Sign in to follow this  
Chok

A couple of questions/issues

On 4/29/2017 at 0:56 AM, Qavion2 said:

Actually, aircraft do lots of autolands into YSSY. It's done to prove the serviceability of the (individual) aircraft's Autoland system. Autolands have to be carried out at least once every 45 days (otherwise the system has to be downgraded). Of course, you can't do an autoland if the visibility is not CAT I.

Wouldn't the runway have to be certified for an autoland?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Three things are required for CAT landings, the pilot, plane and runway all have to be certified, and the plane and runway need the appropriate equipment installed to handle a CAT I, II or III landing.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:19 PM, trisho0 said:

Oops! I thought autoland works with ILS. If FMC setup won't show ILS rwy's then manual landing goes. I can do autoland on other sceneries if ILS is available from FMC.

ILS and autoland are NOT the same thing. Normally, on an ILS approach, you'd disconnect the autopilot at 200 feet and fly the rest of the way in by hand. The approach charts for the runway would tell you what the runway is capable of doing. Now granted in the simulator, it wouldn't make a difference, but from a realism standpoint, you wouldn't perform an autoland on a runway that wasn't certified for it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

1 hour ago, MartinRex007 said:

Three things are required for CAT landings, the pilot, plane and runway all have to be certified, and the plane and runway need the appropriate equipment installed to handle a CAT I, II or III landing.

Four.  Most times you need to include airport operations.  There are a few things that need to be in place before CAT III and maybe II approaches can be approved. As a minimum, the appropriate hold shorts need to be in use to prevent interference with the ILS and you wouldn't want that even if you were doing a visually supervised CAT III.

Dan Downs KCRP

Here is an excellent tutorial from a RL 737 pilot showing what it looks like on the flight deck., probably similar on the 747.

22 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Wouldn't the runway have to be certified for an autoland?

Not really. You have to have it certified to do a proper LVOps autoland in CAT III conditions. But you can do an autoland on even a CAT I ILS, if the conditions are normal for CAT I and you watch for the system operations as CAT I is not guaranteed enough precision for autoland (although most systems do have enough)

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, MartinRex007 said:

What is CAT I, II and III? I can do autoland now on any ILS runway from any airport so far and as Captain Kevin said to disengage AP at 200 feet AGL which is what I do as well, very nice landing by hand then.

The only problem I have to learn why my Eagle after landing can't go to Gate correctly. I have to do brakes complete on the landed runway and then slowly taxi to the gate. Otherwise, the bird while turning left or right to the Gate direction, it goes to the grass, outer of runway lane. I have seen some clips from YouTube.com the plane taxi on runway at 25 knots speed. My PMDG 747 needs more than 30 knots to move on. Maybe too heavy or flat tires?

Patricio Valdes

2 hours ago, trisho0 said:

The only problem I have to learn why my Eagle after landing can't go to Gate correctly. I have to do brakes complete on the landed runway and then slowly taxi to the gate. Otherwise, the bird while turning left or right to the Gate direction, it goes to the grass, outer of runway lane. I have seen some clips from YouTube.com the plane taxi on runway at 25 knots speed. My PMDG 747 needs more than 30 knots to move on. Maybe too heavy or flat tires?

I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out what it is you're trying to ask here. First, you said you have to come to a complete stop, and then you said you need more than 30 knots to move. Which is it. It can't be both. In any event, if you're going to get off the runway at 25 knots, you need to make sure the taxiway you're taking is a high-speed taxiway. If it isn't, you WILL be going too fast. A high-speed taxiway is one in which there isn't much of a turn to get off. In other words, if you are trying to make a 90-degree turn to get off the taxiway, you're not going to be doing it at 25 knots.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

More than 30 knots? 30 knots is just an indication of speed, so saying you need more than 30 knots to move doesn't make sense to me. If for example you say I need more than 50% N1 to move then that makes more sense. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out what it is you're trying to ask here. First, you said you have to come to a complete stop, and then you said you need more than 30 knots to move. Which is it. It can't be both. In any event, if you're going to get off the runway at 25 knots, you need to make sure the taxiway you're taking is a high-speed taxiway. If it isn't, you WILL be going too fast. A high-speed taxiway is one in which there isn't much of a turn to get off. In other words, if you are trying to make a 90-degree turn to get off the taxiway, you're not going to be doing it at 25 knots.

So sorry Captain Kevin. You already figured it out and yes, after landing (touchdown) I apply brakes until I get 25 - 30 knots trying to get off the runway (25 degrees) going to a Gate but the plane goes to the grass instead of taxiing on the runway. It is when I apply brakes to stop. Then I try to taxi at 25 - 30 knots and the plane goes from the grass to the runway and finally straight to the Gate. I have to say I am still learning and obviously not ready to become a former Pilot.

Patricio Valdes

5 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

So sorry Captain Kevin. You already figured it out and yes, after landing (touchdown) I apply brakes until I get 25 - 30 knots trying to get off the runway (25 degrees) going to a Gate but the plane goes to the grass instead of taxiing on the runway. It is when I apply brakes to stop. Then I try to taxi at 25 - 30 knots and the plane goes from the grass to the runway and finally straight to the Gate. I have to say I am still learning and obviously not ready to become a former Pilot.

I don't think you want to become a former pilot because being a former pilot means you don't fly anymore. You used to, but you don't anymore. In any event, how much rudder are you even putting into your turns. It takes just a slight rudder input to turn the plane on the ground at that speed. You don't want to be jamming it to the full stop on either side. Check this video, 1 hour 6 minutes in. Watch how I do this. Just a gentle input, and I was rolling off at 54 knots ground speed.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

59 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

I don't think you want to become a former pilot because being a former pilot means you don't fly anymore. You used to, but you don't anymore. In any event, how much rudder are you even putting into your turns. It takes just a slight rudder input to turn the plane on the ground at that speed. You don't want to be jamming it to the full stop on either side. Check this video, 1 hour 6 minutes in. Watch how I do this. Just a gentle input, and I was rolling off at 54 knots ground speed.

I just talked my son who explained my error saying "former Pilot". I intended to say future Pilot but too far right now. Actually I am a current learner Pilot....aha! You are right and I am learning more thanks to your experience and lessons.

I flew tonight EHEH rwy03 to EHAM (Amsterdam) rwy36R and after landing I paid more attention at 30 knots I was be able to apply Rudder to go off runway to Gate where finally I parked the plane.

But after a while in the Gate I applied Brakes as always and other procedures suddenly FSX crashed OOM. My PC is Alienware Aurora R5 with NVidia graphics GTX 1080 and Windows 10 64Bit with 64GB RAM ........ and Out Of Memory? it's rare. I think going to change FSX Acceleration Scenery Settings. I get "ding" sound several times before crashing.

Before I was doing Rudder all the way and my mistake about speed.

Now, I am going to watch your next lesson video to learn rolling off.

I appreciate so much! your help is very valuable I can learn fast. My captain Kevin I am going watch the next tutorial. Ah! please don't forget your Coffee while flying.

Patricio Valdes

I said: I flew tonight EHEH rwy03 to EHAM (Amsterdam) rwy36R and after landing I paid more attention at 30 knots I was be able to apply Rudder to go off runway to Gate where finally I parked the plane.

I was referring to PFD 30 knots and while I am watching the "Around The World: The Land Down Under" tutorial I realized I was with big error. It's supposed to be 23 - 28 knots by looking at EICAS the middle area N1 and not via PFD. Sorry my Captain. I noticed also you enter the HDG prior to takeoff. I enter the heading when FMC gives me that info.

Patricio Valdes