Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Queen of the Skies released!

PMDG has released the 747 and was hoping since I have the original that I would get a reduced price, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

Old news my friend, lol.

If you follow their posts they sticky in the main PMDG forum, they mentioned ages ago that there would be no upgrade prices since this was built from the ground up and not recycled using parts from the original version

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah I was about to post here earlier but I think that people around the world is watching the PMDG forum live yesterday. Anyway I got it right when it release, straight forward download. Bit heavier than 777 compare to FPS but VAS is the same or better, which is absolutely amazing.

I can see right away higher quality modelling then T7.

Cheers.
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

PMDG has released the 747 and was hoping since I have the original that I would get a reduced price, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

whole  new  aircraft  from  start to finish is  the reason most likely

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Not for me at least not for FSX.  I have moved on from the 747 both in real life and in the sim world.  A year ago I had one of the last flights on a Air New Zealand 747 across the Pacific the old girl was retired shortly after.  With 64 bit sims on the way I just can't justify the cost for 32 bit FSX and even 32 bit P3D.  However I would revise that if there was a definitive announcement that there wasn't going to be a 64 bit P3D in the foreseeable future.  I only do the occasional long haul in the sim and the T7 handles these just fine.  Otherwise it is the NGX which I fly most of the time.  PMDG  has just taken far too long to get this thing out the hanger door and the aviation and sim worlds have moved on.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Not for me at least not for FSX.  I have moved on from the 747 both in real life and in the sim world.  A year ago I had one of the last flights on a Air New Zealand 747 across the Pacific the old girl was retired shortly after.  With 64 bit sims on the way I just can't justify the cost for 32 bit FSX and even 32 bit P3D.  However I would revise that if there was a definitive announcement that there wasn't going to be a 64 bit P3D in the foreseeable future.  I only do the occasional long haul in the sim and the T7 handles these just fine.  Otherwise it is the NGX which I fly most of the time.  PMDG  has just taken far too long to get this thing out the hanger door and the aviation and sim worlds have moved on.

Bruceb

PMDG posted a long time ago your purchase of a p3d version includes any future LM update to 64bit. Until that day, enjoy the Queen. For 135 dollars it is a nice price for P3D. Turn your settings a notch lower, no AI boat, aircraft or ground traffic either, and you do not have fps or vas issues.

At $135 I think I will stick with the original PMDG 747 for the moment! Anyway, having rediscovered the joys (and challenges!) of basic VOR and ADF navigation on the wonderful A2A Constellation, I have given my FMC/GPS intensive 'computerliners' a well deserved rest!

Bill

Edit: I see the FSX version is $89.99 which makes it marginally more attractive, but not for me yet anyway!

• Upvote 1

PMDG has just taken far too long to get this thing out the hanger door and the aviation and sim worlds have moved on.

compared  to fsl  i  say  pmdg  did  a fantastic  job  in bringing the new  pmdg  out  of the hangar

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Wish them the best for their new bird but I picked up their previous version for $19.95 boxed a few years back.  It's plenty of enough plane for me.  Still fly it every now and then and enjoy it.  Can't justify paying five times more for their new version.  Guess I am more of an eye candy simmer than a systems simmer.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Well its a good thing we have a wide variety of planes to choose from, and its a good thing the FS world doesn't follow real world economics and only did contemporary real world stuff....otherwise we would get no Connie, Spitfire, Mustang, DC-6...et al.  After the DC-6 I hope PMDG goes for a classic jetliner...ie 727, DC-8 or whatever.  There are enough magenta line birds out now to last us for a while.  Variety is the important thing to keep this hobby fresh.

Anyway, the QOTSII 747 is awesome.   Thank you PMDG for this masterpiece.  

Cheers

TJ

I paid $30 usd less for the other one and couldn't be happier. Does essentially exactly the same thing. And does it very well indeed. Far better then I thought it would be.

PMDG posted a long time ago your purchase of a p3d version includes any future LM update to 64bit.

Perhaps you could direct me to where this has been stated by PMDG because about a year ago when I raised this very point I couldn't get a straight answer.  At 135 USD it becomes about 200 AUD for me!  Thank you.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Perhaps you could direct me to where this has been stated by PMDG because about a year ago when I raised this very point I couldn't get a straight answer. At 135 USD it becomes about 200 AUD for me! Thank you.

Bruceb

Bruce they've stated it a few times in their forum, most recently a week ago in this post that was stickied at the time. Look in the top post by the boss under the platforms section.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/502215-21jan17-pmdg-747-400-queen-of-the-skies-ii-more-release-info/

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you but I note that PMDG have not changed their position on this issue from that of a year ago, ie P3D 747 v3 purchasers are protected from further costs through v3 but not, necessarily, v4 when it is widely accepted that 64 bit will be impemented.  No idea when we will see p3d v4 but given past release cycles you would expect to see it later this calendar year.  So maybe only a few months before p3d 747v3 purchasers will have get out the cc again to stay current.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Thank you but I note that PMDG have not changed their position on this issue from that of a year ago, ie P3D 747 v3 purchasers are protected from further costs through v3 but not, necessarily, v4 when it is widely accepted that 64 bit will be impemented.  No idea when we will see p3d v4 but given past release cycles you would expect to see it later this calendar year.  So maybe only a few months before p3d 747v3 purchasers will have get out the cc again to stay current.

Bruceb

The thing is, LM has made no commitment whatsoever with regard to 64 bit. It seems logical, but I worked for LM for a number of years and the bottom line rules. If it makes them money, they will do it. if it doesn't, they won't.

David Jones