Sign in to follow this  
drdickie

Curiosity question about popup panels

I was just wondering why there are three shift sequences (shift-2, -3, and -4) that bring up the computer?  Is there a way to change assignments so that one of these, say shift-3, would bring up the overhead panel as a popup?  Maybe I have missed something in the instructions?

Thanks.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

The overhead panel hasn't been modelled as a 2D popup. You can access it (its sections) by repeatedly hitting 'A' in FSX.

The three CDUs are independant from each other, so basically they represent three different systems (Captain's side, F/O's side, and "one more in the middle").

Changing assignments may or may not cause problems. (My guess is it doesn't, but I haven't tested it ... yet.)

I was just wondering why there are three shift sequences (shift-2, -3, and -4) that bring up the computer?  Is there a way to change assignments so that one of these, say shift-3, would bring up the overhead panel as a popup?  Maybe I have missed something in the instructions?

The pop up panels are all managed by FSX by how they're entered into the panel.cfg (which you should not modify). Additionally, they aren't really meant to be brought up with shift commands, so you may see odd results if they are brought up that way (fine for default FSX stuff, but so much of our simulation is being managed both in and out of the sim it can cause issues). Preferentially, use the click spots around the flight deck. They're all shown in the Intro Manual.

Kyle Rodgers

I am using P3D but I suppose the answer is the same.  I have had no problems using the popups to control the P3D 747.

The pop up panels are all managed by FSX by how they're entered into the panel.cfg (which you should not modify). Additionally, they aren't really meant to be brought up with shift commands, so you may see odd results if they are brought up that way (fine for default FSX stuff, but so much of our simulation is being managed both in and out of the sim it can cause issues). Preferentially, use the click spots around the flight deck. They're all shown in the Intro Manual.

Just another comment.  The FSL 320, for example, does have a shift sequence for bringing up the overhead panel.  If it is an FSX/P3D issue, how did they work around it?  It is kind of a pain having to go through the "A" sequence each time to see the overhead panel.  Or, have I missed an instruction in the manual?

Thanks, Kyle.

Dick,

I'm still not fully clear on what's being asked here. Shift commands in the sim itself are used for 2D panels. If it is doing something else, then it's some sort of custom function. Apart from a few pop-ups, we do not have these (we don't have a full 2D panel for the overhead, as an example).

Instead of using 'A', you can also just look over. It's a bit of a challenge to get used to, but it's a little more realistic (not fully, but slightly). When setting a switch on the overhead in the real plane, you wouldn't get up, sit on the pedestal (ouch), and look up head-on. Rather, you simply turn your head to look over and take care of what you need to take care of (though you may lean a little bit to get a better vantage point, or to reach).

I have the spacebar mapped to an extra mouse button so that I can just hold it down and look around the flight deck. Super easy once you get used to it.

Kyle Rodgers

What I am asking is to have a shift sequence mapped to the overhead panel.  The shift sequences in both the 777 and 747 go to various popups without any difficulties on my system and can be used that way to adjust parameters, like planning a flight, etc.  It would be nice to be able to do that with the overhead panel.  I know it is not "realistic" but very useful in any case.  As you point out, navigating around the virtual cockpit is sometimes a visual challenge for us guys over 75!

There are no shift key shortcuts for the overhead because there is no 2D panel of the overhead. This is the same in the 777. The 737, however, does have a 2D overhead that can be pulled up (not sure if a shift command will do it though).

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Guys,  on the same topic I have one question in regards to 747 V3 pop up panels. Can't find radio stack to pop like on 777. I think I've seen that on youtube video, but guy is doing so fast that I could figure where he clicked......Help would be appreciated. Thanks

It's shown in the Intro Manual, but in the interest of setting you on your way, below the nav display, there's somewhat of a square block in the panel (to the right of the brake press gauge). Click on it and it'll bring the radio stack up. If you want a picture of it, the best spot is in the manual - it's highlighted in orange (with the intro open, CTRL + F and search for "clickspot").

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, speaking about manual, did you guys include manual in this package? I haven't seen one, only on your web site, but that on is old version....

All the short cuts to the documentation are available on the Operations Center under the PMDG 747 V3 product in the drop down menu, then selecting documentation on the left side.

Alternatively its located in the product directory such as <drive>\<sim>\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\Flight Manuals. Substitute <drive>\<sim> for your own locations.

I wish you would put a hotspot on the main panel for the computer similar to ones for the MCP and EFIS.  There looks to be good spots right above the flight displays.  Not a big deal but it would be handy for us less than perfect virtual cockpit navigators.

Thanks for all you have done and will do!