Sign in to follow this  
hu_willy

Printable FCOM & QRH?

Thanks for those helpful forum members that pointed out alternative ways to print the document. I will consider those options using my own judgement.

Again, I stress that I am little disappointed on this matter, as there has been past cases (NGX) where users are allowed to print the manuals (don't know if it was legal but at least PMDG did give the permission to print on the PDF), which rules out the cost of licensing as an obstacle IMO.

Since this is really a minor issue on an amazing airplane, I will rest my case and go fly that magnificent piece of machine on a short haul again. Meanwhile, I would still love to hear PMDG official response on this matter.

First off - The 737 manuals ARE NOT the 747 manuals. They are two separate cases. So stop comparing the two.

Secondly - it is possible pmdg bought a license to be able to distribute via print, in the case of 737... so instead of costing for example $2 for electronic distribution ONLY with the product, it costed $4 for electronic distribution PLUS the ability to print.

PMDG might've reviewed this cost of $4 as too much for the benefit, and so, canned the ability to keep costs down for themselves and more than likely, the consumer (you).

Thirdly - tell me... other than pmdg, what Boeing or Airbus simulator has EVER given you the flight manuals? None. That's how many.

You are entitled only that for which you have paid. No more, no less. Your expectations are ignorant to the commercial complexities relating to these technical publications. Airlines pay thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands, possibly millions for these manuals... HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THEM? Not as much as an airline, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Brian Nellis

First off - The 737 manuals ARE NOT the 747 manuals. They are two separate cases. So stop comparing the two.

Secondly - it is possible pmdg bought a license to be able to distribute via print, in the case of 737... so instead of costing for example $2 for electronic distribution ONLY with the product, it costed $4 for electronic distribution PLUS the ability to print.

PMDG might've reviewed this cost of $4 as too much for the benefit, and so, canned the ability to keep costs down for themselves and more than likely, the consumer (you).

Thirdly - tell me... other than pmdg, what Boeing or Airbus simulator has EVER given you the flight manuals? None. That's how many.

You are entitled only that for which you have paid. No more, no less. Your expectations are ignorant to the commercial complexities relating to these technical publications. Airlines pay thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands, possibly millions for these manuals... HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THEM? Not as much as an airline, that's for sure.

As I have implied many times in this thread, I fully understand the extra cost that might incur as a result of printing rights.

My comparison is simply not ignorant because NGX and 747 V3 are: 

• Made by the same company i.e. PMDG
  • Licensed by the same manufacturer, i.e. Boeing
  • Priced adequately at their respective level of details and complexity

This is why I cannot work out as to why 747 V3 users are not entitled to the same privilege that is entitled to NGX users. 

Airlines pay thousands because Boeing is liable for providing correct, up-to-date documentations and timely supports as they are instrumental to flight safety and lives of millions, which is not the case for licensing flight sim manuals. 

Again, I would love to hear from PMDG directly as I'm sure they had their reasons, though I am still a bit critical of it. 

Again, I would love to hear from PMDG directly as I'm sure they had their reasons, though I am still a bit critical of it.

Sure  they will answer soon but  if  you do   search they already stated  their  reasoning   behind  not  being  able  to print  the pdf

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

i imagine that the Boeing License that was in the beginning 10000 usd is no more on the same level and also our world evolved since 2001 ....

i imagine that the Boeing License that was in the beginning 10000 usd is no more on the same level and also our world evolved since 2001 ....

NGX is released in 2011 mate... 

NGX is released in 2011 mate... 

did you read about the cost of the license. make yourself a favor and contact yourself BOCO license office and see how much they charge... cant wait to read your answer ... btw im not your mate ...   

did you read about the cost of the license. make yourself a favor and contact yourself BOCO license office and see how much they charge... cant wait to read your answer ... btw im not your mate ...   

Chill out 'Mate'  :wink:

Jonathan Ryans

1. Licenses sold to airlines are vastly different from the type of license applied to PMDG simply because Boeing is not liable for the accuracy and currency of the manual for this recreational product.

2. I am sure that the exact licensing cost is confidential, but it is a reasonable assumption that it's at a similar proportion as the NGX (RELEASED IN 2011, i.e. merely six years ago).

3. Sorry for calling you "mate". I meant it to be a friendly gesture and clearly you saw something different in it.

Cheers,

2. I am sure that the exact licensing cost is confidential, but it is a reasonable assumption that it's at a similar proportion as the NGX (RELEASED IN 2011, i.e. merely six years ago).

Why is it a reasonable assumption? Unless you have some kind of insight into the contractual arrangement between the parties, you can't possibly know what was agreed to. I used to have unlimited data with Verizon, now I don't. Contracts change.

Walter Meier

Why is it a reasonable assumption? Unless you have some kind of insight into the contractual arrangement between the parties, you can't possibly know what was agreed to. I used to have unlimited data with Verizon, now I don't. Contracts change.

If I have insight into their actual arrangement, I would not need any assumption anymore!

I would also love for PMDG to provide some insights on this matter.

But again, you may have a point. Your current president does like changing previous contracts like visas, green cards, and deals with Australia, but I do hope that PMDG won't hang up on me just because I asked about it :P

when we were in negociation for a license with BOCO in 2001-2005 the cost for the license was 10 000 usd for sim use.

and that was with the help of RSR at the time.

i do not even imagine what is the cost today. most of the companies delivering  electronic manual to their staff are unprintable and not valid if printed (means that is no more paper manual given to the crew) the cost of paper update and be sure everybody had the same version was a nightmare in ops.

so certainly the reason.