Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

On The Fence... STILL

X-Plane 11 is NOT a Prepar3D killer; not in it's current state and the fact that it has been around for as long as the Microsoft's lineup of products yet has 1/4 the payware offerings of its competition is not a promising sign that it will ever be able to overtake the ESP engine market.

That's not a valid comparison since XP has never had anywhere near the same market share as MSFS for various reasons but that's a whole different discussion. This will change of course. I don't see many people still using FSX in 5-10 years and we still don't know how much LM can squeeze out of the engine as it stands. I'm still perplexed why you (and many others) feel the need to compare bone stock XP11 to fully loaded P3D.

• Upvote 4

X-Plane 11 is NOT a Prepar3D killer; not in it's current state and the fact that it has been around for as long as the Microsoft's lineup of products yet has 1/4 the payware offerings of its competition is not a promising sign that it will ever be able to overtake the ESP engine market. 

You realize that we don't all fly tubeliners, right?  :wink:

In my view, X-Plane has already overtaken the light GA, vintage GA, and helicopter market from legacy FSX code. The flight models are better, the scenery is better, and we're getting smooth operation at high frame rates using all the resources of modern computers in a 64-bit environment. 

We're not quite there with airliners, but Austin & Co. have never targeted scheduled airliner ops as the first priority with X-Plane. But we seem to be getting there by slow stages anyway. If we're not there yet in enough depth to satisfy, just wait a year and check back.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

You realize that we don't all fly tubeliners, right?  :wink:

In my view, X-Plane has already overtaken the light GA, vintage GA, and helicopter market from legacy FSX code. The flight models are better, the scenery is better, and we're getting smooth operation at high frame rates using all the resources of modern computers in a 64-bit environment. 

We're not quite there with airliners, but Austin & Co. have never targeted scheduled airliner ops as the first priority with X-Plane. But we seem to be getting there by slow stages anyway. If we're not there yet in enough depth to satisfy, just wait a year and check back.

Agree here.  I've been with FS for many years (since MS FS5.0).  While XP is still lacking behind ESP with airliners, the general aviation flying in XP is well ahead of ESP.

There are just a few addons I miss on XP.  Realair comes to mind and also the A2A Comanche with GTN 750.  However, RXP has done a GTN sim for XP now and there the 3d integrations are sparse.  I imagine as XP11 goes RTM more devs will build the GTN into their cockpits.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There are just a few addons I miss on XP.  Realair comes to mind and also the A2A Comanche with GTN 750.

Those two brands come to my mind also. I see no XP's, that actually beat them, flight model wise. That's contrary to some other beliefs I see around here. Not saying some of these newer XP flight models are poor, since I actually like them. Just not better. 

Final Verdict:   Not Ready for my type of flying.

I have flown 6 full flights.   It is pretty darn good right out of the box but does not compare to a fully payware modded P3D still.   There are still too many things that I want or need to make this my go to sim for airline flying.   I am eager to see it improve in areas of weather generation, real time offline ATC, AI control of traffic and better payware planes and scenery offerings.

Things that it does get right;   Lighting, the feeling of flight, better usage of today's hardware, better looking default scenery.

X-Plane 11 is NOT a Prepar3D killer; not in it's current state and the fact that it has been around for as long as the Microsoft's lineup of products yet has 1/4 the payware offerings of its competition is not a promising sign that it will ever be able to overtake the ESP engine market.   I think I will use Prepar3D for my daytime flights and use X-Plane for my night operations for now.

Out of the box it is the P3D killer ! The ESP engine is a dinosaur. Its a joke as you watch the scenery continually come into focus as fly. Your modded P3D cost you a arm and a leg (3-4K)! It might cost you another 1k-2k to just update your addons when P3D goes 64bit. I guess you better get your money worth !   

