Well folks,"i must say that after years of upgrading, and tweaking and doing all sort of things to get the best out of my system".

It all started with me when I bought FSX Boxed in 2006, All things went out the window from that point on.

Trying to get FSX running just regular on a machine was impossible.  FSX demanded shear power from the cpu and could care less how powerful your video card was.

In fact that was the year I stopped upgrading video cards; they were not solving my problem.

I had to start upgrading my cpu's on a regular basis.

But as I  found out in time,  that there were no cpu's strong enough to take FSX on at that time,nor in the near future.  

So for the next few years i had to deal with tweaking and following other folks advice, to get better frame rates. Which were terrible at that time.

Once you loaded all the extra software to give you a better simming experience, the worst your frame rate became.

I  personally never could move my sliders up most of the the way, and always had to shut down all the shadow effects and bloom.

As i upgraded to better cpu's ,  I still had to sacrifise this for that , or turn down this slyder so that i could get into a better frame rate, when flying into a frame killer like "KJFK, KSEA, ETC. high definition of clouds".

Bottom line! I could not enjoy the sim like I wanted to without kissing FSX in the butt.  FSX demaned your respect and did not allow for you to run it on a weak machine.

Well folks, finally I have FSX right where I want it.

Here is my Set -Up:

Windows 10. 

6700k not over clocked.

Gigabyte 1070 gtx not over clocked.

C drive SS 150gig( FSX lives). 

D drive 500 gig.

32 gig memory of 3200.

Asus z170-ar MB. 

Software loaded on my main machine:

FSX.

AS16.

GSX.

Qualitywings 757.

REX world wide airports.

running DX10,.

Rex soft clouds.

Flightsim commander.

The little nav map.

Fsuipc.

Radar contack.

Nvidia Inspector. Im sure I have missed one or two.

Im also running four monitors.  With two  computers networked toghether.

My machine is watered cooled, with a 480 radiator system.

I took my time building this computer  because it was FSX exclusive.

I Did not go out and buy a expensive watercool kit, I  just went on Ebay and  bought a 480 kit for about $200 bucks, complete with everything.

Im a major nerd,  so I know about cooling systems, and IM a electrical and maitenance tech.

I have been building watercool systems before they really got popular, and I will probably never go back to air cooling.

Now that I finally,  through sweat and tears,  have frame rates that are hard to believe.

Im running frame rates in the 80's, 90's, and guess what.  I have all,  and I mean all sliders up in full; maxed out. Except for the water slyder, its only half way. All other slyders, buttons and shadows, and bloom all turned on.

At first, I thought I was dreaming and that it was a joke. But after running FSX for several weeks and no change in frame rate.

I just had to report.

Also I decided to go to Steam's website and try them out.  And Im glad I did; I will never go back to the boxed version.

A absolute improvement for myself.

So folks,  Im excited on the fact that FSX is fantastic.

Some folks may not believe me when i say, im running 70's, 80's, 90 frames per sec. fully loaded,  and running them on three screens fully extended.  All I can say is Wow!. Im finally flying without CTD's freezes etc.

Im just flying.

My vid card does not even sweat over the high frame rate.

My water cooled Cpu stays at a cool 28, 30 celsius. If im running a full load it will get up to 32, 34 celsuis.

As I said, I  finally have the  machine where I want it.

For those enjoying high frame rates, Great!  For those who have had to fight for every frame you could get. these are my specs.

Nothing special but a well oiled machine.

I Have finally caught up with FSX.

THX folks for listening.   im a happy camper................................RobertC

Nice and congrats but....

paragraph
ˈparəɡrɑːf/
noun
plural noun: paragraphs
  1. 1.
    a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.
    "the concluding paragraph"

Sean McCormack | Virgin Australia | i7 8700K @ 5.2Ghz | Asus Maximus XI | G.Skill RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ | Asus STRIX-GTX1080Ti | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO SSD RAID 0 | Corsair HX1000i  | Win 10 64bit | HTC Vive, HMD Odyssey, Oculus Rift-S and Pimax 5k+ | Twitch twitch.tv/djsean00 | Youtube youtube.com/djsean00

Thanks for the story.

I sympathise completely.

I recall when FSX came out and we were told it was built for the future. Future? Now, I see what they meant. I just didn't think it would take 10 years for hardware to catch up.  :smile:

Or, was it 17 years?

Edited by RichieFly

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I feel the same way you do, except with an overclocked 4770K and GTX770  (a couple of generations back).

Hope you can keep it this way, and avoid repeating the mistake many users make, which is to keep adding fancy airplanes, scenery, and airports until they succeed in cratering their FSX experience one more time, and come looking for tweaking advice on this forum  :wink:

Bert

I have been building watercool systems before they really got popular, and I will probably never go back to air cooling.

My water cooled Cpu stays at a cool 28, 30 celsius. If im running a full load it will get up to 32, 34 celsuis.

Fantastic you are happy with your new PC.  :smile:

I'm curious though, why risk leaks, have to contend with regular water cooling loop maintenance... if you aren't overclocking at all?

I use an NH-D15S air cooler. Super quiet and cools great at 4.6 GHz.

Or do you intend to overclock some time?