Sign in to follow this  
fsgeek

Issues with EZDOK 2.0 and QOTS II

Dear all,

I recently purchased EZDOK to complement the fantastic QOTS II. However, things have quickly turned sour. Because FSX issues can often be a mashup of misconfigurations between multiple software, I feel that this post could belong in either a PMDG or an EZDOK forum- I'm just completely puzzled. To make things worse, FSX doesn't let me take screenshots so I'll have to describe in words what's happening.

First I installed QOTS II and it worked fantastically. The next day, I installed EZDOK 2.0, as a first time user with no previous EZDOK installations. The two were like a match made in heaven. However, after a few sessions of FSX, everything suddenly stopped working. When beginning a flight with QOTS II:

• The view freezes
  • Textures don't load properly (looks like a cracked copy)
  • The framerate drops to less than 1FPS
  • I get a very bizzarre clicking sound (like someone is flipping all the switches in the flight deck simultaneously). These sounds come out of my monitor speakers, which shouldn't even be active
  • I can see the initialization bar at the top of the screen, but it's lagging so badly that you can see the bar being drawn line-by-line
  • I can't access the EZDOK config tool
  • Basically, the sim is trashed.

Why am I posting this to the PMDG forum? I decided to start a flight in another PMDG aircraft (NGX) and everything worked perfectly! I then uninstalled EZDOK and QOTS II, then reinstalled QOTS II (no EZDOK this time). The result: The 747 still does not work, but all other PMDG products still work fine.

I am an EZDOK n00b but I've been using PMDG products since the original 737 NG, and I've never experienced anything this bad.

I apologize if this post feels misplaced. I might repost this in an EZDOK forum later. However, I would like to know what people's experience has been regarding EZDOK 2.0 and QOTS II? I feel quite alone with this problem so I'm hoping there's a solution which doesn't involve reinstalling absolutely everything, though this may have to be the case!

Thanks!

Louis

Louis Vallance | P3D v4.5 (no shaders) | i9-9900K | 32GB | RTX 2080

Dear all,

I recently purchased EZDOK to complement the fantastic QOTS II. However, things have quickly turned sour. Because FSX issues can often be a mashup of misconfigurations between multiple software, I feel that this post could belong in either a PMDG or an EZDOK forum- I'm just completely puzzled. To make things worse, FSX doesn't let me take screenshots so I'll have to describe in words what's happening.

First I installed QOTS II and it worked fantastically. The next day, I installed EZDOK 2.0, as a first time user with no previous EZDOK installations. The two were like a match made in heaven. However, after a few sessions of FSX, everything suddenly stopped working. When beginning a flight with QOTS II:

• The view freezes
  • Textures don't load properly (looks like a cracked copy)
  • The framerate drops to less than 1FPS
  • I get a very bizzarre clicking sound (like someone is flipping all the switches in the flight deck simultaneously). These sounds come out of my monitor speakers, which shouldn't even be active
  • I can see the initialization bar at the top of the screen, but it's lagging so badly that you can see the bar being drawn line-by-line
  • I can't access the EZDOK config tool
  • Basically, the sim is trashed.
Why am I posting this to the PMDG forum? I decided to start a flight in another PMDG aircraft (NGX) and everything worked perfectly! I then uninstalled EZDOK and QOTS II, then reinstalled QOTS II (no EZDOK this time). The result: The 747 still does not work, but all other PMDG products still work fine.

I am an EZDOK n00b but I've been using PMDG products since the original 737 NG, and I've never experienced anything this bad.

I apologize if this post feels misplaced. I might repost this in an EZDOK forum later. However, I would like to know what people's experience has been regarding EZDOK 2.0 and QOTS II? I feel quite alone with this problem so I'm hoping there's a solution which doesn't involve reinstalling absolutely everything, though this may have to be the case!

Thanks!

Louis

+1

Dont know what the problem is but I have spent the last two days un-installing various addons to see where the problem is. I am compiling a document of tests made for when I open a ticket. She appeared to run smoothly in the vc but outside, my fps would jerk between 5.5 & 23 kr so making for a very jerky sim experience. Hope we can fix it.

Terence Jordan

+1

Dont know what the problem is but I have spent the last two days un-installing various addons to see where the problem is. I am compiling a document of tests made for when I open a ticket. She appeared to run smoothly in the vc but outside, my fps would jerk between 5.5 & 23 kr so making for a very jerky sim experience. Hope we can fix it.

Hi Terrance,

The issues you describe sound somewhat familiar to mine, although they could be symptomatic of something else. If it helps you to troubleshoot, I have been able to resolve my problem.

The first clue was that the "EZCA 2 Config Tool.exe" shortcut which is automatically placed on the desktop no longer pointed anywhere, so at some point the file had been removed. I guessed that Windows Defender might have quarantined it, because when I first installed EZDOK I was warned by Defender that it's a virus.

I added a temporary exception to all .exe files and any directory with the name "EZCA" or "EZDOK", then disabled real-time protection (perhaps dangerous, but I wanted to hit the problem with a hammer to be sure it's the firewall).

