Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

Wing flex during turbulence

Normal approach to land includes full deflection of the elevator like that? I'd be interested to hear who your DE was. Someone was playing with (/abusing) the plane, g-loaded the wing, took a funny screenshot, and people are using a corner case as 'evidence' that we screwed up. The elev is clearly at full deflection. Yes, it looks a bit odd fully loaded up like that, but keep in mind that the behavior to cause it (as is clear in this very screenshot) is about as normal as a 744 doing a Blues run at a local airshow.

Bingo - there is serious G loading on the wing in that shot.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Normal approach to land includes full deflection of the elevator like that? I'd be interested to hear who your DE was. Someone was playing with (/abusing) the plane, g-loaded the wing, took a funny screenshot, and people are using a corner case as 'evidence' that we screwed up. The elev is clearly at full deflection. Yes, it looks a bit odd fully loaded up like that, but keep in mind that the behavior to cause it (as is clear in this very screenshot) is about as normal as a 744 doing a Blues run at a local airshow.

Sounds like your turbulence settings need to be dialed down a bit.

Thats what i am thinking. thanks for the reply

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Guys, I understand that you coded based on feedback from people with the type rating and technical documentation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

I agree the motion is a little exaggerated for any given level of turbulence, but in your screenshot, it's clear from elevator position you were putting the 744 thru some extreme maneuvers. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Welcome.

It was AS2016 turbulence setting causing the problems. I turn them down 50% and now its as I would expect. Thanks

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

It was AS2016 turbulence setting causing the problems. I turn them down 50% and now its as I would expect. Thanks

Glad to hear it. You're welcome. If you're interested, there's a notional chart in the Intro Manual that shows some of the crazy g forces weather programs will throw at planes in the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

I have AS2016 and actually my turbulence setting was on 70 before and 2 days ago when I've installed the QOTSII and tuned down the turbulence setting to 35 (it was recommended by EZCA 2.0) and the bird still twerking around more than I've ever seen 737/777 before during cruising. Gonna test lowering it a bit more to see if it helps. 

It's not disturbing or anything like that....only so much twerking I havent seen since my days flying PA28 in real life. :)

Erik "Ernom" Toth

Erik,

If it matters at all:  I find ASN's turbulence model to be so ridiculous that it almost doesn't even warrant leaving it running.

I have mine set to 15...  and it is still a bit too much.

The problem is that ASN does not appear to apply any appreciable smoothing or gust control to their injection model, so you can get wind gusts that would sever the wing in real life...  even at very modest settings.

I have voiced my opposition to this ridiculousness for years- as it hampers our ability to give you a truly valid flight model.  I think about 1/2 of our development time in the modeling/behaviors arena is spent on "how to we keep the weather engines from exceeding the actual, real world limitations and capabilities of this model?"

It is fraught with dangers...  As we can't possible stop all of it.

So try 15 and see what you think.  I think you will find it to be far more reasonable.

• Upvote 4

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I'm happy to report that with the settings tuned doen to 15, it flies without any twerking.

Erik "Ernom" Toth

There are 3-4 different "turbulence" settings in ASN.  Are you setting the "Maximum Wind Turbulence" setting to 15 or the "Turbulence Effect Scale" to 15?

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

There are 3-4 different "turbulence" settings in ASN.  Are you setting the "Maximum Wind Turbulence" setting to 15 or the "Turbulence Effect Scale" to 15?

I believe it's the Turbulence Effect Scale.

Is it not possible that there may be a link between this (apparently) exaggerated wing flexing, and the noted "droop" of the outer sections of the wing when on the ground?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png