Sign in to follow this  
kbowler

Alter location of wx.pln folder

Hi

In the process of  installing add-on aircraft into my FSX-SE, I managed to get a "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" folder and a "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" folder as well.   My installation is single and I have not installed FSX before on this computer, only FSX-SE.    Most of the files from other add-ons have gone into the first folder.      When I try to get the B777 wx.pln file using the Route request, etc, it generates the file and puts it into the second folder.  However, Active Sky Next, insists on trying to read it from the first folder.  I realise I can manually input the file into ASN, but it would be nice to get it all done automatically as intended by PMDG.    Is there any way to alter the folder that PMDG uses to store wx.pln so that I can get it to install into the first folder.     I have asked the converse question on the ASN forum, i.e. can ASN be forced to load wx.pln from the second folder.  As of now, I have had no reply.  Perhaps PMDG users can offer a solution.

Regards

Keith

Regards

Keith Bowler

I'm sure you can get the answer from the HiFi forum.  Make sure that ASN settings have the simulator application data folder set correctly. Other than that I'd be guessing.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi

Thanks for your reply.    I think all the paths are set correctly in ASN as the weather gets injected into FSX-SE correctly, and I have checked that they make sense.  Unfortunately there is not an option to set up the location of where ASN looks for wx.pln.   I'll have to keep hoping someone at ASN or a knowledgable user notices the post; failing that I suppose I could put a ticket into ASN support directly.

Regards

Keith

Regards

Keith Bowler

In the process of installing add-on aircraft into my FSX-SE, I managed to get a "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" folder and a "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" folder as well. My installation is single and I have not installed FSX before on this computer, only FSX-SE. Most of the files from other add-ons have gone into the first folder. When I try to get the B777 wx.pln file using the Route request, etc, it generates the file and puts it into the second folder. However, Active Sky Next, insists on trying to read it from the first folder. I realise I can manually input the file into ASN, but it would be nice to get it all done automatically as intended by PMDG. Is there any way to alter the folder that PMDG uses to store wx.pln so that I can get it to install into the first folder. I have asked the converse question on the ASN forum, i.e. can ASN be forced to load wx.pln from the second folder. As of now, I have had no reply. Perhaps PMDG users can offer a solution.

AFAIK, you should not have a folder called ...\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files on your computer if you never had FSX Box installed on it and you only have FSX Steam.  Steam only creates this folder if it detects an FSX Box already installed (also other folders with similar modified names in other locations).  If you never had the Box version on your computer this is very puzzling.  If you did at one time, then you might have a registry error.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.   I agree with you.  My understanding is that if FSX-SE is installed on a clean machine, with no previous version of FSX having been installed, the system installs all files on the machine as if it was FSX, and labels folders accordingly, barring of course the fact that FSX-SE is put into the Steam folder.   I am therefore at a loss to understand what caused this, though I have installed a fair number of older aircraft add-ons into FSX-SE.  I vaguely remember one which did not work correctly when I chose the FSX-SE installation option, so ran the installer again treating it as FSX and it seemed to work.  Whether that caused an additional Flight Sim Documents folder to be produced, I have no idea.  Not surprisingly, most of the usual flight files are in the "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files".    The folder "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" only contains the Tutorial 2 flight files for the PMDG B7737NGX, but there is also a duplicate copy of these in the other folder.       I do not particularly want to start fiddling with the registry to correct things, even supposing I knew what to alter.     I did wonder whether deleting ASN and then re-installing it with the folder "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" folder removed, might work.  I suspect, though,  that unless the relevant registry information is cleaned out, it might just re-install with the same problem.   I might give ASN support folks a ticket and see if they have any ideas before doing anything too drastic.

Regards

Keith

Regards

Keith Bowler

Hello Keith,

did you manage to solve the folder issue?

I've got the same problem and it would be great to know if you got an answer from HIFI.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany,

Chris

Christian Baldauf