Fresh install of EZDOK and QOTS II and everything works absolutely fine (minus the usual FSX nags). I ran a search in APPDATA to make sure that absolutely every file related to EZDOK was gone.

I am still left with a trail of smaller problems, but they're not blockers:

• FSX sporadically rebuilds the config, resetting my resolution and display settings, and removing everything under [TRUSTED] so that I have to accept all the Windows UAC warnings again
  • The middle mouse button-to-pan feature will occasionally stop working. I have to restart EZDOK and FSX to resolve this

I'm sure that I won't want to go back to the default FSX camera system, but so far I'm feeling the pain of change. Just the fact that I have to window FSX to acess the config utility is annoying because, at least for me, FSX behaves very badly when switching between windowed and full screen, or when minimising and maximising.

I hope this helps!

Louis

Hello fsgeek,

both addon"s are fantastic. I've been using Ezdok for years already.

But I remember that in the beginning I had the exact same problem. This is due to the flawed config process of ezdok.

This config tool basically adds some lines in the aircraft.cfg of each aircraft you own. The stock ones will be ok, most of the payware will not.

Look for this text at the bottom of your airgraft.cfg of B747 V3 or any other aircraft you have installed ezdok:

==============================

[CameraDefinition.201]
Title=EZdok Aircraft Universal camera
Guid={D8D67955-2E9B-4e75-9D8B-8EFFBBFAC65B}
Description=Universal camera for EZdok cam utility
Origin=Center
SnapPbhAdjust=Swivel
SnapPbhReturn=FALSE
PanPbhAdjust=Swivel
PanPbhReturn=FALSE
Track=None
ShowAxis=FALSE
AllowZoom=TRUE
InitialZoom=0.40
ShowWeather=Yes
InitialXyz=0,0,0
InitialPbh=10, 0, 0
XyzAdjust=TRUE
Category=Aircraft
MomentumEffect=FALSE
ClipMode=Minimum
HotKeySelect=4
=========================================

You need to copy that text in a new created text file so you can paste it later in your aircrafts cfg.

Do not use the one here because you have a different Guid.

Then I suggest to proceed like this:

1. Uninstall ezdok

2. Uninstall B747 V3.

3. delete in your fsx folder/simobjects/airplanes/ all 6 entries of QOTS. If you have previous version installed (PMDG B747x) then be careful not to delete those folders by mistake as they are closely named).

4. reinstall both softwares BUT do not run the config tool.

Instead copy the saved text at end of each aircraft.cfg you want to use ezdok with.

Then fire up your sim and load B747 V3 and start ezdok.

You should be fine provided that ezdok with stock aircraft yields no problems and that Qots is properly installed and running.

If you want to start ezdok manually (what I recomend) you need to edit the:   your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\exe.xml and delete the lines referencing ezdok.

Louis,

Take a moment to read through this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/503520-pmdg-747-400-qotsii-issue-tracking-thread-read-before-posting/?p=3565626

We mention here an issue that has caused some users to have problems with loading, CTDs, and the like.  It is easy to self-solve while we are testing the permanent fix internally.  (Will be issued shortly...)

If the fixes recommended there do not cure your issue, then I'm pretty certain what you have is being caused by EZDok II.  We have had a number of customer complaints about the stability of EZDok II when used in conjunction with the 747, mostly because of some wild and crazy things it apparently does in order to "enhance realism.  What they wind up doing is hijacking a bunch of functions that other developers use for regular functionality- and it creates quite a trouble shooting headache.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

rvm33,

Thank you very much for this detailed and thoughtful advice. I have since fixed all of my EZDOK issues, but I will make a note of your suggestions and implement them, should I encounter problems in the future  :smile:

Tried your approach Louis but no luck so have opened a ticket

Terence,

I wrote a post on the EZDOK forum which collates everything I found regarding the middle mouse button issue, which I deemed to be perinent from my limited experience. You can view that post here.

Louis,

Take a moment to read through this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/503520-pmdg-747-400-qotsii-issue-tracking-thread-read-before-posting/?p=3565626

We mention here an issue that has caused some users to have problems with loading, CTDs, and the like.  It is easy to self-solve while we are testing the permanent fix internally.  (Will be issued shortly...)

If the fixes recommended there do not cure your issue, then I'm pretty certain what you have is being caused by EZDok II.  We have had a number of customer complaints about the stability of EZDok II when used in conjunction with the 747, mostly because of some wild and crazy things it apparently does in order to "enhance realism.  What they wind up doing is hijacking a bunch of functions that other developers use for regular functionality- and it creates quite a trouble shooting headache.

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for replying to my post, despite the fact that it's (sort of) not PMDG-related! I had already looked at this post, but I only scanned it. I'm pleased that the technical issues have been aknowledged and I look forward to the update. Hopefully my current set-up continues to behave. Thank so so much for a wonderful simulation!

Best regards,

Louis

Problem fixed, it was the engine and APU exhaust effects which were killing the external Fps. Disabled them and she works great (Thanks Paul Golnick). Strange though as I have a reasonable system.

Terence Jordan