Sign in to follow this  

What sort of an idiot does this...laser pen attack

I'm very glad to see here in the UK that this practise has now been made illegal and will carry a jail sentence.

It's taken long enough for our Department For Transport to do this but finally they have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38871180

What sort of an idiot does this "for a laugh"?

They walk among us, sadly... :(

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Happened to me about a year ago over Santo Domingo flying a 152. Pretty scary honestly.

I'm very glad to see here in the UK that this practise has now been made illegal and will carry a jail sentence.

It's taken long enough for our Department For Transport to do this but finally they have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38871180

What sort of an idiot does this "for a laugh"?

Stupid, irresponsible people, that's who.  Catching and successfully prosecuting them is the real trick.  The same thing goes for people who misuse drones... and any other device or tool that you can think of.  Just my dos centavos.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

In Sweden we have a law since 1988 called "The Radiation Protection Act" (In Swedish Strålskyddslagen1988:220). It says: 

1 § The purpose of this Act is to protect humans, animals and the environment from harmful effects of radiation.

2 § The law applies to both ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. With ionizing radiation provided gamma rays, X-rays, particle radiation or another to their similar biological effects. Non-ionizing radiation refers to optical radiation, radio frequency radiation, low frequency electric and magnetic fields, ultrasound or other to their similar biological effects.

The summer of 2016 was tried in a court if the law would also include laser pointer. The answer was that the law also included laser pointer.

Anyone who is guilty of crimes against the Radiation Protection Act can be sentenced to fines or imprisonment up to two years

It´s a non sense. Who in the world would like to put at risk hundreds of people. Anyway, hopefully pilot reports through ATC, and public help will help to catch these gentlemen infraganti some day and give them what they deserve.   

Difficult to catch people who do that sort of stupid stuff. To be honest, it's probably kids who don't think about the consequences of it too much, but that still ain't a good excuse.

Have actually had someone attempt to do that to me some years ago when flying near Leicester in the UK at about 2000 feet, never got me in the eyes directly, but I could see someone was clearly trying to at least hit the aeroplane although whether they were trying to get me, or even aware of how flipping stupid a thing to do it is, I couldn't say for sure.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

happened  here  in oz  the only  difference  is  the idiot decided  to do it  against  a police copter and  of  course   was  caught and  now before  the  court

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just  to add  to  my previous  post  since  his reason  for  using  the laser  on the police copter was,  he  thought  it  was  a ufo  lol wonder  how  it  will go  in court  if  he  decides  to go  with this

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I flew into Cairo two years ago at night and saw three green lasers flashing up at us as we came in in final approach.

We get this alot at Gatwick. We also get it alot when the pilots are doing a long day the following day and the filling out of paper work to extend their duties just happens to not give them enough rest for the following day

14ppkc-6.png

Just  to add  to  my previous  post  since  his reason  for  using  the laser  on the police copter was,  he  thought  it  was  a ufo  lol wonder  how  it  will go  in court  if  he  decides  to go  with this

Let's hope so, in which case they can charge him with endangering the planet; after all, if it really was an alien UFO, they'd potentially regard his laser pen shennanigans as a hostile act, which could trigger an interplanetary war. So, let's see, that'd be what? Endangering the lives of 7.5 billion people... 5,000 years minimum prison term? Seems fair to me.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

On 08/02/2017 at 8:49 AM, pilotinblue said:

It´s a non sense. Who in the world would like to put at risk hundreds of people. Anyway, hopefully pilot reports through ATC, and public help will help to catch these gentlemen infraganti some day and give them what they deserve.   

I agree it's non sense! Karma is a bi... 

skola

Has happened a few times this year at LPPT too :-/

On one occasion, Lisbon approach even directed approaching crew o turn off their lights at night, until on short final.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This happens unfortunately at EDI when using a particular runway direction.

The approach is over a couple of less than affluent areas and its usually neds doing it.

I believe because it was happening on such a regular basis at one point the police,airport and crews managed to pinpoint the address and caught the guy

But there are others still doing it

Pete Little