Sign in to follow this  
Rick McPherson

Automatic Ground Operations

I love the automatic ground services, but I can't figure out how to make the duration shorter than one hour. The "short" setting is one hour, so I thought "custom" would allow something less. I love it, but not enough to watch it for an hour. I'm thinking 15 minutes or so. Does anyone know the scratchpad entry for 15 minutes?

Richard McPherson

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know the scratchpad entry for 15 minutes?

It would be impossible to turn a 747 in that short of time. You'd budget 20 min for a CRJ, and even that is really, really pushing it.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Jusr a quick one regarding this. After landing and parking at the gate / on the stand, is there a way to trigger the ground operations to automatically open doors, move the service vehicles and start to "unload" the cargo? As far as I recall once the chokes were set in place in the PMDG 777, the ground operations system took over and doors were opened and the countdown timer started to tick down. Is it the same in the 747 or do I need to open doors (and call for the vehicles) "manually" here? Thanks for your inputs.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Jusr a quick one regarding this. After landing and parking at the gate / on the stand, is there a way to trigger the ground operations to automatically open doors, move the service vehicles and start to "unload" the cargo?

Yeah. Set it up while you're in the air, and once you park, it should start to do its thing.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah. Set it up while you're in the air, and once you park, it should start to do its thing.

Thank you Kyle, will do!

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

I actually had the same question yesterday so as I am a tinkerer, I tried something. I loaded the default "747 Long" panel state and started the "Short" ground operations. After about 30 minutes (timer down to 30 minutes in ground ops), I saved the panel state as "Adam Long." I reloaded the sim and selected my new "Adam Long" panel state and voila...the trucks were all in place and the countdown was at about 30 minutes just as I had left it.

Now, the tricky part is fuel. If your tanks are near empty, it will take a long time to fuel up. I recommend before starting the ground ops (when initially creating your custom panel state) manually setting your fuel to like 80000 or something (it won't let you manually set fuel once the ops have begun). That way, you can get a reasonably high fuel load within your 30 minute window.

Would be nice to have the possibility to lower the turn around down to 20 min. Even if it aint that realistic.

Tom Stian Bjerk

Would be nice to have the possibility to lower the turn around down to 20 min. Even if it aint that realistic.

I agree, but what I would really like to see would be the option to still set fuel manually in the FUEL screen even with ground ops running. That way, we could still simulate the ground turn (or modified such as mine) and start with a much higher pre-loaded fuel amount.  

• Upvote 1

Thank you Kyle, will do!

Welcome!

I actually had the same question yesterday so as I am a tinkerer, I tried something. I loaded the default "747 Long" panel state and started the "Short" ground operations. After about 30 minutes (timer down to 30 minutes in ground ops), I saved the panel state as "Adam Long." I reloaded the sim and selected my new "Adam Long" panel state and voila...the trucks were all in place and the countdown was at about 30 minutes just as I had left it.

Now, the tricky part is fuel. If your tanks are near empty, it will take a long time to fuel up. I recommend before starting the ground ops (when initially creating your custom panel state) manually setting your fuel to like 80000 or something (it won't let you manually set fuel once the ops have begun). That way, you can get a reasonably high fuel load within your 30 minute window.

Interesting workaround!

Kyle Rodgers

I wish it was possible to operate the refuelling indipendently from the ground operations, for those who want to perform a quicker (manual) turnaround.

Would it be possible to implement it (e.g. in the fuel page or ground operations OFF page).

I also agree an option for shorter ground operation would be nice, maybe without catering, cleaning and those services that are normally already completed before crew boards the airplane.

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Oh goodness...., there are infinite possibilities available if you manually select service vehicles and your fuel load. You don't need the automation.

Dan Downs KCRP

Oh goodness...., there are infinite possibilities available if you manually select service vehicles and your fuel load. You don't need the automation.

Immersion?

Tom Stian Bjerk

Immersion?

Immersion by side-stepping the realistic length of time required to service a 747 though?

I feel like these are conflicting sentiments. Just my opinion.

Kyle Rodgers

Immersion by side-stepping the realistic length of time required to service a 747 though?

I feel like these are conflicting sentiments. Just my opinion.

Not trying to start an argument, but requiring the pilot to be in the cockpit an at least an hour before departure in order to have ground servicing performed....??? I would think the flight crew would show up after servicing is well underway. 

Either way, I like my method of preloading a good amount of fuel, letting the ground ops timer run for a bit, then saving that panel state. It does a fair job so I'm happy  :smile: .

• Upvote 1

Not trying to start an argument, but requiring the pilot to be in the cockpit an at least an hour before departure in order to have ground servicing performed....??? I would think the flight crew would show up after servicing is well underway. 

Either way, I like my method of preloading a good amount of fuel, letting the ground ops timer run for a bit, then saving that panel state. It does a fair job so I'm happy  :smile: .

Why not leave it running while you plan the flight? That makes the supposition that you have a second monitor or comp to do that on, but I'd argue that there are too many working parts and variations on where you want to "enter" the process to make it feasible.

Your workaround earlier sounds like a decent compromise.

Kyle Rodgers