Sign in to follow this  
planiac

747 failing to initalise

I uninstalled and reinstalled according to the instructions posted by Kris above and everything is working now.

I haven't manually deleted anything yet. It says not to in the read me file that comes in with the installer. May have to give it a try. Currently working with tech support through the PMDG ticket system. I'll post any resolutions if we find one.

I know that this thread is now marked as answered, but I'd like to point out to any viewers that I have re-encountered this issue after about 2 days since I had 'fixed' it. 

Looks like file deleting and a clean re-install is the only way to combat the issue for the time being. Shame as she really is a great aircraft. Hopefully a full fix will be included with a patch soon. Anyhting will beat having to re-install the thing every 2 days. 

Sautrand, if you get anywhere with the ticket system I'd love to hear what they say!

Dan

I know that this thread is now marked as answered, but I'd like to point out to any viewers that I have re-encountered this issue after about 2 days since I had 'fixed' it. 

Looks like file deleting and a clean re-install is the only way to combat the issue for the time being. Shame as she really is a great aircraft. Hopefully a full fix will be included with a patch soon. Anyhting will beat having to re-install the thing every 2 days. 

Sautrand, if you get anywhere with the ticket system I'd love to hear what they say!

Dan

If the SimConnect installs aren't fixing the issue, and it 'suddenly' stops working, the first place I'd check is your anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-everything. If it's not the default MS tool, you will need to be on top of your anti-whatever tool. They are extremely over-reactive, and will trap just about anything that looks even half suspicious (and to anti-whatever tools, just about anything looks suspicious in today's world).

Quite honestly, I'd remove any aftermarket tools and use the default MS Windows Defender. Combined with being mindful of what you're doing (keeping away from sketchy sites, etc), it's really the best approach. Remember that one friend's mom when we were all kids who would never let the friend go outside without reminding them how dangerous the world is, all while shielding them from everything possible? That's anti-whatever-ware.

...and the 747 is that cool new bike/skates/hockey stick/etc that you all want to play with.

Hey AV-mom, can I go out and play with my 747?

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the quick response Kyle. As far as anti virus software etc, I only use windows defender. I have no 3rd party software whatsoever in that department. I could try sim connect again, but I haven't restored or anything since you advised me to last time so I don't expect it to have any effect.

Is there anything I can do with the stock windows defender or firewall to aid the situation? 

I appreciate she's very new and is likely to have issues etc and I suppose re-installing will be quick once I do it enough!  :Tounge:

Thanks

Dan

Is there anything I can do with the stock windows defender or firewall to aid the situation? 

Exclude the entire sim directory:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/64495205-6ddb-4da1-8534-1aeaf64c0af8/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender

(I also add an exclusion for the FSX.exe, and P3D.exe, though this is largely redundant if you exclude the directory.)

Are you switching your sound settings around at all when this happens?

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, I'll take a look at that now.

With the sound; sometimes the sim will start with Sound Off set as opposed to Sound On. The reason being that I'll shut down the sim with Sound Off still active I suppose. Would that be an issue? 

Kyle,

Having excluded my P3D folder from defender as well as the fsx.exe flie - She works! I also went and started a quick flight with the default f-22 to activate the sound - restart the sim - and then try the 747. She loaded fine to my amazement. One problem I've noticed is the sound was a little funky. Two things that really stood out where the parking brake handle and the flap handle being completely silent until I advanced the throttles to max, then I got a spasm of constant flap handle sounds. Not sure about any other sounds as they're probably more subtle.

Could this be an Nvidia driver issue? I did update to the Jan 24 one a few moments prior. If so I'll revert. I did it to try and combat the initialisation issue.

Thanks again Kyle for a fix anyway. If not totally perfect at least she flies - all be it silently.

Dan

Two things that really stood out where the parking brake handle and the flap handle being completely silent until I advanced the throttles to max, then I got a spasm of constant flap handle sounds. Not sure about any other sounds as they're probably more subtle.

Make sure you have a sound device selected in Win, in P3D, and that sound device shows up on the PMDG SETUP > SOUNDS page of the CDU.

Could this be an Nvidia driver issue?

Could be. Their latest drivers are also contributing to a mem leak, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do other odd stuff.

Kyle Rodgers

I'll look at reverting in that case. With the sound devices I'm not sure how to fix that? I either use a headset or my tv for sound. Do I need to set a default for windows, P3D and in the 747 CDU? This hasn't happened before so I presume a cause must either be windows defender or the driver?

Do I need to set a default for windows, P3D and in the 747 CDU?

Setting it in Win and P3D should make the CDU pick up on that default.

Right click on the speaker icon at the bottom right of your screen > Playback devices > Select device > Set Default button

Kyle Rodgers

Hey Guys, 

I have also been able to get it to work.   These are the steps that support directed me to take:

" I think what you are seeing is a sound bug that was uncovered and I may have a work around for you until we can push the update out.   Please take a look in the P3D/PMDG/PMDG_747_QOTS II folder and look for a file called "747QOTSII_Options.ini".  Open that file with Text reader and delete the SOUNDDEVICE line from it and then save it.  Start P3D as Administrator and see if that resolved the issue."

I also excluded my P3D folder in Windows Defender.  Hope this helps those that are still having issues.

Scott

Hi guys,

I started a flight this morning. She still started fine and this time without any sound issues. Think it was a one off bug. As for the OOM's at the end of flight here and there she's working fine! Although the OOM issue is something I need to sort.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully we can put this thread to bed now!

Dan

Hey Guys, 

I have also been able to get it to work.   These are the steps that support directed me to take:

" I think what you are seeing is a sound bug that was uncovered and I may have a work around for you until we can push the update out.   Please take a look in the P3D/PMDG/PMDG_747_QOTS II folder and look for a file called "747QOTSII_Options.ini".  Open that file with Text reader and delete the SOUNDDEVICE line from it and then save it.  Start P3D as Administrator and see if that resolved the issue."

I also excluded my P3D folder in Windows Defender.  Hope this helps those that are still having issues.

Scott

Thank you ! the sounddevice workaround did the job for me. init worked well after following your instruction