Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

GPWS Issue

Is there a way to switch off the GPWS? I conducted a very short test flight this afternoon, and the ground proximity warnings were going off when I was on the glideslope at the correct descent angle.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is there a way to switch off the GPWS? I conducted a very short test flight this afternoon, and the ground proximity warnings were going off when I was on the glideslope at the correct descent angle.

Best to start a new thread (I have done this for you, since it is unrelated to the overall topic of this thread), and probably better to find the source of the issue rather than stepping around the issue.

Make sure you've selected a runway in the sim. You may also need to let the apt_rwys.dat file rebuild. It can be found in <sim root>\PMDG\Navdata. Delete it. It will rebuild on the next sim run.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

Do I need all of my addons to be active in the Scenery Library for the apt_rwys.dat file to build properly?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Kyle,

Do I need all of my addons to be active in the Scenery Library for the apt_rwys.dat file to build properly?

I think that's makerwys (different file, and in the root folder). I believe the .dat I referenced is just built off of the navdata in a way that allows us to process/query that data more quickly.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I got a weird GPWS warning approaching Auckland yesterday. The AP was flying, on the ILS, flaps 30 and gear down, everything looked good, then a Terrain Terrain Pull Up warning lasting maybe 10-15 seconds with a red square on the nav display terr mode near the airport. I know as a fact there are no terrain issues at AKL. (well, not right at the airport anyway) It just disappeared and everything back to normal. Only scenery used is ORBX NZ NI + VECTOR.

I wonder how old the GPWS database is. In the real world, there was a problem with the EGPWS at NZAA because they added a runway.. or moved the old one (I forget)

Cheers

John H Watson.

I wonder how old the GPWS database is. In the real world, there was a problem with the EGPWS at NZAA because they added a runway.. or moved the old one (I forget)

Cheers

John H Watson.

The main taxiway used to be a runway and is/was still (very rarely) used if the main runway is out of service. (It may be permanently a taxiway now, I am not 100% sure.) They still have the lit up X sign at either end though.

Would the gpws issue a warning if you were lined up for 23L and it thought you should be aiming for the old 23R / taxiway?

Would the gpws issue a warning if you were lined up for 23L and it thought you should be aiming for the old 23R / taxiway?

Sounds like that's what the issue was in the real world. I can understand the Runway Awareness and Alerting System responding to that, but I can't figure out why the normal GPWS would respond, unless there is a variation in terrain heights on the approach to the new runway.

Sounds like that's what the issue was in the real world. I can understand the Runway Awareness and Alerting System responding to that, but I can't figure out why the normal GPWS would respond, unless there is a variation in terrain heights on the approach to the new runway.

There isnt much difference, the runways are very close together: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Auckland+Airport+(AKL)/@-37.0060508,174.7959567,15.4z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d0d4fe87ef3d5bb:0xf00ef62249b7130!8m2!3d-37.0082476!4d174.7850358

The area leading up to the runways is flat pasture with some trees and cows, no hilly terrain. There is a small arm of water just before the thresholds, that's it.

Maybe the cows are really big in New Zealand :Tounge:

Sorry, I had a look through my old files, but I couldn't find the Notam or whatever it was.

Cheers

John H Watson

Maybe the cows are really big in New Zealand
If the cows now show up on GPWS, I may have to cancel any more NZ flying... given that they outnumber us ...

Many times when I have flown into Auckland on rwy 23L I have hit an invisible object at or just before the fence.

If memory serves me correctly I was able to remove that object by deselecting Oceania in the scenery setup.

Mike M

I wonder if this is the reason why I received a terrain warning? I was testing the 747 at EGMH Manston, but this airport is now closed in the real world.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png