Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

>FUEL TANK/ENG

Since this keeps popping up, I'll mirror the Tutorial content here (though with a slight variation), and add a little bit of detail.

The >FUEL TANK/ENG message pops up to notify you that you need to configure the tanks such that each TANK is fueling an ENGine (TANK per ENG, or TANK/ENG). If you look at the FUEL page, you will see that the only pumps running all four engines up to this point are the OVRD pumps in MAIN 2 and MAIN 3. These pumps are heaving fuel out of these tanks to keep all four engines running, and the reason you're running all of the engines off of these tanks is that they can hold a lot more fuel than the outboards (think of the profile of the wing here). Once the inboard and outboard tanks are all at the same level, though, there's no longer a reason to be heaving fuel out of the tanks, so you turn the OVRD pumps off, and then set the engines up in a way that they all draw from their own tank (this also ensures that if there's a leak in a line between one of the tanks and an engine, you're not going to affect more than one engine, in theory).

Things you will see in the half-minute video:

• FUEL TANK/ENG will happen when all tanks get down to being even, at about 30.0 (or 120.0 on the upper EICAS)*. Knowing this, I have the EICAS up to confirm the message and tank levels.
  • The OVRD pumps are turned off, and then the lower EICAS FUEL page is checked to verify that the individual tank pumps have taken over.
  • The outer crossfeeds are closed.
  • The final configuration is verified on the lower EICAS FUEL page, and the message is verified cleared on the upper EICAS.

I'll add this info to the Intro as well, as I'm sure it will help to have it there, too.

* 13.6 (or 54.4 on the upper EICAS) for those who use kilograms.

• Upvote 6

Kyle Rodgers

Addendum: :smile:

So in the middle your flight you went to make a sandwich and cut your finger. After your return trip from the urgent care center, you discover not only that you have a  Fuel Tank/Eng caution message, but also that you now have a fuel imbalance. Oh, no! What do you do?

Easy. Just turn off your MAIN 2 and MAIN 3 OVRD pumps but leave the outer crossfeed valves open. Then turn off the MAIN 2 and MAIN 3 pumps off as well. Now the two engines on the left will be drawing fuel from tank 1 and the right engines will be fed by tank 4. Keep a close eye on your fuel levels on the fuel synoptic page. Once tanks 1 and 2 (and 3 and 4, respectively) have an equal amount of fuel, turn on the MAIN 2 (and 3) pumps (not the OVRD) and open the outer crossfeed(s).

The QRH says only "[c]onfigure the fuel pumps and crossfeed valves as needed to balance fuel," so I figured I'd show a way of doing this because, believe me, it will happen to you . . . more than once (unless of course you set up the plane to do this automatically).

Cheers!

• Like 1

Walter Meier

Thanks Kyle, this makes me understand better about this EICAS message.

Continue making these tutorials to avoid creating many posts for these common types of problems.

Cheers  :smile:  :wink:

Iván Guerrero

It is reasonably easy to rebalance the fuel if needed, as Walter pointed out. But, a good guide for those perplexed by this procedure. Cheers Kyle

Best to not let it get to the point of needing to be re-balanced.

...but yes.

Kyle Rodgers

Walter,

I believe the supplemental procedure for lunch calls for hitting the F/A button and requesting it be brought to you.

Have you tried this yet?  It works for me.

No knives.  No missed fuel reconfigurations.  :hi:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Best to not let it get to the point of needing to be re-balanced.

...but yes.
Indeed, but then we mix humans into it, and, well, you know the rest..

On a related note:

Once tank to engine is established, tanks 1 and 4 are isolated, but there crossfeed between left and right, 2/3, is still open. Why are tank 2/3 crossfeed switches guarded, and why don't they get closed to prevent transfer? It's almost like flying a twin with the crossfeed left open.

Interestingly, on takeoff, this is not the case. Tank>Eng is fully isolated until about 2500ft. I noticed this today KVCV-KPHX on the -F

Trick when fiddling with fuel pumps is not to inadvertently deprive an engine of fuel...

• Upvote 3

spacer.png

Walter,

I believe the supplemental procedure for lunch calls for hitting the F/A button and requesting it be brought to you.

Have you tried this yet?  It works for me.

No knives.  No missed fuel reconfigurations.  :hi:

Unless of course you are a freight dog, in which case it is back to the above outlined procedure.  The main rule is never to confuse your R/W wife with a virtual F/A.  This rarely ends well.

• Upvote 3

Andrew Jones

I think too many people were spoiled with the high-tech, 21st century systems of the 777. :Tounge:  I have a blast flying the 747! 

I think too many people were spoiled with the high-tech, 21st century systems of the 777. :Tounge:  I have a blast flying the 747!

Agreed, brother Gabriel, more hands on is great.

spacer.png

Jordan,

The 2/3 Crossfeeds are managed by the Fuel Management cards automatically so they remain selected ON for managed and only turned OFF if you have a problem and require manual fuel management.

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg