Sign in to follow this  
gnomegemini

Engine start procedure on different engine types

4 first because Hyd Sys #4 powers Normal Brakes & it is obviously important to get that engine running first.

Any reason why United would start 1,4,3,2?

because of that: 

G-CIVA ...''...

This venerability is the reason why there is an AC Auxilliary Pump fitted to HYD Sys #4, indeed there is a customer option to have one fitted to HYD Sys #1, which many cutomers do opt for in real life.

...''...

Hi there,

I read over the FCOM 1 procedures and FCOM 2 engine pages but didn't found anything. Deep in the dark cornor of my brain I barely remember that the engines had different procedures to startup: the GE is started eng 3+4 at the same time and 1&2 at the same time. At least that's what the lufthansa's do. The PW was started 3-4-2-1 I think and the RR 1&4 and 2&3 at the same time.

Now my questions: Is this correct? And the second question: why? What's the technical reason and approach why you start GE per wing and RR not? Why is the PW started one after one?

Thanks,

Stefan

Edit: I love her!

We start our GE's 4+1, then 2+3.  Our Pratts are done one at a time...I don't know if that has todo with the blower cart (no APU on the dreamlifter).  That order is 4,3 then 2,1....but theres no blower cart for 2,1 and they are still started single.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Any reason why United would start 1,4,3,2?

Not sure .... I am looking at my UAL reference material now & I can clearly see 4, 1, 2 & 3.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Alright, well the latest United 747 manual I have is from the early 2000s, so they must've changed it or gotten a new chief pilot since!

Think I found my answer. I had to check in the bulletins section of my manual. Interesting that they were having these problems all because of start sequence. I just watched some start videos in a United 747 and they do start now 4,1,2,3 like you said. I find it interesting that Boeing originally recommended 4,3,2,1. The results of that study must've caused the change to 4,1,2,3.

https://s23.postimg.org/n2y8nt5t7/20170203_191644.jpg

The only way I can get the 747M (using KLM) to start correctly is 1,4,3,2 with no autostart. Loving the differences between the models.

Cheers

Miles