Sign in to follow this  
Tanguy SEHA

The fifth engine?

This is what Air India flight 182 was carrying when it was destroyed in 1985.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

This is what Air India flight 182 was carrying when it was destroyed in 1985.

all the classic were able to carry another 5th engine, on the -400 i didnt remember why but only the rr ones had that option.

This option is only available on RR powered 747s. There was an Airways Magazine article about the Qantas 5th engine ferry and the article mentioned that the option is not available on PW or GE engines due to reduced ground clearance because of the larger fan size over the RR.

If a GE or PW engine needed to be replaced, it was either shipped with the core and fan disassembled on a freighter or an Antonov :-p

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Easier to stuff it on a revenue flight than coordinate shipping it via other means. Broken plane at a destination you serve? Send it on a revenue flight under the wing.

Did "Joe" factor this into the wing design - reinforcement plate and carriers, etc ?

Interesting drag for the pilots to deal with too.

Did "Joe" factor this into the wing design - reinforcement plate and carriers, etc ?

Interesting drag for the pilots to deal with too.

Kinda? It's a legacy carryover from the early jet age. 707 engines died so frequently that it was deemed necessary. The convenience carried on over time, but reliability continued to increase so most people started forgoing the option.

Kyle Rodgers

Kinda? It's a legacy carryover from the early jet age. 707 engines died so frequently that it was deemed necessary. The convenience carried on over time, but reliability continued to increase so most people started forgoing the option.

does it mean RR engines on the -400 less reliable than PW or GE? lol ...

This option is only available on RR powered 747s. There was an Airways Magazine article about the Qantas 5th engine ferry and the article mentioned that the option is not available on PW or GE engines due to reduced ground clearance because of the larger fan size over the RR.

If a GE or PW engine needed to be replaced, it was either shipped with the core and fan disassembled on a freighter or an Antonov :-p

make sens the pw engines needed to be stripped a little to be flown away on cargo 747 ...

does it mean RR engines on the -400 less reliable than PW or GE? lol ...

I don't think so. I think it was just one carrier that opted for it, who happened to fly RRs. Keep in mind that the original option was offered on the 707, which was all (early jet technology) Pratts shredding themselves.

Kyle Rodgers

I don't think so. I think it was just one carrier that opted for it, who happened to fly RRs. Keep in mind that the original option was offered on the 707, which was all (early jet technology) Pratts shredding themselves.

i ve seen at least two different operators having that options for the -400: one for the pax version one for the freighter version.

i ve seen at least two different operators having that options for the -400: one for the pax version one for the freighter version.

Who was the F operator? Was it an actual F, or was it a BCF/BDSF?

Kyle Rodgers

SAA and Qantas were the only two passenger operators that ordered the 5th pod option from factory, from what I have read. There may be -F operators, or operators who converted a former SAA or QF bird to a BCF/BDSF

SAA and Qantas were the only two passenger operators that ordered the 5th pod option from factory, from what I have read. There may be -F operators, or operators who converted a former SAA or QF bird to a BCF/BDSF

there is at least one freighter operator with RR engine that had the option ordered and fitted on. doesnt mean they ever used it ....

Ironically enough I know someone at cargologic, they carried an engine cowling today from frankfurt to Copenhagen. The loadmaster just Walked on with it from the stores as it was very light. Even more ironic it was for an aog lufty aircraft stuff in Copenhagen and lufty didn't have a spare aircraft to take the part. So they chartered a huge jumbo from CLA to carry a cowling!! They must have money to burn!!

14ppkc-6.png

there is at least one freighter operator with RR engine that had the option ordered and fitted on. doesnt mean they ever used it ....

Thats why I was careful to say 'passenger operator'; in my first statement.. i guess the cargo operator is cargolux. they are the only one with an extensive RR fleet. Could an assembled RB211 fit on a 744F through either door?

I once flew on a 747 with the fifth engine attached. If I recall correctly, it was British Airways to Singapore. I wasn't aware it was possible until I took my seat and looked out the window at Heathrow.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org