Sign in to follow this  
kakusso

Five settings for a perfectly smooth experience in P3D with max settings

1. Overclock to at least 4.5Mhz

2. Install Intel chipset drivers in command prompt with the "-overall" option

command prompt ->  SetupChipset -Overall

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

The driver is in the "Available Downloads" column and not in the "Detailed Description" column.

3. Rerun Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT)

Open a command prompt, type "winsat formal -restart clean"

Restart the PC

Windows runs this on installation but it is advisable to update after a hardware change / overclock.

4. Set affinity mask to 241 - Edit: [for a 4 core with HT config].

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=241

5. Use process lasso to run all the addons out of the first physical core, out of the first two logical cores

With these 5 settings implemented the sim will run 100% smooth with no need to set a frame limiter.

• Upvote 1

4. Set affinity mask to 241

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=241

Not a global setting. Depends on number of cores.

4. Set affinity mask to 241 - Edit: [for a 4 core with HT config].

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=241

So it comes down to 10 00 11 11. (reversed)

What is the reasoning behind this? HT has been known to potentially cause higher VAS usage.

So it comes down to 10 00 11 11. (reversed)

What is the reasoning behind this? HT has been known to potentially cause higher VAS usage.

241 is 11 11 00 01 in binary format. (correct). Leave the 1st core alone with P3D main tasks. Leave the second core alone for windows tasks, it improves  the smoothness of texture loading. It also leaves those cores free for the addons.

Yes it causes higher VAS usage. The smoother the sim runs the more it uses VAS.

I try to avoid places like NY and Boston.

Could you provide more details on #2, including installation?

Thx,

Dirk

Could you provide more details on #2, including installation?

Thx,

Dirk

After downloading the file  "SetupChipset.exe" it should be in your downloads folder.

Open Command Prompt -> Right click on the windows logo on the bottom right and select "command prompt Admin"

in Command prompt type the following:

cd\users\[yourusername]\downloads

SetupChipset -Overall

[yourusername] = Your windows username

Just checked and I did not have the inf drivers installed and my pc is running great.

To be sure I did install them and ......it did not differ from before.. 

Proces Lasso I do use since about a year and that is a very good utility.

I am running my 5820K at 4.3 GHz with HT on.

Running it with HT off at 4.5 GHz makes it not one bit smoother.

Framerate is up by 1% and long frames are up too.

Therefore I choose the lowest clockspeed of the 2.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

After downloading the file "SetupChipset.exe" it should be in your downloads folder.

Open Command Prompt -> Right click on the windows logo on the bottom right and select "command prompt Admin"

in Command prompt type the following:

cd\users\[yourusername]\downloads

SetupChipset -Overall

[yourusername] = Your windows username

Thanks, I'll try to update my chipset driver with that option. Of course I installed the Intel chipset driver at my system set up time, but without that option. Still curious what makes it particularly different?

Dirk.

241 is 11 11 00 01 in binary format. (correct). Leave the 1st core alone with P3D main tasks. Leave the second core alone for windows tasks, it improves  the smoothness of texture loading. It also leaves those cores free for the addons.

I see. And how does windows know to push windows tasks onto Core1?

Yes it causes higher VAS usage. The smoother the sim runs the more it uses VAS.

Hm, never heard of this. I have a quite smooth sim, and my starting point at an addon airport with FSL A320 is usually around 1GB free.

However there is a discussion still ongoing on P3D forum about rising VAS usage. There are unfortunately various speculations only.

The smoother the sim runs the more it uses VAS.

This is a funny claim and a very superficial one. There is frame rates, there is smoothness (which is IMO a function of frame rates and subjective judgment of the observer) and there is memory usage. So, the impression of smoothness and VAS may be related depending on the sim's configuration, but not in the way you are claiming.

A system may run smooth because settings are low and CPU and GPU manage the traffic very well. At the same time VAS may be low and may stay low since the low settings do not require a lot of data travel through memory.

More powerful PC hardware will allow keeping high frame rates and to a certain extend as well smoothness if settings are increased - up to a certain level depending on a multitude of factors, i.e. addons installed, mainly; VAS will naturally increase too. Now, applying high res settings in the sim to a not so powerful PC will bring frame rates and smoothness down eventually; still the VAS usage will be the same as on a powerful PC if you apply comparable settings (and assuming you have the same addons installed of course)...

Am I totally wrong?

Best Regards

Frank

Just checked and I did not have the inf drivers installed and my pc is running great.

To be sure I did install them and ......it did not differ from before.. 

Proces Lasso I do use since about a year and that is a very good utility.

I am running my 5820K at 4.3 GHz with HT on.

Running it with HT off at 4.5 GHz makes it not one bit smoother.

Framerate is up by 1% and long frames are up too.

Therefore I choose the lowest clockspeed of the 2.

yes, INF files are text files, and do nothing then LABEL a driver. And those are not updated in a long time it seems.

I have downloaded process-lasso and it looks promising, will try it out this week. Thanks for the heads up Gerard.

It is always possible to create a restore point if you don't trust the Intel drivers. Intel drivers aren't just information about the description of items in the device manager. The only reason that the motherboard drivers are required is that the motherboards have specific features like sound or wifi that Intel doesn't cover, but a new motherboard will still work with intell drivers it uses their chipset. The chipset is designed by Intel. In the old days there were also vendor drivers for the graphics cards but generally people always used original drivers from Nvidia or AMD.

Hi,

I'm not qualified to comment sensibly on the technicalities, but I've been discouraged lately with poor performance, without knowingly making any changes.  I haven't been able to improve performance by lowering settings below what I feel acceptable.

I've been using an Affinity Mask of 116, HT on, plus using Process Lasso.

When I saw this thread I decided to give the suggestions a try.  The difference has been dramatic.  I have a vital few extra fps at higher settings, and a very smooth experience.

Thanks, Kakusso.

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.