Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

Wing flex during turbulence

Is it just me or does the wing flex during turbulence seem a little extreme? I am not criticizing PMDG. For all I know it could be 100% correct. But to me it just looks extreme!   

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I also wondered. The outboard engines go up and down quite a big distance even in relatively light turbulence. But I have no real life references as I never flew with it

Have flown on the 744 many times an have seen the wing flex what seems even more than the video depicts.. The engine looks as if it should depart the structure! It really is something else to see. PMDG have created this flexing admirably within the P3D engine ( see what I did there...? :)  

• Upvote 1

Guest BeaverDriver

The 747's wing is designed to flex 13ft either side of centre. I really think we have to trust PMDG that they did their homework on stuff like this.

Glenn Davy

Well, I was about to agree that it seemed "exaggerated" but after seeing that video, I can only say my respect for Boeing engineers (and PMDG) has gone up a notch. I did reduce ASN turbulence from 70 (default) to 50 however, as at 70 it was uncontrollable.

Well, I was about to agree that it seemed "exaggerated" but after seeing that video, I can only say my respect for Boeing engineers (and PMDG) has gone up a notch.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why when we say "we're going to rest on the data that we have, along with the experience of our Tech Team," we mean it, and place value in those facts and that experience.

Kyle Rodgers

I rest my case, too. What I see on the video is exactly that I've experienced in mid flight today...so big grats to the tech guy at Boeing and PMDG!

Erik "Ernom" Toth

Also just a heads up to ASN users and maybe AS2016( i dont have as2016). Move the turbulence scalar slider back. For some reason, asn makes turbulence so much more unrealistic and obnoxious than it really needs to be. I moved mine back to 25 and everything works well with the 74u arondnd the other pmdg birds. Light turbulence is actually light turbulence....not severe.

Some food for thought.

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Im no expert but I have crossed the Pacific between North America & Australia dozens of times on Qantas 747-400 over the last 20+ years and I never seen wings flex on a 747 like they do on my PC! Yes you get the occasional severe turbulence like the video above maybe 5% of the time. I have done 3 flights in the PMDG 747 and everyone has had the plane flapping its wings like a bird! Again I am not saying PMDG data is wrong however something on my system must be!

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Don't know what PMDG's numbers state, but that video looks a lot like something I experienced on return to Johannesburg from Sydney. Those wings can flap around a lot, which is very reassuring when you see cabin crew rushing to their seats.

I never seen wings flex on a 747 like they do on my PC!

Simulated turbulence is nothing like the real thing.

Dan Downs KCRP

Raw Boeing image of the 747 wing load test:

BI231425.jpg

*source: http://www.boeingimages.com/archive/Second%20747%20Wing%20Bend%20Test-2F3XC5K05FD.html

And then we have QOTS II during a normal approach to land:

kB7kUyHl.jpg

Guys, I understand that you coded based on feedback from people with the type rating and technical documentation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

• Upvote 2

Also just a heads up to ASN users and maybe AS2016( i dont have as2016). Move the turbulence scalar slider back. For some reason, asn makes turbulence so much more unrealistic and obnoxious than it really needs to be. I moved mine back to 25 and everything works well with the 74u arondnd the other pmdg birds. Light turbulence is actually light turbulence....not severe.

Some food for thought.

Thanks for the tip. i will ill take a look at AS16 when i get home.

Raw Boeing image of the 747 wing load test:

www.boeingimages.com/archive/Second 747 Wing Bend Test-2F3XC5K05FD.html

kB7kUyHl.jpg

Guys, I understand that you coded based on feedback from people with the type rating and technical documentation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Exactly what mine does in cruise. but mine flaps up and down to that same extreme. it literally looks like a bird flapping away in flight!

Pete Richards

Normal approach to land includes full deflection of the elevator like that? I'd be interested to hear who your DE was. Someone was playing with (/abusing) the plane, g-loaded the wing, took a funny screenshot, and people are using a corner case as 'evidence' that we screwed up. The elev is clearly at full deflection. Yes, it looks a bit odd fully loaded up like that, but keep in mind that the behavior to cause it (as is clear in this very screenshot) is about as normal as a 744 doing a Blues run at a local airshow.

Exactly what mine does in cruise. but mine flaps up and down to that same extreme. it literally looks like a bird flapping away in flight!

Sounds like your turbulence settings need to be dialed down a bit.

Kyle Rodgers