Those two brands come to my mind also. I see no XP's, that actually beat them, flight model wise. That's contrary to some other beliefs I see around here. Not saying some of these newer XP flight models are poor, since I actually like them. Just not better. 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/503840-interesting-video-and-setup/

• Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Everything with helicopters is better in X-Plane. But I know not everyone is a rotorhead, and can appreciate how much better the flight models are here. :smile:

I think X-Plane is pulling ahead on failure modes too, like in-flight icing, wet/icy runway friction, and a few other things. Real-world pilots deal with in-flight icing. You want that in a flight sim, right? It's not perfectly modeled in X-Plane, but at least it's there.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Everything with helicopters is better in X-Plane. But I know not everyone is a rotorhead, and can appreciate how much better the flight models are here. :smile:

I think X-Plane is pulling ahead on failure modes too, like in-flight icing, wet/icy runway friction, and a few other things. Real-world pilots deal with in-flight icing. You want that in a flight sim, right? It's not perfectly modeled in X-Plane, but at least it's there.

I'm not particularly fond of helicopters, so I don't get too upset with the fact, that MSFS doesn't model them as well as XP.  As to in flight icing, I don't care about that one, because it's only a sim, and not really dealing with actual effects. I'm very aware of real life icing.  It was one of the strong points in IFR classes because it happens all the time around here, in the winter months. BTW-- carb heat/icing issues are way over done in XP.

I see in this thread, or at least another thread associated with this one, using the term "buoyancy".  A real life, small airplane doesn't give me a feel of buoyancy.  I'm quite good at detecting lift under the wings, and the associated feel, which is more solid. Almost like concrete, which is the reason I had no fear of height, when flying thousands of feet above the ground, versus peering over the edge of a high rise.  I could always easily detect an out of trim airplane, because you can feel the pressure of the air molecules over the flight surfaces. Do a short field takeoff, and feel the air pressure/lift against the wing, as you push against the yoke, to maintain level flight. It's a very solid and powerful push. Not a sensation of floating.  When some of the older & less perfect X-Plane models were fluttering side to side and for & aft, like out of control dutch roll, some users were thinking this was authentic. To me, it was just plain wrong.  As I've long time mentioned, sometimes, we just seem to be sitting, while actually doing over 200 mph, while the ground just seems to move below.  Never the less, it's a feeling of being on something solid. The only time I actually felt less than solid, and potentially out of control.............is when I actually wrecked the real life airplane. A case of actual PIO. 

Same old same old... Again. How boring.

• Upvote 6

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

People seem to forget that XP11 is public beta. I dont understand how anyone can make a "final verdict" on a product until it is a finished and complete product.

• Upvote 4

Think what you want.  Just don't spread it around, as though it's fact. Far too many ideas, of what flight is, float around here, in simmers heads. Even if they are incorrect.  Do please enlighten me, with correctness. 

P.S. --- Haven't tried the stock XP11 Cessna 172.  Perhaps it's wonderful, I wouldn't know.

Yes, far too many ideas, but usually it's LAdamson's one versus all others  :wink:

• Upvote 5

Agree

But we simmers having no real world experience only rely on real world pilot inputs and nowadays watching youtube videos.

I never knew that an aircraft actually flys on rails irl. But reading stuff and watching videos does show it the other way.

I knew what torque is but never understood the effect of it till there was this complain about it in XP10 and how you put the details and then it got rectified.

Think what you want.  Just don't spread it around, as though it's fact. Far too many ideas, of what flight is, float around here, in simmers heads. Even if they are incorrect.  Do please enlighten me, with correctness. 

P.S. --- Haven't tried the stock XP11 Cessna 172.  Perhaps it's wonderful, I wouldn't know.

Yeah the stock 172 seems to be good. There is a video by a forum member here about the XX + XP11 172 and he does say that he finds the XP11 172 better.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Agree

But we simmers having no real world experience only rely on real world pilot inputs and nowadays watching youtube videos.

I never knew that an aircraft actually flys on rails irl. But reading stuff and watching videos does show it the other way.

I knew what torque is but never understood the effect of it till there was this complain about it in XP10 and how you put the details and then it got rectified.

Yeah the stock 172 seems to be good. There is a video by a forum member here about the XX + XP11 172 and he does say that he finds the XP11 172 better.

How do you know who has real world experience and who doesn't ? I would say 50% + of simmers have some real world hours logged. I have a PPL with hundreds of hours logged ! XPX feels more fluid vs P3D, which feels more like a controllable roller coaster.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

How do you know who has real world experience and who doesn't ?

I meant simmers having no real flight experience. that was a typo

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus