Sign in to follow this  
planiac

VAS problem

I purchased sim starter last week and totally screwed up my p3d. Had to reinstall everything. A descent tutorial would be a great advantage.

Sorry to hear that it's a great program you just got to know what your doing I agree a tutorial would be great

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

Hi guys, I have been going through the P3D Guide you recommended in between work and It's having a small effect. I also went and disabled any scenery I didn't need and I only got the alert sound once on the ground and shut down at my destination - so all in all not too bad so far. Hope to look at config files some time soon. Just thought I'd keep you all updated!

Cheers,

Dan 

I have flown FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D for years and never had an OOM or VAS issue until flying PMGD aircraft. Let me preface that by saying that most of my flying before PMDG was done on the Twin Otter Extended and other bush planes. Strictly bush type scenarios and over-water island hopping.

Now I've graduated to more "sophisticated" flying and started with the NGX and now the 747 v3. I fly with FSGlobal 2010, FTX global, vector, Europe LC, ASN, etc.. But no individual airports. (I prefer the whole experience as compared to the start and finish) I have my settings pretty high (see Matt Davies' settings) and I have the best of the best in terms of hardware.

The only OOM I have had s far was flying into default EGLL, and we all know what a PITA EGLL can be with OOM issues. So here's my point..... We are all bound by the 4gb limit and if you do the slightest bit of research into this issue, it becomes readily apparent that VAS and OOM issues are directly correlated to incredibly complex add-on scenery and eye-candy like photorealistic home and destination airports. I can do full 12 hour flights in the 747 v3 without any VAS or OOM issues as long as I leave EGLL out of the equation. And if I do fly into or out of EGLL, I simply save, exit and reload the flight to restart the VAS. Flight swimming has never been better and the PMGD aircraft have taken this hobby into the next level.

I went to the doctor the other day and complained to him that I OOM'd while flying into EGLL. His response was don't fly into EGLL.......

Folks, it's an easy answer to all your problems. Work the sim and don't let the sim work you....

• Upvote 1

I have flown FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D for years and never had an OOM or VAS issue until flying PMGD aircraft. Let me preface that by saying that most of my flying before PMDG was done on the Twin Otter Extended and other bush planes. Strictly bush type scenarios and over-water island hopping.

Now I've graduated to more "sophisticated" flying and started with the NGX and now the 747 v3. I fly with FSGlobal 2010, FTX global, vector, Europe LC, ASN, etc.. But no individual airports. (I prefer the whole experience as compared to the start and finish) I have my settings pretty high (see Matt Davies' settings) and I have the best of the best in terms of hardware.

The only OOM I have had s far was flying into default EGLL, and we all know what a PITA EGLL can be with OOM issues. So here's my point..... We are all bound by the 4gb limit and if you do the slightest bit of research into this issue, it becomes readily apparent that VAS and OOM issues are directly correlated to incredibly complex add-on scenery and eye-candy like photorealistic home and destination airports. I can do full 12 hour flights in the 747 v3 without any VAS or OOM issues as long as I leave EGLL out of the equation. And if I do fly into or out of EGLL, I simply save, exit and reload the flight to restart the VAS. Flight swimming has never been better and the PMGD aircraft have taken this hobby into the next level.

I went to the doctor the other day and complained to him that I OOM'd while flying into EGLL. His response was don't fly into EGLL.......

Folks, it's an easy answer to all your problems. Work the sim and don't let the sim work you....

What Matt Said... 

I just landed into FACT from FNLU after 3 and a bit hours (with a go around) , and still had about 1 - 1.2GB VAS remaining.... 

and that's with FTX Global, ASN, REX clouds, Textures and Airports HD.  

With 4GB only being available, sadly you cant have your cake and eat it. 

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

you cant have your cake and eat it.

Exactly my point. Enjoy this fantastic product by whatever means you can. If that involves sacrificing some scenery to let it run properly, than so be it. NO bit of hardware will let you run with every add-on at top settings. Trust me. This is my only hobby, as it is with most of you out there, and I've invested thousands in hardware and software in chasing the perfect flight sim. You can only go so far before you start having to make compromises. I'll leave it up to you to determine where to make the compromises, but it sure isn't the fault of the PMDG folks. Look at your own setup first before questioning the product they are putting out. Please, research what is already out there and don't just buy into something because some random person on AVSIM or some other forum says it is so. People like Word Not Allowed, Froogle, Matt Davies, Dan Downs, and others are highly respected (if I left you out forgive me). Listen to them. Enjoy this hobby. Stop chasing FPS. Stop chasing VAS. Enjoy the sim.

I Appreciate your responses Matt and Liam, but I quite like to eat the cake.

You see when I can run Matt Davies' settings with add-on airports, weather and ORBX scenery when flying the T7 or BBS A330 or basically any other aircraft in my hangar - I'd like to be able to do it with my newest aircraft too. 

I am slowly reducing the load on P3D, although I'm not sure if its P3D or FS95 now  :wink: Hopefully with a bit of config manipulation I'll get her running nice.

