Sign in to follow this  
planiac

VAS problem

Anxious to hear how it works out for you. Will you be using any YSSY scenery at destination?

Anxious to hear how it works out for you. Will you be using any YSSY scenery at destination?

I'll be using FlyTampa YSSY, lite edition.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I'm just departed FSDT PHNL in the UPS747F with a VAS 2631 on departure. I'm flying down to YSSY so I won't be overflying any mesh or add-on airports. So far with barley if any clouds in the sky my VAS is slowly climbing. After the first hour I'm up to VAS 2741 (67%). Will see if it continues to climb over open water. Others in my VA have flown this route and they all experanced high vas warnings and crashes before they reach YSSY. By the way, we don't experience this issue in the 777.

Depart: 2631

​Hour 1: 2741 (67%)

Hour 2: 2796 (69%)

​Hour 3: 2828 (70%)

​Hour 4: 3122 (77%) <--Was at 71% 5 minutes before recording time. Still over the ocean.

Hour 5: Flight In Progress

Hour 6: Flight In Progress

Hour 7: Flight In Progress

I am not using traffic, ships or AI's. I am staying inside the flight deck and not moving views except to fly the plane.

System is i7 4790K @ 4.7, EVGA 1080 FTW @ 4K w\376.33, 16gb Corsair Memory, 2x 1TB Samsung EVO 850SSD. I also run a client so all external programs run from there via simconnect or widefs.

Hour 5: 3172 (78%)

Hour 6: 3210 (79%)

Hour 7: Flight In Progress

Hour 8: Flight In Progress

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Hour 8 will be the decider I think; decending into addon scenery is the killer for me at least. 

anyone can fly the 747 under 4 hours with no issues..

Not me, I can takeoff and cruise for as long as my tanks will allow, but dropping down into addon scenery and potential weather is what ends me. I haven't had an OOM in there air for a while now, but it starts when I land.

To update my progress though: 

Tested the T7 - works fine! Actually forgot how nice she is to fly. Max VAS is between 3.4/3.5GB, and that is absolute MAX. 

747 is using that much VAS before even leaving the stand sometimes. Setting are quite a bit reduced, but it still looks pretty which is a bonus. Still haven't messed with cfg files yet but hope to tomorrow on my day off.

Also I dropped the ORBX Vector settings in accordance with the AVSIM Guide and I think that had quite a nice effect. Not nice enough to eliminate OOM's though! 

I was having OOM issues with Flight 1 Mustang and their KingAir 200, and while reading posts in the FSlabs forum, someone suggested turning off Shadercache in Nivida Inspector, and since doing that I have not had any OOM flying those aircraft, and no hit on FPS. Just a thought.

Martin

Maybe it was already mentioned in a previous post what simulator and version you guys are using but if it's P3Dv3.4 I would highly recommend going back to 3.3.5 or even better 3.2 if you're currently suffering from VAS issues and can't find another solution.

Although I haven't tried the latest 3.4 hotfix I had major VAS issues when 3.4 was first released. After reverting to 3.2 all VAS issues were gone.

Richard Åsberg

I was having OOM issues with Flight 1 Mustang and their KingAir 200, and while reading posts in the FSlabs forum, someone suggested turning off Shadercache in Nivida Inspector, and since doing that I have not had any OOM flying those aircraft, and no hit on FPS. Just a thought.

Martin

Hi Martin, I looked for that menu, how exactly do I find it to turn it off in the NVI?

Jack Sawyer

I had major VAS issues when 3.4 was first released. After reverting to 3.2 all VAS issues were gone.

It seems like you had a Sim issue. My sim works just fine with every aircraft and I've only OOM'd with the 747, so I'm 99% sure she's the cause.

Martin, I will check out the nvidia inspector shadercache.

Dan

Hi Jack, I should of mentioned that I believe you need to have a Nividia video card, if you do just google Nividia Inspector and download it. When you open it go down to the subheading COMMON and you'll see the Shadercache, just click off then save it!

Martin

Hi Jack, I should of mentioned that I believe you need to have a Nividia video card, if you do just google Nividia Inspector and download it. When you open it go down to the subheading COMMON and you'll see the Shadercache, just click off then save it!

Martin

Thanks Martin, I have a GTX980 and I use the NVI.  So now I'll look for this option, thanks!

Jack Sawyer

Daniel,

That's not quite a fair assessment. VAS is a total sum issue. Even if we reduced the 747 down to using 200MB of VAS, you can still run OOM the sim by loading tons of scenery, and I'd argue people would still argue that the cause was us, despite being the lowest memory user of the stack in that case. The problem is that, as you pare down your memory footprint, you also pare down functionality, texture quality, and features.

An OOM error is the result of everything you've loaded into the stack. When it topples, the sim quits. Generally, the largest users of VAS are scenery add-ons. Rightfully so given the vast areas that they can cover, but that doesn't mean the scenery comes without a cost. Then again, there are also a number of airport add-ons out there that are quite the VAS hogs. A single airport can consume more VAS than the aircraft itself. And for what? Simulated HD interiors that I never walk into? Don't get me wrong, there are a number of great airport developers who do an amazing job of packing detail in with little VAS/frame hit, but I don't think a lot of scenery devs do anywhere near as much VAS optimization as they could. We certainly do a good bit in our aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

What I`ll would is to minimize completly the shaddows. No Shaddows at all.

My%20Signature.jpg

It seems like you had a Sim issue. My sim works just fine with every aircraft and I've only OOM'd with the 747, so I'm 99% sure she's the cause.

Martin, I will check out the nvidia inspector shadercache.

Dan

OK, I heard people saying the 747's VAS footprint was about the same as the NGX and the T7 but if you are able to fly those or similar a/c without any VAS issues I guess you're right it's an issue specifically related to the 747.

Richard Åsberg

That's not quite a fair assessment. VAS is a total sum issue. Even if we reduced the 747 down to using 200MB of VAS, you can still run OOM the sim by loading tons of scenery, and I'd argue people would still argue that the cause was us, despite being the lowest memory user of the stack in that case. 

Kyle,

I appreciate all that you're saying, but I've run my new minimized settings with both the T7 and the 747 and the T7 which I think PMDG claimed is more VAS intensive than the 74 runs better all the time. I did the same flight that I've done in the 74 from UK2000 Gatwick to Edinburgh: 747 hits 3.9GB upon reaching EGPH and then starts the windows alert noise. If I go from VC to external she understandably crashes. The T7 is at 3.4GB MAX at EGPH. No issues. 

So I hope for those reasons you can understand why I'm a little confused. Although I also appreciate that I'm being a little naive expecting a brand new product to be perfect at release (not that it isn't - besides fatally crashing at the end of 80% percent of flights everything works stunningly and she's a beauty to fly - don't forget that) I hope with an update maybe the VAS usage; if recognised as a problem will be sorted.

Dan