Sign in to follow this  
planiac

VAS problem

Hi guys,

Firstly, thank you to anyone that responds!

I seem to have a VAS issue when flying the 747. Any other aircraft seems to work fine, but when using the 74 she just wan't to OOM when I reach the end of my flight. Sometimes at the start too depending on the scenery. 

I get the terrifying ding dong type alert when landed or approaching the field. Sometimes farther out depending on weather. I appreciate that I use AS16, ORBX Global, Vector and England as well as REX 4 clouds so the sim has its work cut out, but it only wants to OOM when using the 747. 

Now the sim doesn't always OOM. I've had that happen 2 or 3 times. The main issue is the ding dong alert that signifies imminent death. I use process explorer to monitor VAS as I don't have a full FSUIPC licence. the lowest I see when using the 747 is about 3.2GB usage which peaks to 3.85 when landing at the destination. The alert omes on around 3.9GB.

I fully understand that PMDG test their aircraft in a clean sim because they can't replicate everyone's sim environments, but I love realism and that means scenery and weather etc. the longest flight I've managed so far is 4hrs and that includes takeoff and landing. I have set her on a heading and left her going to see how long she can go without the desire to OOM. I left her overnight and she was still going 10hrs later. Granted the scenario wasn't over any intense scenery, but I was getting overcast weather from AS16. I didn't land either so not a brilliant test, but at least I know she's capable of running for a while. 

I would love to be able to sort this, but being able to retain a pretty sim if possible would be brilliant!

My settings for flying the Queen are as follows:

5czOWAT.jpg

MW212w4.jpgsGHWSdx.jpg

EJogsjg.jpgNWJbCyJ.jpg

Thanks again for the help guys!

Dan

Its likely you will need to remove most if not all road and sea traffic. Also if you have not already, read the Avsim Prepar3D Guide v1 for some helpful tips to conserve VAS.

In my experience, your P3D settings have small impact on VAS and nothing you posted looks like a problem.  I recommend you get the AVSIM Prepar3D Guide, see the pinned topic in the avsim P3D forum.

Number one problem is scenery.  Of your 4 GB budget, the simulation takes a little over 1 GB, the airplane takes a little less than 1 GB, which leaves you with about 2 GB that gets used up by scenery. Some scenery is worse than others, one very bad one will user over 1 GB for just an airport. One airport.

You need to look closely at the guide I recommended.

Dan Downs KCRP

Move down on scenery to dense - no need to have it higher. Actually overall I have more complex setting plus ut traffic and I'm nowhere near any oom.

• Upvote 1

Tom Link

Well I have higher settings than you on above everything apart from cars/boats etc which I just have off and doing a bunch of flights over the weekend I never went OOM. I used Flytampas Sydney, Amsterdam as well as Aerosoft Bali and other payware scenery and was never even close to OOM. My last flight from Bali to Sydney I was only at 75% usage according to both Chaseplane and the Project Fly Tool. During flight I was only at 68%.

I have all the Orbx global addons as well apart from Vector.

From EGFF to YSSY

Its likely you will need to remove most if not all road and sea traffic.

Thanks Paul. I'll look into that.

I recommend you get the AVSIM Prepar3D Guide, see the pinned topic in the avsim P3D forum.

I have started to look at this Dan. Thanks for the recommendation. Will post results post cfg edit etc.

Move down on scenery to dense - no need to have it higher. Actually overall I have more complex setting plus ut traffic and I'm nowhere near any oom.

This is what I mean Tom. My PC is more than capable of running higher settings and it does; just not with the 747. I just re-installed the 777 to see how she performs in comparison and the highest usage I was getting was 3.4GB with airport scenery and weather.

Thanks for the help guys.

Well I have higher settings than you on above everything apart from cars/boats etc which I just have off and doing a bunch of flights over the weekend I never went OOM. I used Flytampas Sydney, Amsterdam as well as Aerosoft Bali and other payware scenery and was never even close to OOM. My last flight from Bali to Sydney I was only at 75% usage according to both Chaseplane and the Project Fly Tool. During flight I was only at 68%.

I have all the Orbx global addons as well apart from Vector.

At least some of us are getting to truly appreciate the beauty of the 747. Hopefully I can do the same soon!

At least some of us are getting to truly appreciate the beauty of the 747. Hopefully I can do the same soon!

Hope you get it fixed soon. I know some people also use programs like Simstarter which allows you to only load is scenery for a flight you are going to be using. Personally I dont have that but some people like it.

From EGFF to YSSY

Thanks Barry, I've heard about Simstarter. I know it sounds bad, but I would love to avoid compromises and just have it work! I'll take a look nonetheless and see if I notice any improvements.  

I have Simstarter excellent program don't want to use my sim without it

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

I purchased sim starter last week and totally screwed up my p3d. Had to reinstall everything. A descent tutorial would be a great advantage.

Thanks Barry, I've heard about Simstarter. I know it sounds bad, but I would love to avoid compromises and just have it work! I'll take a look nonetheless and see if I notice any improvements.  

When I get home I will post my settings in P3D if you want. Things that might make a difference is that Active Sky and programs like PFPX I run from a different computer on my network so if you have those on the P3D computer that might be impacting you a little as well.

From EGFF to YSSY

If you have a 4 core Intel CPU:

Turning off Hyperthreading (HT) in the bios on my Intel CPU eliminated my VAS problems in P3D. I got back ~300mb. 

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

There's a VAS issue wirh the latest Nvidia 78.49 drivers. Revert back to the 76.33 drivers if your using the 78.49

• Upvote 3

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

When I get home I will post my settings in P3D if you want. Things that might make a difference is that Active Sky and programs like PFPX I run from a different computer on my network so if you have those on the P3D computer that might be impacting you a little as well.

Thanks Barry, not sure if that'll be of use given all sims are different right? But, any help I can get would be great! I only run PFPX during pre-flight, then its gone for the remainder. Of course active sky is running throughout. The frustrating thing is the T7 runs better when I'm sure PMDG claimed to have improved VAS performance on the 74.

I purchased sim starter last week and totally screwed up my p3d. Had to reinstall everything. A descent tutorial would be a great advantage.

This is my concern, I've downloaded it, but we'll see if I install it or not.

There's a VAS issue with the latest Nvidia 78.49 drivers. Revert back to the 76.33 drivers if your using the 78.49

Thanks Floyd, I'll revert when I get back home. Hopefully I'll see some results.

If you have a 4 core Intel CPU:

Turning off Hyperthreading (HT) in the bios on my Intel CPU eliminated my VAS problems in P3D. I got back ~300mb. 

Thanks Bob, I'll check this out as well.