guess " from what I have but it's rarely right on. Ideas woul be appreciated.

Glenn Davy

Some airlines use public available fonts, such as Lufthansa (Helvetica Black and variants), others use custom fonts, like BA (Mylius) and EK (Not sure, I just call it EK font)

If you know where to look or ask, you can sometimes get these fonts, but I am not sure on the legality of it.

I have the BA and EK fonts but probably would not publish an airplane using them.

Generally if airline fonts are not available I will do a vector copy off a photo

On the side note I might be attempting to do "AirBridge Cargo" for the ERF model next.

Oh ok..I'm not planning AirBridge...so no duplicates there hehe.

I chose this one to do while finding my way with the paintkit. Which is a bit different to previous paintkits. But i think I like working from the master entirely, rather than having most of the detail work at the seperate fuselage .psd(s) level. Quicker in the paint - check - repaint cycle. You really only have to pass the livery though the fuse psd(s) on the final builds to pick up the alpha channel. Yes I'd have liked more goodies in the weathering layers, but it won't take much time to work up a catalogue of grungy bits to mix and match. 

This is the same reg as the PMDG  UPS 747F

Hey Dave...when I push my UPS out of the hangar, I can make her a little dirty.  :wink:   Takes a bit to make a decent dirt mask though.

Looks great John!  One more on my list I can push back for a bit.  :wink:

I'm running P3d and when I try to install it it notes that 9V-SPQ already exists....I had installed the PMDG pax version 9V-SPQ before I tried to install yours....did you name yours the same in aircraft.cfg file?  Unfort I can't open the PTP file to look at it.  You may want to check it out before a lot of folks start downloading it.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

This is the same reg as the PMDG  UPS 747F

UPS_747_N581UP.jpg

Thats Filthy!!! Id love an overlay if anyone can produce anything close to this My Girl is waaaaaaaaaay to clean.

I unvailed my first full repaint today. in the past, iv cheated and used other parts of planes, and templates that are already there. but i built this lass from scratch. 

Had a little Help from Steve.... (Thanks fella) 

But here she is...Bravo Whisky Yankee.

2017_2_2_1_50_37_140.jpg

2017_2_2_11_46_55_163.jpg

note the roookie posting pics waaaaaaay to big... ill sort them in  a bit!!

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

Looks great John! One more on my list I can push back for a bit.
I'm running P3d and when I try to install it it notes that 9V-SPQ already exists....I had installed the PMDG pax version 9V-SPQ before I tried to install yours....did you name yours the same in aircraft.cfg file? Unfort I can't open the PTP file to look at it. You may want to check it out before a lot of folks start downloading it.

Ouch thx Steve looking into it. .cfg seems ok,  fat fingers somewhere though ...  :(

Guest BeaverDriver

Thanks for the info people, and very nice job on the paint Liam. Excellent work.

Glenn Davy

Can't wait for your freighter paints Steve, both F and BCF. I will probabily install each and every (non-fictional) freighter.

sig1.png
sig2.png

Looks great John! One more on my list I can push back for a bit.
I'm running P3d and when I try to install it it notes that 9V-SPQ already exists....I had installed the PMDG pax version 9V-SPQ before I tried to install yours....did you name yours the same in aircraft.cfg file? Unfort I can't open the PTP file to look at it. You may want to check it out before a lot of folks start downloading it.

OK I got to the bottom of it, found the person responsible, and hit meself on the head. I think I just chose the wrong livery to wrap up. DOH!

It'll be changed on AVSIM soon as I can, but that'll take a day.  Apologies to any who had downloaded and here's a link to the fixed installer in my DropBox until it can be fixed on AVSIM.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi9xaldp7s8g6b6/PMDG_744_jkx_SingaporeAirlinesCargo2.zip?dl=0

Aaaaagh

Sorry

Had a little Help from Steve.... (Thanks fella) 

My pleasure Liam...it's those little things that can bog down a paint job real quick!

Ouch thx Steve looking into it. .cfg seems ok,  fat fingers somewhere though

No worries John...I'm thinking you missed it in the aircraft.cfg....I've done that more than a few times myself when I'm excited to get a paint done.  I swear its those last little things that can both bog you down and trip you up.  I messed up a few FSL A320s by getting the engine type wrong (Too many copy/pastes from the previous paint's config, hehe)

Can't wait for your freighter paints Steve, both F and BCF. I will probabily install each and every (non-fictional) freighter

Thanks Luc...I see you're a KLM fan by your signature....I'm planning both a KLM cargo and a pax version.  :wink:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

My pleasure Liam...it's those little things that can bog down a paint job real quick!

No worries John...I'm thinking you missed it in the aircraft.cfg....I've done that more than a few times myself when I'm excited to get a paint done.  I swear its those last little things that can both bog you down and trip you up.  I messed up a few FSL A320s by getting the engine type wrong (Too many copy/pastes from the previous paint's config, hehe)

Thanks Luc...I see you're a KLM fan by your signature....I'm planning both a KLM cargo and a pax version.  :wink:

Dutchie here indeed. Hope you'll give KLM Asia some love too!

sig1.png
sig2.png

Dutchie here indeed. Hope you'll give KLM Asia some love too!

I should be able to paint a KLM Asia....if you have a reg in mind let me know.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hey guys,

Hoping for some help, I am no pro painter. I was using the textures from PMDG on the Qantas 747-400ER, however I made a new folder and renamed it such to have a different registration. After editing the fuselage section number 1 to change rego and aircraft name, and export back as a BMP and then using DXTBMP Converter to convert to a DDS DXT5 texture, and putting back in the folder with the correct name, I have no texture for fuselage section 1, you can see the seats and everything when opening in P3D, don't have a screenshot at the moment

Any help is appreciated 

Cheers Jacob