Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

Overclocking the i7-4790k

I have tried searching on google for an answer on this, but haven't found anything useful.

First, my PC specs:

CPU: i7-4790k

MB:  MSI B85M-E45

GPU: Geforce GTX 770 2GB

RAM: 8 GB

So, I decided to try OC my CPU to get some more FPS. Since I never have done this before, I went to google and started reading a few guides. One guide I found, was using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and I started with that one.

My problem is that I cannot go any higher than 44x on the multipliers for the active cores. 

S3lWa0hU.jpeg

I also tried overclocking in BIOS, with the same result. My computer runs stable at these settings, and the temperature is not an issue yet, so I believe it should be possible to go higher, but I´m unable to.

Any advice?

Marius S

I would hazard a guess that the 44x is all the board is capable of.  You need a z87 or z97 board for serious overclocking

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

You are probably right. So that means a new motherboard then, and probably a new CPU aswell. Did someone say this hobby is expensive?

Marius S

Before you make major changes, I would clean the contacts between your CPU and cooling and reapply the thermal paste. I have the same CPU, had it overclocked to 4.7 and ran fine for couple years until one day I would get BSOD when I start a flight on P3D. Reapplying new paste worked .

Make sure you have 10.9 bios.  I wish you good luck.

• Like 1

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

That is a very basic motherboard, I don't believe it will give you the option to select past x44, and even if it did the motherboard would not be able to handle the current reliably. There's a reason good overclocking boards start at $180 USD.

With that said 4.4 is not bad, even with a higher end board and delidding I'm only 400 mhz over what your running. Not night and day by any means, hold off the upgrade till your ready to upgrade the whole system.

• Upvote 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Thanks for all the answers. At the moment I get acceptable performance with my current settings. Going from 4 to 4.4 Ghz made a huge difference. But I will probably start saving for a new MB and CPU to buy sometimes in the future. Is it still the case that a good CPU is more important than the graphic card for P3D?

Marius S

Thanks for all the answers. At the moment I get acceptable performance with my current settings. Going from 4 to 4.4 Ghz made a huge difference. But I will probably start saving for a new MB and CPU to buy sometimes in the future. Is it still the case that a good CPU is more important than the graphic card for P3D?

Yes, unfortunately even with LM moving much of the processing to the GPU it is still very much CPU driven.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+