Sign in to follow this  
wzrdjr

Yellow line through VNAV and V/S prohibits A/P engagement

Hi all,

Lots of people having A/P but I haven't seen anyone with my particular problem:  

Despite having all of the PERF pages filled out, with speeds, altitudes, and having the V-Speeds in, the gross weight set, , OAT, the elevator trim set, SIDS/STARS set, and being in stable flight with no control inputs (oh, yeah... and with realistic autopilot engagement setting OFF), I am getting yellow horizontal lines through both he VNAV and/or V/S text on the PFD when I hit any of the Autopilot engagement buttons.  Two seconds later the Autopilot disengages.

Clearly, it doesn't have the info that it needs, but what am I missing?

Thanks,

PS - before you say "do the tutorial exactly", please note that I did do that.  The problem doesn't show on the tutorial, just when I follow the exact same procedures in subsequent flights.  Thank you.

I am getting yellow horizontal lines through both he VNAV and/or V/S text on the PFD when I hit any of the Autopilot engagement buttons.  Two seconds later the Autopilot disengages.

This means your hardware is interfering with the AP. Either calibrate your hardware, get new hardware with better potentiometers (I only recommend this if you're looking for an excuse to get new hardware), or find the option in the PMDG SETUP > SIMULATION options that allows the AP to ignore your hardware while it's turned on.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

If you are using something like EzDok or Chaseplane you may have numerical keypad keys set to move views, these also are the default keys for the simulator to control and move control surfaces. These often interfere too, this happened to me so I removed the key commands in P3D and now all is well.

Cheers

Craig Read

Craig Read, EGLL

This means your hardware is interfering with the AP. Either calibrate your hardware, get new hardware with better potentiometers (I only recommend this if you're looking for an excuse to get new hardware), or find the option in the PMDG SETUP > SIMULATION options that allows the AP to ignore your hardware while it's turned on.

I too had this issue on my first two flights and fixed it by doing exactly what Kyle recommends, disabling the impact of my controls on the AP in the simulation options. 

Jason Jackett

I had to enact this fix as well.  What is odd is that when I open the STATUS page and look at the control surfaces the lines are perfectly matched up and still (unless turning for example). With no evidence of a spike anywhere but the AP would not stay on.

Kyle - From a practical point of view what are we missing by disabling hardware with this fix.  It is just that if you as the pilot need to take control rather than in the real aircraft where changes to the yoke input will kick out the AP and pilot has control instantly that we will first have to turn off the AP by clicking twice on the yoke button (or hotkey) and only then we have control ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Kyle - From a practical point of view what are we missing by disabling hardware with this fix.  It is just that if you as the pilot need to take control rather than in the real aircraft where changes to the yoke input will kick out the AP and pilot has control instantly that we will first have to turn off the AP by clicking twice on the yoke button (or hotkey) and only then we have control ?

A bit of 'realism' that nobody would use practically. In the real plane you can override the controls by adding inputs via the yoke. Realistically, you should properly disconnect via the button.

Kyle Rodgers