Sign in to follow this  
77west

3-Engine Ferry Flight

Hi Guys

Decided to do a 3-engine ferry flight after reading about them online. With number two failed and shutdown, have to say, she flies beautifully on 3, the only difference is on takeoff I brought 1 and 4 up to TOGA first, and then slowly brought 3 up to TOGA as we passed about 80kt where the rudder could keep us on the centerline. Once airborne, apart from a bit of rudder trim, the handling was just like a normal flight really.

Now I could not find any hard numbers or procedure in the FCOM so just did what I had read online. Kudos to Boeing and PMDG for this level of handling and realism respectively.

(To those who may say that would not be done in real life, it certainly is. obviously no passengers and reduced weights and so forth, but it is done, including over the pacific!)

it should be under ferry 3 engines procedures.

if not wait few hours and i will found you out something ...

I will admit I only took a quick look, Adobe reported "no results found" for the word 'ferry'

Rolls-Royce. I would expect handling to be the same in the other two types.

i have to dig into AFM for it so there is certainly a slight difference between frames and engines config ...

(To those who may say that would not be done in real life, it certainly is. obviously no passengers and reduced weights and so forth, but it is done, including over the pacific!)

Wasn't there a BA flight that did this, with passengers? 

Haven't tried this yet but it's definitely one of the different scenarios I'd wanna try out!

Wasn't there a BA flight that did this, with passengers? 

Haven't tried this yet but it's definitely one of the different scenarios I'd wanna try out!

There was, but this was after a normal 4-engine takeoff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_268

I pity the captain on that flight; he made a decision based on BA ops and management consultation and then got vilified in the press for having to land for fuel just short of LHR. (Obviously they could not continue in the same aircraft after that)

The trijet takeoff is fun, just watch your assym thrust and use the rudder!

you can  do what you like  in the sim  not  like  your  going  to do any harm, you could  even try taking off  with 2  engines  fully  loaded :wink:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

you can  do what you like  in the sim  not  like  your  going  to do any harm, you could  even try taking off  with 2  engines  fully  loaded :wink:

Adding that to my list now lol. I bet it would take off fine, but you will need the runway off the fast and the furious movie.

Adding that to my list now lol. I bet it would take off fine, but you will need the runway off the fast and the furious movie.

let us  know  how  you go before  i try it first

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

lol just tried  it  at kden   full load fuel  and  weight     only  used engines 2 and  3   got  to the  end of  ryw  reached v2  took off  just  but  that was  it,  only  managed  to climb  to about  400 feet  before  it  started  to sink to  the ground,  of course  didnt  have  enough time  to start   1  and  2  :wink: 

Peter kelberg

enough time  to start   1  and  2   

So you pranged it already...

So you pranged it already...

Nah  had  crash detection   turned  off,  just bounced  a few  times  before coming  to a stop :smile:

Peter kelberg

Nah  had  crash detection   turned  off,  just bounced  a few  times  before coming  to a stop
I bet Boeing wants to learn how you did that lol