Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

Wing flex during turbulence

FWIW I haven't had any issues with the wing flex and turbulence I am using AS2016/ ASCA in P3D.

Here are my settings in regards to turbulence...

Maximum Wind Turbulence: 20

Turbulence Effect Scale: 10

Enhanced Turbulence: unchecked

Wake Turbulence scale: 50 (I fly on Vatsim and don't see this often, but I might end up turning it down)

Everything is on default for me the only thing that I changed was the Turbulence Effect Scale to 15 instead of the default 70 (that I had the first flight of the 744) and now I dont have heavy turbulence while crusing.

Erik "Ernom" Toth

Appreciate your numbers, Ryan.  Thanks.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I tried flying in a thundersrorm area with AS16 (turbulence set initially at 35 for EZCA v2, then reduced to 15, no enhanced turbulence) but the wing tips bent in an exaggerated way. I don't know if this depended on the fact that I was quite low on fuel, but I think this feature needs to be looked into...

James Goggi

The default settings in Active Sky Next for turbulence and wake effects are designed to mimic the apocalypse.  I was so disgusted with wake effects I set the slider to zero, and the turbulence sliders to 10 and 5.

Mark Trainer

Over at FSL there is a Sticky on this very thing.

From a Dev

So in conclusion these are my recommended Active Sky settings:

1) ASN:

- Turb scale=35, Up/down drafts 0

2) AS16:

- Turb scale=35, "Realistic thunderstorm drafts"=on (or off if you don't know how the radar works)

Or try

A: Set these options in AS16:
1. Maximum Cloud Turbulence Scale 20
2. Maximum Wind Turbulence Scale 20
3. Turbulence Scale Effect 10

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Well, I was about to agree that it seemed "exaggerated" but after seeing that video, I can only say my respect for Boeing engineers (and PMDG) has gone up a notch. I did reduce ASN turbulence from 70 (default) to 50 however, as at 70 it was uncontrollable.

Well, I was about to agree that it seemed "exaggerated" but after seeing that video, I can only say my respect for Boeing engineers (and PMDG) has gone up a notch. I did reduce ASN turbulence from 70 (default) to 50 however, as at 70 it was uncontrollable.

That video answers it for me! Job well done PMDG

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

Hi

IMHO.. Make sure you adjust your weather engine regarding turbulence and tone it down/up to your desired level, its not the queen because if you sit your camera view over the wing during taxiing or taking off, from the runway you'll notice the wing flex is about right. (actually its perfect)

Iceman 

Guest BeaverDriver

Erik,

If it matters at all:  I find ASN's turbulence model to be so ridiculous that it almost doesn't even warrant leaving it running.

I have mine set to 15...  and it is still a bit too much.

The problem is that ASN does not appear to apply any appreciable smoothing or gust control to their injection model, so you can get wind gusts that would sever the wing in real life...  even at very modest settings.

I have voiced my opposition to this ridiculousness for years- as it hampers our ability to give you a truly valid flight model.  I think about 1/2 of our development time in the modeling/behaviors arena is spent on "how to we keep the weather engines from exceeding the actual, real world limitations and capabilities of this model?"

It is fraught with dangers...  As we can't possible stop all of it.

So try 15 and see what you think.  I think you will find it to be far more reasonable.

Agreed with the AS16 turbulence factor. Believe me, I've spend a LOT of my flying career in some pretty rough weather and it never felt like this. I have my turbulence set to 5 in Cloud and Wind turbulence and it seems somewhat reasonable. For the record, I shot this today is what is now "heavy" turbulence. If there's a problem with wing flex, I don't see it :wink:

EQ747-Wing.jpg

Do the outer sections of the wings flex up when the plane is moving faster? Mine are drooping when on the ground, but also when on final approach (circuit test, Med range 66% fuel, no passengers).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Do the outer sections of the wings flex up when the plane is moving faster? Mine are drooping when on the ground, but also when on final approach (circuit test, Med range 66% fuel, no passengers).

FSUIPC?

Kyle Rodgers

Was the 747 V3 calibrated against to Wind/Turbulence settings from default weather settings in P3D (the P3D version that is)?

I've been in many flights in a 747 in some severe turbulence (so severe the pilot requested route change around it) and even though we were being tossed around like rag dolls (hard to imagine an aircraft this size could be tossed around like C172) the wings and engines did flex but I'd say the modeling is off by 2X  ... moderate turbulence in Sim = severe turbulence real world.

But just to be clear, this doesn't detract from what is an all around excellent product.  If PMDG folks do take this feedback positively and revisit the wing flex animation, I'd recommend dial it back by 50% and also increase the animation steps (they're a little too coarse) ... maybe for some future platform update? 

Cheers, Rob.