Sign in to follow this  
Flyinggok

P3D - crashing after 4-5 hours with PMDG

Paul,

PLEASE keep us posted on your experiment as it relates to GSX.

We are finding that some users experience these CTDs after using the pop-ups, but most do not. 

We have maintained for some time that there must be a common thread- and I would be highly amused...i mean INTERESTED to learn if you can reproduce it by running GSX or not...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi,

Dan Downs and i were one of the first struggling with the MSVCR120 error and after a lot of testing and posting in the P3D forums a long long time ago  i can say that the GSX was not the program which was responsible for that error , maybe for the ntdll but not for the MSVCR120 .  I have done a lot of testflights from KIAH to LOWW  , with different programs , and only the 777 and P3D to rule everything out but it  still crashed after hours after  clicking during preflight or in flight itself ,

I changed hardware  , use a 40 inch  4K tv  and work around this error by not using the PFD , no problems anymore but still following threads about this error

4 hours ago, ger said:

I changed hardware  , use a 40 inch  4K tv  and work around this error by not using the PFD , no problems anymore but still following threads about this error

Hi Gerard!  I've done the same, except for beta testing I stay away from the PFD popup.  I have noticed that when testing for the CTD event that now the P3D application may close without message or recording an event, and occasionally some odd module like ai_player.dll gets caught as the faulting module but that is only because the module got caught short in the middle of the shutdown.  I agree, ntdll error is not the same thing, and couatl was the cause of weeks of crashes after their last couple of updates... that is a different story and can be found in the FSDT forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hey guys,

I managed my second successful flight. This is the first time in basically 1 year that I've managed to do 2 long flights in a row without a CTD. I did the whole ANZ2 run (NZAA-KLAX, 12 hrs, KLAX-EGLL, 10 hours) without issue. The solution for me is to not use any pop-up. I am very pleased.

I didn't attempt to use the pop-up FMC so I haven't figured out if the issue is with the PFD or all displays yet, but for me, using no pop-up displays seems to have solved my kernelbase.dll CTD. Once again this was not a VAS issue, see Rob's post above.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I do use GSX and I have not attempted to remove it, perhaps the issue is GSX+Pop-up panels as someone pointed out? I'd have to test.

Thanks,

Tested now with v.3.2.3.16769 and PMDG's 747 (latest update installed), installed from scratch. No GSX installed.

ORBX Global texture, Vector, Eu landclass, Na landclass, FTX Norway, FlyTampa's EHAM, TNCM and OMDB installed.

Running AS2016 and Active Sky Cloud Art on networked setup, all Simconnect's version installed.

Running Win7 x64 with all updates, checked and have no errors in event viewer after new install.

GPU, GTX980TI (376.33 driver), CPU I7 4790K, No HT in bios.

After about 6 hours flying EHAM-TNCM i tested that pop-up thing (Captn's PFD) and sim freeze for a couple of second and then CTD, very annoying yes.

Free VAS from 1.1gb to 1.4gb when this happens, and no error reported in event viewer at all, even FSUIP log is clean, all ok till CTD, no writing there either.

Have tested now with P3D v.3.2.3.16769, 3.3.5.17625 and 3.4.22.19868, all with same result after 5 hours flying +, CTD when trying to open Captn's PFD

OC CPU and no OC CPU doesn't matter, same result, every P3D version installed from scratch, deleted all P3D related stuff, files folders etc, even deleted old entry's in registry before new version installed.

Time for some more testing. :pedih:

Philippe,

Thanks for keeping us posted.  As I mentioned in my original reply to you:  You appear to be a classic case of this oddball failure mode that first appeared with P3D v3.3.x...

The research continues- but I am glad to hear you have found some success!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

When I moved to P3D in last August I was having this issue. Stackhash crashes enroute, all solved after removing gsx. Reinstalling it and the addon manager altogether fixed it temporarily.

I had the exact same situation with the 747 a couple of weeks ago, again removing GSX did the trick. I reinstalled it from scratch one more time a week later and the issue is gone for now.

Basically I'm reinstalling it every 6 weeks or so due to this. I suspect there's something that gets corrupt, maybe with the coault live updates.

Fabrizio Barbierato

CLX319_zps10aeywtl.pngECN0550.png

17 hours ago, fabristunt said:

I suspect there's something that gets corrupt, maybe with the coault live updates.

Exactly this.  Since Dec '16 every couatl update has resulted in problems, usually in the form of the stackhash event.  Sometimes downloading their stand alone addon manager installer fixed it, sometimes I simply had to disable couatl during the flight to continue then save/load and restart couatl to land and use GSX.  A real PITA.  I've actually come to understand what a "stackhash" is over the past couple months LOL.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Robert,

Just wanted to give you some information. I recently purchased the 747 and had about 20 hours on it without any problems, until recently.  I started having the computer freeze and the Kernelbase.dll error. Sometimes this would happen in as little as 35 minutes. This is a new machine with some decent equipment in it and is dedicated to only simming, (P3D). I monitored as much as I could during these flights to see if it was an overheat problem or something else but everything looked good. I have been simming for over 20 years now and I know that sometimes software, just like us humans, don’t get along with each other. So I had to think what changed in the last month or so and remembered that the FSDT GSX was always updating whenever I started a flight. Yesterday morning I removed GSX and the updater and have put a total of about 6 hours on the plane without any problems. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

In my years of simming I have owned about every plane you had available for me and have never had any trouble with them. This is why I had a feeling that the problem wasn’t with your software.

I’ll keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks for all your great work.

Bill

Hi all,

I did some tests in the last 3 weeks.
After lowering my P3D Level of Detail radius, I was able to fly 2 hours longer till the crash appears

I did the same flight again with the usual LoD, and got the crash after 5 hours.

Just fyi. possible this helps someone to find out what is causing this :) I have no idea :(

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

I had to disable GSX/couatl module to have crash free flights. Was getting the stackhash crash log. Of course I will install a newer version and try it out as i miss GSX.

1 hour ago, Brit said:

Of course I will install a newer version and try it out as i miss GSX.

It took about a week after the last update for the CTD stackhash events to go away.  The problem is that I do not know why they went away.  Normally, I download the latest stand alone addon manager installer, which sometimes will fix the problem.  Also I've had to download a new full GSX installer, it varies.  This last time I did all that and finally things started working again after a while. Good news is that Flightbeam is going to quit using the couatl engine, maybe that will convince Umberto he has a quality control problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 hours ago, downscc said:

Good news is that Flightbeam is going to quit using the couatl engine, maybe that will convince Umberto he has a quality control problem.

Okey, link?

I keep getting the kernbase .dll error after a couple of  hours and CTD. This time it was right up after loading a browser with remote weather  from AS2016. 

Everytime i use  my saved flight after CTD there is no more CTD' regardless of distance /time 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

23 hours ago, Bakern said:

Okey, link?

If you go to the Flightbeam Forums then you will see what his plans are.

Personally I have always found Umberto helpful when you ask questions and have had most of my problems solved.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators