Sign in to follow this  
JC75

ARINC 424 and True PBN capabilties

Whilst really pleased to see the new 747 and just starting to enjoy it and learn all about it again after not using the old one now for some time. I was a bit disappointed to see that after such a long development time, that PMDG still using old navdata formats and the FMC logic not been updated to take advantage of ARINC 424 and true PBN.

Is there any plans to refresh the PMDG line of products - rather than more products that will slowly become unusable as real world procedures will require more and more need to be able to fly RF legs etc.?

I see FSLabs have enabled their aircraft to do so - and with real world mandates from ICAO and EASA now pushing this ahead -  its disappointing this one aspect hasn't been addressed by PMDG to really make their aircraft a study sim and procedural trainer.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for posting this information, James.  I was wondering if PMDG had finally udated their FMC logic to fly RF legs in this their latest release.  I see they have not.  I for one will be staying with my iFly 737 which, although it has some shortcomings vs. PMDG's 737NGX, can fly RF legs beautifully and without needing any bogus waypoints.  They are fun approaches to fly!

David

CYXE

David, CYXE

Hi,

I think that because the nav data base is common to several addons (at least the 747v3, the T7 and the NGX, and possibly the MD-11 and the old 747), changing the nav data format and the FMC logic might mean working on the FMC of all the addons (just a guess, I don't know how the FMC are programmed).

If they did before releasing the 747v3 it would have delayed that release for sometime.

As the 747-8 addon is on work, they could either modify the nav data format and integrate it to the new 747-8, but it would probably means delaying the release until the other FMCs are modified and beta tested, or wait for the 747-8 to be released and then work for a general modification of the whole fleet.

Now the old 747 and MD-11 have been withdrawn from PMDG's fleet (I mean purchase and support), it may be easier because less aircrafts to work provided there is enough commonality between the FMC of the 748 and the one of the T7 or the 744.

Just a thought.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I would have thought with Capt Randazzo flying this aircraft he would have been keen to see at least the RF leg type implemented.

Cheers

Steve Hall

The real 747-400 is not even RNP approach certified to my knowledge - it will require retrofitting the airplane with the -8 FMC to get certification. Boeing was working on it but I don't think it's actually happened yet.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The real 747-400 is not even RNP approach certified to my knowledge - it will require retrofitting the airplane with the -8 FMC to get certification. Boeing was working on it but I don't think it's actually happened yet.

I think it requires a FANS FMC (Load 11 or later). The ones I flew certainly didn't have the capability but I just assumed that it was because our company either didn't require it or could not justify the upgrade costs.

It is certainly something that I would like to see on your 777. RNP approaches are the way things are going and some are certainly exciting to fly.

Maybe with the -8 a backwards compatible navdata code for the 737 and 777?

• Upvote 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

Ask anyone from Honeywell about opening the 744 FMS to look at it for an upgrade and they blanch visibly then run away screaming. (taht was my experience at a Honeywell conference many years ago :-) )

The 744 box is a very old box - so to emulate RL I imagine thats why PMDG did not give it that capability.

Bear in mind the 744 can fly an RNP APCH (LNAV or LNAV/VNAV) but not RNP AR APCH. If the terminology is confusing its because it is changing:

RNAV (GNSS) or RNAV (GPS) = RNP APCH (LNAV or LNAV/VNAV)

RNAV (RNP) = RNP AR APCH

Its just not up to it.

Rob Grant
Compass Airlines - Stretch Your Wings Australia