Sign in to follow this  
RogerWilco666

Aileron Lockout

On the STAT page, the queen says "AILERON LOCKOUT"...

What does that mean and how do I get rid of it?

I can´t find anything helpful in the manual or in the web.

Aileron Lockout is a protection system on some (typically large) aircraft which limits the use of the outboard ailerons when the aircraft is above a certain speed (something like 240 knots on the 747, I think).

It's for a few reasons and is usually a system found on aircraft with a big wingspan...

First, it is to stop you trying to do what one of my instructors called 'Spitfire turns', i.e. excessive banking more suited to small aeroplanes than big jetliners.

Second, with the massive wingspan of the 747, like all aircraft with big wingspans, those ailerons all the way out at the end of the wings can lead to adverse yaw and effectively a control reversal.

Third, it prevents excessive stress on the wings by not letting you input large deflections at high speeds.

As I understand it, I believe the speeds at which aileron lockout can occur is dependant on flap setting too, although I'm not the world's expert on the 747, so I dunno if that is the case with that particular airliner.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I presume so. I just checked, here are the parameters for aileron lockout on a 747-400...

When your speed exceeds 238 knots (or Mach .53), aileron lockout is engaged, and will stay engaged until your speed drops below 232 knots (or Mach .51). However, if you have the flaps down, aileron lockout is inhibited.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The Aileron Lockout feature is as described by Alan but AFAIK is transparent to the pilots, ie no messages are shown.

If you get an AILERON LOCKOUT message this implies that one or more lockout actuators are not in the commanded position. Result is a reduced crosswind limit, possibly no autoland and be easy on the roll inputs.

Have you checked the QRH?

The AILERON LOCKOUT message does not disappear, even not during landing and on the ground. Everything else is fine.

Have you gone into the failures and maintenance pages to see whether you have any active faults?

Walter Meier

Well, I think I found a solution or a reason. The problem was a wrong order in the electrical power up procedure.

I didn´t activate the batteries and the stby power before I connected the gpu and that caused the message.

Perhaps it fired some electrical circuits... Good to know!  :wink:

Hi All,

I have Aileron Lockout message on the EICAS on the ground and all through my flight, I am unable to clear it. I have reset all failures. None are showing active. I am loading a saved panel start which is cold and dark with external power available. Anyone have any ideas what the cause of this message is, and how to clear it?

Cheers

Neil Warren

I am loading a saved panel start which is cold and dark with external power available. Anyone have any ideas what the cause of this message is, and how to clear it?

In my manuals, there are about 90 different causes (thank the stars for Central Maintenance Computers  :Tounge:

If it's not clearing via the PMDG menus, then you may have to restart the saved panel state and, for now, follow Roger Wilco's earlier advice of putting on the battery and standby power prior to turning on Ext Pwr.

Note that EICAS can latch this message, so pilots might not be able to clear it.

Perhaps the PMDG team have already come across this issue before? The status message is generated when both (Left and Right) Stab Trim Rudder Ratio Modules (SRMs) agree on the fault. However, I believe if only one SRM is powered, then the aileron lockout messages can still appear. But what system fault is actually causing the message? What system is unpowered in this "main bus power ok/Standby Power off" scenario which can't be replaced with a backup system?

I'll let the experts figure this one out :wink: (My head is starting to hurt)

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Hi John,

Many thanks, after I landed at KJFK last night, I reverted to a real world procedure to clear a fault :) and completely downpowered the A/C. THis removed the message. Then was able to connect GPU and start batt, stndby power without the message reappearing. I tried different power configurations and the message didn't come back. So all now looks good. I just need a fix for my FF figure of 0.6 on every eng whilst on the gnd no matter what eng thrust I have, then she will be pretty much perfect. awesome simulation of a great A/C.

Cheers

Neil Warren

Hello again,

I got got this message again after a cold and dark power up. I turned on the 2 ground powers then battery and stand by power to auto and it appeared. To clear it I had to take off all power to AC and then power up battery and stnd by to auto then turn on the Gnd powers. Does anyone know if this is correct. I suspect it's not as I,m sure I've powered up the real AC with Gnd power first, then turned on batt and stnd by power to auto.

cheers

Neil Warren

3 hours ago, nawarren said:

To clear it I had to take off all power to AC and then power up battery and stnd by to auto then turn on the Gnd powers. Does anyone know if this is correct.

Yes, that's the procedure I always followed when I worked at UAL. Also have a look at  FCOM page SP.6.1. It's the supplementary electrical power up procedure.

Walter Meier