Sign in to follow this  
c172pilot

PFD Causes CTD with P3D 3.4

Hello all,

I have reviewed many topics on this and all the items did not work. Including a fresh install of p3d 3.4 (academic version).

Currently used add-ons:

Aerosoft sceneries

PMDG 737/777

ORBX sceneries

FSDT Sceneries and GSX

ASN (but NOT with newest update as it does not run smooth enough)

FlyTampa sceneries (DXB reboot, SYD)

Minus ASN, I have verified most recent updates.

My rig is as follows:

-win 7x64, 16gb ram, 2tb HD, I7 47900 CPU, NVIDIA GTX970

- I typically get about 40-50fps in aerosoft EGLL almost maxed out, so I do not believe ramp or VAS are the issue

The issue at hand is this:

The last 2 nights I have attempted to fly AA73 LAXSYD. After sleeping and waking up to being about 8 hours en route to SYD, I clicked on the CA PFD and poof. P3d shut down. No notice of errors, error reports. Nothing. It did not restart either. (so glad I did not actually sit there all night. not sure how to use P3d otherwise LOL). Please note, that prior to that event, everything functioned correctly not alluding to errors on the horizon.

Last night, I attempted it again. Except, I wanted to test the system to try to isolate the error. I was able to have full functionality of everything(ASN, menu's and switches within P3D etc...) with no hiccups. Then feeling foolishly confident, I clicked that CA PFD and poof. Shuts down again.

I would show photos, but there are no reports or icons to click on forcing a shut down or error message.

Any thoughts on what this could be, and, how to prevent it?

Thank you,

Sumner Rabin

This is a longstanding issue with the sim environment. If you look at the crash report, it references a dll that we do not compile against. Please report this to LM.

Kyle Rodgers

This has been around since v3.0 and LM is aware of it but hasn't been proactively doing much.  The workaround I use is if I want the PFD 2D popup then I only use the FO PFD.  It is only the left outboard DU that causes this so you have options.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,

Not entirely accurate ... LM have indicated within this thread they have been working with PMDG and trying to reproduce the problem.

Review LM's responses earlier in this thread:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=113995&start=45#p119263
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=113995&start=420#p123670
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=113995&start=510#p128595

In addition, the error (exception) is ultimately "trapped" by Prepar3d.exe this does NOT mean the problem is cause by P3D. Exception processing in any EXE will fallback to the first error handler it finds -- where Prepar3d.exe will be the "lowest" level since that's where the code starts it's life ... if PMDG use VC 2010 runtimes this could be a "possible" source of the problem. Are you sure PMDG didn't recompile for VS 2013 and associated runtimes?

If PMDG didn't, my hunch is the issue "might" go away if you can get PMDG to recompile using VS 2013 runtimes ... per Learning Center.chm (SDK docs) "To build SimConnect add-ons, you must use Visual Studio 2013 or later". I'm pretty sure PMDG 777 has some reliance on SimConnect.

It maybe time to lock this topic as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere and just repeating what is already known. I feel for those having this problem as I know it would be VERY frustrating to have a crash after so many hours of virtual flight ... but so far the work around is to:

Use right outboard DU 2D popup (FO PFD).

Cheers, Rob.

This is what LM had to say concerning this topic. Could you please shed some light on this?

f PMDG didn't, my hunch is the issue "might" go away if you can get PMDG to recompile using VS 2013 runtimes ... per Learning Center.chm (SDK docs) "To build SimConnect add-ons, you must use Visual Studio 2013 or later".

PMDG is using VS2015, and we did test the 777 with recompiled modules and found the problem doesn't go away.

I think LM is interested, but they unrealistically want PMDG source code to do the debug, and as you can appreciate no software company is going to give away their source code.

By the way, Rob is not LM any more than I am PMDG. We are both beta testers for the respective companies and neither of us speak for those companies.

Dan Downs KCRP

Because I prefer my approach in a full screen 2D (F10) mode (for FPS and fluidity) I created a mini-panel section to the panel.cfg file that reads like this:

/////////////////////////
// Mini Panel
/////////////////////////
[Window20]
file=
file_1024=
size_mm=1920,540
window_size = 1.000000, 0.500000
window_pos  = 0.000000, 0.500000
visible=1
nomove=1
ident=MINIPANEL
child_3d=1
background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=PMDG_777X!DU, 10, 10, 535, 535, 1 RIGHT_OUTBD #16 ZOOM

It seems to work most of the time but I occasionally get a CTD after a few hours.  I know PMDG can't officially support this mod, but I assumed that since I was using the FO PFD this wouldn't happen - but apparently I'm wrong here?  Can anyone provide any kind of insight into why this might happen, or what I might do to fix this?

Or is there a better way to go about using the FO PFD in 2D (F10) mode?  

P3D 3.4, Windows 10 64 Home Creator
PMDG 777-200LR + 300ER, Version 1.10.8448

Thanks for your help,

Daniel