Sign in to follow this  
planiac

VAS problem

OK, I heard people saying the 747's VAS footprint was about the same as the NGX and the T7 but if you are able to fly those or similar a/c without any VAS issues I guess you're right it's an issue specifically related to the 747.

This is my thinking anyway given the sim runs flawlessly with every other aircraft. 

Hi Jack, I should of mentioned that I believe you need to have a Nividia video card, if you do just google Nividia Inspector and download it. When you open it go down to the subheading COMMON and you'll see the Shadercache, just click off then save it!

Martin

Hello again Martin.  I looked in my NVI and I found something different than what was described so I'm posting a couple of images.  It shows what version of NVI I'm using for P3D 3.4 and the driver for my GTX980.  There just seems to be numbers in the box, and, it's not in the COMMON section.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Zf8o7wN.jpg

f2Wf0mn.jpg

Jack Sawyer

I have NI v1.9.7.3 I see that you are using v1.9.6.5 I wonder if that is why we have a different screens. Also running Geforce 368.22 and you have 376.33. And we both have GTX 980 and mine GTX 970.

My value HEX shows the same as yours above 0x00000000 so perhaps the newer NI just also allows an On or OFF, and mine is under Common but they should be the same thing. I recently downloaded my NI so it should be pretty up to date. I suspect that is why we see something different.

Martin

Thanks Martin, so do you think the hex with the last digit showing a zero is equivelent to Common's OFF?

My hex will allow me to switch to a hex with the last digit as a one. So I wonder of 0 means off and 1 means on?

Jack Sawyer

Hi Martin,

Just looking at NI now and have noticed you can select a P3D profile. Is this wise, or should I just stick with the default? Also, what effects does shadercache off have on the sim?

Thanks,

Dan

I just have mine set to Base Profile and I leave everything default except for tuning off the Shardercache. " It is a GPU feature provided by driver's control panels, its reduces CPU usage in video games by storing compiled shaders so the CPU doesn't have to compile them again, however I'm not sure how useful that is when using a flight simulator. I'm no expert on this, but it does seem to help me with OOM, just try it and if you don't see a difference then just change back.

Jack, when my Shardercache is set to on my HEX is 0x00000001 so yes it appears no is 0 and yes is 1 for the last digit.

Cheers

Martin

OK, I heard people saying the 747's VAS footprint was about the same as the NGX and the T7 but if you are able to fly those or similar a/c without any VAS issues I guess you're right it's an issue specifically related to the 747.

it uses about 300meg more VAS than the 737 or 777 for me..( fsx-steam). not sure if that is a glitch on my setup (i have not looked at the options much yet) or is just the expected difference. i think that number may go up a bit more if you run the vehicles around.

i don't really suspect it is a driver setting issue or anything at least for my system, none of that stuff has changed in ages...seems like it's just a flat out higher baseline from the airplane...not a big deal, for me it unfortunately puts things right at the limit where my usual 'reduced settings' that i use with the 777 simply aren't even close enough anymore, with heavier addon airports and regions.

on the plus side, with some of the lighter ones, and default airports, it works great.fabulous airplane.. at 1161meg it's a bit less than the concorde original version was which topped out at 1.5gig or something and used to hold the crown for my VAS eaters hall of fame... (although they since carved a lot of megs off that and now it's comparable to the other pmdg planes..)

cheers

-andy crosby

edit: here's my current vas listings for comparison

default trike		0
aerosoft beaver		98
jahn c-47		466
majestic q400		530
a2a constellation       551
milviz bobcat		804
fslabs concorde		829
pmdg 737		861
pmdg 777		872
pmdg 747		1161

I bought the FSX version due to statements from PMDG that the VAS usage would be lower than the 777. This is disappointing to learn the opposite is being seen the day after I finally purchased the Queen. - David Lee

OK, so last night was my first flight with the Queen (yes i bought it on release day, but only got the time last night for my first flight), all in all it went pretty well, i think my knowledge of the previous Queen did help alot.

I do have a huge concern, and that is my VAS usage, i use Scenery Configurator so only use scenery where i am flying, last night was a short hop from FAOR (Johannesburg) to FALE (King Shaka INt Durban), when i started my sim as usual my default is the trike, so started up, started my FSINN as usual, my VAS was around the 300000 mark, when i changed to the Queen it dropped to 260000 then as i was setting up continuously dropped to where i was ready to taxi to around the 169 000 mark. After i took off it climbed back to 180 000, passed T/C and just before T/D i had a "Out of Memory".

Now i have flown this specific route, many many times as i fly for BA Virtual, i tested the 777 and did not have the same issue. Luckilly i have FSUIPC Save on, so i could restart and finish my flight.

To be honest cant see how i can finish a flight from Johannesburg to Heathrow in this aircraft, i will give it a try this weekend and report back.

There is definitely a huge difference in the VAS footprint between the 777 and 747, i had 1 or 2 OOM with the 777 in the beginning, but this was quickly sorted, but the Queen is different monster, even on the 777 as the flight nears the end of a 11 hour flight the VAS is reduces significantly compared to the start of engines.

Last nights flight was approx 45 minutes, and i would say 20 minutes into the flight i got the dreaded OOM, as i said before i have Scenery Editor, so only chose the ones im flying into, ORBX World, AS2016, Avliasoft EFB and thats it.

So this is really bugging me!

Yeah, seems the 747 is harder on VAS than the other PMDG aircraft....

I have out of memory problems when landing....shortly before landing, the bell starts, signaling imminent OOM, which is annyoing as hell...

Then the sims closes, sometimes after landing, sometimes while landing etc.

• Upvote 1

Strange how much the VAS usage differs between different systems. Since purchasing the Queen I have flown EHAM/CYYZ, EHAM/TNCM, EGKK/KBOS and I am currently eroute Sydney via Hong Kong. My VAS on all flights has not dropped below 700mb, the lowest being on approach to CYYZ. At this moment I am somwhere over Russia and my remaining VAS is 983820. The only thing I have done differently is to uninstall GeForce Experience, which I noticed was using a hell of a lot of processing power and ram.

Flying live now if you want to check my progress

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I am also having VAS issues with the B747V3.

I have a brand new 7700K, GTX1070 (376.53 drivers), 16 GB 3200 memory and I cannot complete  a flight with the B747 even a small one, for example  a 1 h flight from Newcastle to Amsterdam. 

Edmundo Azevedo

Thought i'd join in and say i'm disappointed with the VAS. I have the 777 and i also was pleased to see the 747 using less VAS than the 777 prior to release. I'm having a hard time trying to fly this, FSX keeps crashing with out of memory... That's even after lowering setting and changing things. Don't have any issues at all with the 777. 

here's my current vas listings for comparison

default trike		0
aerosoft beaver		98
jahn c-47		466
majestic q400		530
a2a constellation       551
milviz bobcat		804
fslabs concorde		829
pmdg 737		861
pmdg 777		872
pmdg 747		1161

Wow so you only use 1.2GB VAS when flying the 747? or is that your remaining VAS? meaning you're using 2.8GB? Either way it seems like you're having a good experience!

The only thing I have done differently is to uninstall GeForce Experience, which I noticed was using a hell of a lot of processing power and ram.

I might try this and see if I notice a difference.