Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

P3D / 747v3 - Melted Goodyears

So after a squabble with our 5-year old at bedtime, I was apparently not settled enough to taxi to the correct end of the runway for my planned takeoff out of Singapore tonight. So, thinking like a proper armchair pilot, I firewalled the throttles, hauled down the runway about a quarter of the way, then brought them back to sensible taxi rates and coasted - or so I thought. Someone forgot that once you get up to speed and pull the throttles back, a little system called the RTO autobrake kicks in and assumes you're aborting a takeoff.

So I flip on the gear synoptic. Brake temperatures were staying relatively low, so I taxiied off, made my U-turn, and got back on the active. Temps were continuing to rise, likely due to the heat soak taking place. I opted to take off anyway, hoping to beat any major problems. Dumb.

A moment into my takeoff roll, my left-main gear tire pressures started falling off as the pressure relief valves failed. Then, the entire left hand truck of tires died out. Still full throttle, the RIGHT gear started protesting. Retarding the throttles, I came to a quick stop as the melted rubber I once called tires slugged to a stop. Knowing what had happened, I hopped outside to see what it would look like. 

PMDG did not disappoint...

5f0wt4.jpg

TOASTY!

After all the planning for tonight's trip, I was not about to reset and do it all again. No trip today, but we'll make up for it tomorrow. Despite the abject failure of trying to get off the ground, I must say I left satisfied with the outcome. 

• Upvote 1

Great little story mate! hahaha those brakes are hot!!  :wink:

Sean McCormack | Virgin Australia | i7 8700K @ 5.2Ghz | Asus Maximus XI | G.Skill RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ | Asus STRIX-GTX1080Ti | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO SSD RAID 0 | Corsair HX1000i  | Win 10 64bit | HTC Vive, HMD Odyssey, Oculus Rift-S and Pimax 5k+ | Twitch twitch.tv/djsean00 | Youtube youtube.com/djsean00

I lol quite a lot reading this, thanks for that!!

Eric 

Wow, never seen that effect in FS, props to PMDG for putting it in there. Makes me wonder if other FS aeroplanes have that effect.

Actually, I'd have been tempted to take off and raise the gear, just to see if I'd get a wheel well fire, although of course in real life that would be insane - see Nigeria Airways Flight 2120, Mexicana Flight 940 and Swissair Flight 306 etc - but we can get away with doing that kind of thing in a sim.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Lol great story, I have a four year old who is also not keen on bedtime so I can relate. Darn toddlers endangering virtual aircraft and passengers!!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU