Sign in to follow this  
simsuper80

Transitioning to the 777 (or ngx) from fs9 (tips?)

I posted this prevously but I probably should have put it in this section.

I have not used a simulator for about a year and a half as I am working on getting a new PC (hopefully by July). I have some experience with complex aircraft back when I was using fs9 such as the pmdg md-11, ifly 737, and the maddog md80. I know the basics (how to use the fmc for example) and know how to use pfpx. what I didn't learn where things like the cockpit flows and procedures for starting the engines. surprisingly the one exception to that would be the maddog md-80. it took a bit of time, but back when I was using it, I knew how to start up the aircraft, and fly a flight plan all the way to shutdown. the main reason for that is because by default, the maddog started cold and dark, and that gave me an incentive learn how to fly it.

I know that the pmdg 777 and ngx (and now the queen of the skies 2) are a lot more detailed than any pmdg product from fs9. so I am wondering what transitioning to the 777 or ngx would be like? how much effort and time would it take compared with someone who say, has p3d and bought a pmdg product for the first time?

Marco D'Agostino

I have not used a simulator for about a year and a half as I am working on getting a new PC (hopefully by July). I have some experience with complex aircraft back when I was using fs9 such as the pmdg md-11, ifly 737, and the maddog md80. I know the basics (how to use the fmc for example) and know how to use pfpx. what I didn't learn where things like the cockpit flows and procedures for starting the engines. surprisingly the one exception to that would be the maddog md-80. it took a bit of time, but back when I was using it, I knew how to start up the aircraft, and fly a flight plan all the way to shutdown. the main reason for that is because by default, the maddog started cold and dark, and that gave me an incentive learn how to fly it.

Hi simsuper80,

With your experience, especially the Maddog, the 777 should be much easier.  But:  there are many differences between the 777 and the other aircraft you have flown.  Mostly it is more automated - not necessary to shut off packs for engine start, and autothrottle can remain on in a manual landing, for example.  FMC also has more automatic functions.

I suggest you begin by flying the tutorial that comes with the 777.  You can also look at Kyle Rodgers' video, which goes with Tutorial 1,  here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/418246-tutorial-video-tutorial-1/

He has also published PMDG 777 Tutorial 1.5 available for free download here:

http://precisionmanuals.com/pages/downloads/docs.html

Also, make sure you purchase the P3D version if using with P3D, not the FSX version.

BTW, PMDG wants you to use your full name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi simsuper80,

With your experience, especially the Maddog, the 777 should be much easier.  But:  there are many differences between the 777 and the other aircraft you have flown.  Mostly it is more automated - not necessary to shut off packs for engine start, and autothrottle can remain on in a manual landing, for example.  FMC also has more automatic functions.

I suggest you begin by flying the tutorial that comes with the 777.  You can also look at Kyle Rodgers' video, which goes with Tutorial 1,  here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/418246-tutorial-video-tutorial-1/

He has also published PMDG 777 Tutorial 1.5 available for free download here:

http://precisionmanuals.com/pages/downloads/docs.html

Also, make sure you purchase the P3D version if using with P3D, not the FSX version.

BTW, PMDG wants you to use your full name in its forums.

Mike

thank you for the thorough explanation. where would one find information such as etops for example. like a flight from VHHH-KMEM.

(because I am kind of a fan of cargo flights (hence the md-11 in fs9),  I am thinking of getting the queen of the skies 2 after the 777.)

Marco D'Agostino

thank you for the thorough explanation. where would one find information such as etops for example. like a flight from VHHH-KMEM.

Hi Marco,

You're welcome!

Take a look at Simbrief.com  You need to register but it's a free, excellent flight planner.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2