Sign in to follow this  
stesma54

How to move FSX to another drive

Hi everybody,i'm in need to move FSX to a new ssd,i've already read the solution here on Avsim and Mr Pieke suggested to copy the entire FSX folder to the new drive, and subsequently change the drive letters in Windows so that FSX is once again on a drive with the original drive letter.

I'd like to know the best way to copy the FSX folder,maybe Acronis true image or something like that?

I've already made a backup of my entire pc using Acronis true image

Idunno...

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Steve Smania

I did just this yesterday as I needed to format and resize the fsx partition. Mine was about 200gb size I just used Explorer to copy everything to a back up drive. I then formatted and partitioned the original drive changed letters then copied back. You may notice some icons not displaying correctly as Windows thinks source files are gone but they still work and an f5 refresh usually fixes that. If you can plug the new drive in same time as old one just copy across and change drive letters after. It'd probably the easiest task you can do without messing anything up.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Ok,thanks for answering me,i'll try what you did even though i'm a little scared to use Explorer handle that amount of GB (my FSX drive is about 600 GB).

But if you moved your stuff with no problem i figure there won't be any problem for me too.

Thank you again.

Best regards

Steve

Make sure you COPY AND PASTE NOT CUT AND PASTE that way you can keep original until you know copy works fine took 3 hours to move 200gb for me but that was not on board it was via usb2 to external sata and back

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I moved my FSX Folder  back and forth the other day. I was surprised to see that the FSX folder had 349,000 files in it. It's no wonder that running FSX can be tough going for a computer.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Dont forget that FSX uses a number of files in your profie such as controls.cfg, scenery.cfg, FSX.cfg etc.  Just copying the fsx folder to another drive might not work then if you delete your profile.

Ive never done a move of the fsx folder to another drive but I did transfer fsx to a new SSD drive a couple of years ago.  I did this by creating a clone of my c drive using acronis and mounting that on the new SSD, then changed the SSD to drive C.  It worked flawlessly first time (which never happens to me!), but in that case, I simply wanted to clone my entire c drive, not just FSX.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)