Let me say though that the lowest I've seen VAS usage with the queen is about 3.4GB. This slowly climbs up to 3.8GB and then 3.9GB at the destination when the alert tones start blaring out. the T7 hovers around 3.6GB for the most part. I can do long flights and when the scenery concerned isn't too intense all is fine. 

I'm a guy who likes realism, and to me that means scenery and weather combined with the fantastic aircraft that PMDG produce. To others, maybe not, but to ME thats how I like it and there must be a way to make it work without a compromise so drastic as to make my sim look 8bit.

Dan

• Upvote 1

There's a VAS issue wirh the latest Nvidia 78.49 drivers. Revert back to the 76.33 drivers if your using the 78.49

That pretty much sorted the "sudden" VAS issues I was having with the T7.  Wonder if anyone has told nvidia their latest drivers are a dud?

Jim Mclean

Jim

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

That pretty much sorted the "sudden" VAS issues I was having with the T7.  Wonder if anyone has told nvidia their latest drivers are a dud?

Jim Mclean

I've seen this before but I'm running this version without any issues so I'm not sure it's 100% true it's a driver version issue only. Maybe in combination with other things such as what kind of graphics card you're using.

I'm on an MSI 980Ti using 378.49 and again...I have zero issues and this is on a rather complex setup with lots of stuff installed.

Richard Åsberg

QUOTS2 seems to be 300 MB heavier on VAS than the 777 from what I have seen on my fsx.

So I did not notice any improvement over the 777 but the opposite.

Anyhow, a piece of art!

I've been getting a crash to desktop from clicking the 2D pop ups. When I did so, it looked like my VAS monitor read 100% when for 8 hours, I was steady at 3.1GB with AS16, low settings, etc.

We're in the same boat when it comes to being disappointed about a crash after spending 8 or 9 hours doing something. I mean, last night was the 5th time. Can't do that anymore until it's fixed.

Good luck!

I've seen this before but I'm running this version without any issues so I'm not sure it's 100% true it's a driver version issue only. Maybe in combination with other things such as what kind of graphics card you're using.

I'm on an MSI 980Ti using 378.49 and again...I have zero issues and this is on a rather complex setup with lots of stuff installed.

I have a complex setup also

There definitely is an issue with the driver. I wasn't having any issue's flying low and slow but when I was flying at high altitude I couldn't even make it from CYVR to CYLW (one of my usual routes) without having an OOM, didn't matter what type of aircraft. The only thing different was the driver and after reverting, my OOM issue went away.

edit: I'm using a gtx1080

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I have a complex setup also

There definitely is an issue with the driver. I wasn't having any issue's flying low and slow but when I was flying at high altitude I couldn't even make it from CYVR to CYLW (one of my usual routes) without having an OOM, didn't matter what type of aircraft. The only thing different was the driver and after reverting, my OOM issue went away.

edit: I'm using a gtx1080

Yep, just as I was saying it might be a driver-graphics card combination issue. We've seen those before where some people are having severe issues while other don't.

Richard Åsberg

I'm a guy who likes realism, and to me that means scenery and weather combined with the fantastic aircraft that PMDG produce.

I agree totally. Hopefully soon we'll all have a platform that we can really load up on.

I've been getting a crash to desktop from clicking the 2D pop ups.

I had this with the NGX. I never did figure out why it was happening so I just stopped using the pop-ups.

Wonder if anyone has told nvidia their latest drivers are a dud?

I've been seeing this a lot lately. I rolled back my drivers just in case but I haven't seen a difference yet. Can anyone post some actual differences in the two drivers and VAS usage?

I'm just departed FSDT PHNL in the UPS747F with a VAS 2631 on departure. I'm flying down to YSSY so I won't be overflying any mesh or add-on airports. So far with barley if any clouds in the sky my VAS is slowly climbing. After the first hour I'm up to VAS 2741 (67%). Will see if it continues to climb over open water. Others in my VA have flown this route and they all experanced high vas warnings and crashes before they reach YSSY. By the way, we don't experience this issue in the 777.

Depart: 2631

​Hour 1: 2741 (67%)

Hour 2: 2796 (69%)

​Hour 3: 2828 (70%)

​Hour 4: 3122 (77%) <--Was at 71% 5 minutes before recording time. Still over the ocean.

Hour 5: Flight In Progress

Hour 6: Flight In Progress

Hour 7: Flight In Progress

I am not using traffic, ships or AI's. I am staying inside the flight deck and not moving views except to fly the plane.

System is i7 4790K @ 4.7, EVGA 1080 FTW @ 4K w\376.33, 16gb Corsair Memory, 2x 1TB Samsung EVO 850SSD. I also run a client so all external programs run from there via simconnect or widefs.

What Matt Said...

I just landed into FACT from FNLU after 3 and a bit hours (with a go around) , and still had about 1 - 1.2GB VAS remaining....

and that's with FTX Global, ASN, REX clouds, Textures and Airports HD.

With 4GB only being available, sadly you cant have your cake and eat it.

When you fly longer than 3+ hours, try 7+ than report back with your VAS usage. Until them this information does not pertain to the topic and anyone can fly the 747 under 4 hours with no issues..

Dan Moore

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro