Sign in to follow this  
dutto88

New PC, trying 30Hz

Hey guys, 

So i got my new upgraded PC today and first impressions are very very good ( Specs below ) 

I7 6700K 

GTX ROG Strix GTX1070 8GB

ASRock z170 Extreme6+

Corsair 16GB ram

Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme 

I also picked up a new monitor - Asus vc279h

After destroying my bank account im pretty happy with it :) 

Just a question, I have seen alot of videos of the 30Hz setup, which looks incredibly smooth. Is anyone able to give me a rough guide on how to do it ? 

Cheers

I use P3D3 with a 30 Hz capable monitor (LG). I set frames to unlimited in sim, Vsync plus Triple buffer on in sim. In addition, I set fps to 30 externally via Nvidia Profile Inspector (fps limiter 2).

Works pretty well for me, no guarantee it does for anyone else, of course. Not my inventions, I found these suggestions somewhere here on AVSIM.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Jack,

I just happened on this post, and had to laugh. I built a rig Oct. of '16 and our specs are almost identical. Ah, and Michael's are about the same (cheers Michael).

The only differences I see are that I went with a Gigabyte board, and the Corsair 115i. I'd be VERY interested to hear of your experience with the new monitor running a 30 Hz setup, as I'm considering the same thing, maybe even in a 3 monitor config.

I'm glad I built my new rig for the performance it's given me in p3d, but it was a bit hard on the pocketbook. I have monitored my GTX1070 running p3d and was surprised with the low utilization...and my fan almost never kicks on even though I have set some pretty low temp thresholds.

I have my 6700K running at 4.8 GHz, and on the GTX1070 I have the boost clock +200 and the memory clock +200, and not a hiccup so far (I am not an overclocker, so the fact I can do it probably means anyone can).

If you don't have them already, get Nvidia Profile Inspector as indicated by Michael, and also Process Lasso - the free version, so you have an easy way to control cpu affinity.

I tested my rig with Passmark benchmarking software and it rated VERY high (not that this really means anything), I'm sure yours will do the same.

Thank you for your post.

Steven Miller

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Jack,

I just happened on this post, and had to laugh. I built a rig Oct. of '16 and our specs are almost identical. Ah, and Michael's are about the same (cheers Michael).

The only differences I see are that I went with a Gigabyte board, and the Corsair 115i. I'd be VERY interested to hear of your experience with the new monitor running a 30 Hz setup, as I'm considering the same thing, maybe even in a 3 monitor config.

I'm glad I built my new rig for the performance it's given me in p3d, but it was a bit hard on the pocketbook. I have monitored my GTX1070 running p3d and was surprised with the low utilization...and my fan almost never kicks on even though I have set some pretty low temp thresholds.

I have my 6700K running at 4.8 GHz, and on the GTX1070 I have the boost clock +200 and the memory clock +200, and not a hiccup so far (I am not an overclocker, so the fact I can do it probably means anyone can).

If you don't have them already, get Nvidia Profile Inspector as indicated by Michael, and also Process Lasso - the free version, so you have an easy way to control cpu affinity.

I tested my rig with Passmark benchmarking software and it rated VERY high (not that this really means anything), I'm sure yours will do the same.

Thank you for your post.

Steven Miller

Hey! Yeh im just in the overclocking process, what was your voltage for 4.8Ghz??

Jack,

I haven't independently adjusted CPU voltages, I've simply used the auto overclock in the Gigabyte BIOS. I'm not overclock savvy and am not sure I really want to open that can of worms. What I really want is to turn on my computer, startup P3D and just fly and enjoy

Things WERE working flawlessly, until I had a hiccup running P3D Saturday the 2/4/17. Everything was running great, and all of a sudden P3D froze. I'm still messing with GPU clocking, so I don't know if it was GPU or CPU that caused the freeze. In any case I dropped CPU clock back to 4.6 GHz and also made some changes to GPU clocking.

This week I'm going to go back to 4.8 GHz and try and confirm that it either was the cause of the freeze, or that it wasn't, and was a GPU problem instead.

What's interesting, is that I did my initial benchmarking and testing of my overclocks with Unigine benchmarks, which I thought would prove a decent stress test...evidently not good enough, because they ran perfectly for hours, but P3D exploited something they did not.

If I come up with any improvements I'll post back.

And if you decide to go the way of manual clocking, I'd love to know your results and setting.

Thanks,

Steven Miller

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Here's the system and settings that work for me, it also highlights the settings that impact performance, good luck!

Joe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wum2no6ku6krcmm/P3D-AS16-ASCA%20Settings%20Chart.xlsx?dl=0

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2