Sign in to follow this  
paulh1

Checklists

Hi All

After installing and running queen of the skies 2 (great aircraft)

I have been going through the manual and checklists figuring out correct startup procedures.

One point I would like to make, is that it is great to see that everything is as real to life as possible.

And all the check lists are presented with captain and first officer duties, 

However It dosent help us much as most people fly the plane by themselves.

So I am trying to figure out in which order to carry on with a full start up procedure

by myself. And what is the correct sequence in doing this.

If any one can supply me with an accurate single person start up procedure I would much appreciate this.

As the manuals don't provide it.  (queen of the skies 2)

Regards  Paul

Paul I've bought the QOTS III but have been too busy real world to fly it. However, all other PMDG aircraft I've bought come with a very realistic Boeing-style QRH, which should have a normal checklist in it. Have a look in your operations centre under documentation.

Paul,

If you look at the FCOM you will notice that most of the prep work is done by the F/O and the captain re-checks certain aspects and there are points where they flows overlap.   I don't like to to make the flow overly complicated because, to be honest, unless you actually intend to fly in the right seat, you won't want to bother with F/O specific aspects.   Here is what I do:-

1.   I follow the correct power-up procedure

2.   I run the full scan of the upper overhead, the CB-panel and then the lower overhead.

3.   I follow this with a left-to-right flow on the captain's side starting with the O2 test, then the SISP, the over to the 

EFIS, then the MCP, the mid-section below, followed by the throttles and pedestal.

4.  AFter this I setup the FMC.

When done with this flow, you have covered everything and you are ready to take the preflight checklist and follow the items from there.

Hope it helps :-)

Regards

Paul,

I haven't done this yet for the 747, but have done something similar for the 777, 737, and A320.

In general, I build my checklists from the Normal and Supplementary Procedures from the FCOM. For the preflight checklist, you'll likely find that doing the FO checklist followed by the Captain's checklist gives a pretty decent flow without too much redundancy. In both of the Boeing aircraft I've done, there is an Electrical Power Up supplementary procedure to accomplish if you start from a cold and dark state. Also, think about the best place in the checklist to set up the FMC. I tend to wait on doing that until a written checklist steps depends on the FMC, such as checking he flight instruments, which may require performance information to have been entered, such as on the 737. Since I fly on VATSIM, this also drives when I ask for an ATC clearance. You'll end up alternating between the FO and Captain checklists throughout the flight.

I hope this helps,

Craig

There isn't an easy way to learn. That's why learning is hard. It does get easier the more you try, the more you study. I'll tell you where to start.

Once the the Queen has loaded up, do the following in order:

FCOM Supplementary Procedure 6.1 - Electrical Power Up

All of the FCOM Normal Procedures - Amplified procedures, in order, starting at:

- Preliminary Preflight Procedure - Captain or First Officer, then,

- CDU Preflight Procedure - Captain or First Officer etc.

You can skip the Exterior Inspection and go to the Preflight Procedure - First Officer.

Don't skip any of the procedures (except those ones that you know can't be done), otherwise you might miss something. It will take a while to learn these procedures, but once you do, it is extremely rewarding. You will eventually be able to do all of the Preflight flows in less than 30 minutes. Also, the flows are standardised in the Boeing fleets, so you will hop in, say a 737, or a 777, or the 747-8 and do exactly the same things. So you should teach yourself the proper way, and not take shortcuts.

The QRH Normal Checklists are only to be used to "Check" the "list"ed items at the right times as published in the FCOM Normal Procedures - Amplified Procedures.

For example, the CAPTAIN calls for the "PREFLIGHT CHECKLIST" after finishing his FCOM Normal Procedures - Amplified Procedures, Preflight Procedure - Captain. When he (you) calls for that checklist, you go to the QRH, and go to the Normal Checklists, and !!!"CHECK"!!! those items under the Preflight heading.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

Brian Nellis