Sign in to follow this  
Flyinggok

P3D - crashing after 4-5 hours with PMDG

If your computer craps out like that, i.e. completely shutting down, that's sometimes an indication of an issue with the power supply unit not being able to deliver enough power to the GPU, i.e. your graphics card working so hard that there isn't enough power going down the rail to the card to keep it going, so your PSU just goes 'screw this' and conks out. I'd check to see if your PSU is heavy duty enough to supply the necessary power to your GPU when it has to work very hard, as it will with fancy FS add-ons.

That might be the case. I upgraded my videocard to a much better one. Didn't think of my power. Wouldn't it shut down asap, not after a couple of hours?

I get the "unexpected error" CTD on those long flight with PMDG, but  it's random.  I have many add-ons including ORBX.  Very frustrating, but I can't isolate it.

I get the "unexpected error" CTD on those long flight with PMDG, but  it's random.  I have many add-ons including ORBX.  Very frustrating, but I can't isolate it.

What does the error report look like?  If the faulting module  is MSVCR120.dll then that indicates you might be using the left PFD popup.  Don't do that.  If you need to popup the PFD use the right side.

What does the error report look like?  If the faulting module  is MSVCR120.dll then that indicates you might be using the left PFD popup.  Don't do that.  If you need to popup the PFD use the right side.

I'll get a screenshot of the error next time.

Another obervations:  I had the CTD twice on long-haul when I tried to call up the ASN weather report of my destination near the top of descent.  When I see it again, I will pass details of the wrror report.

I'll get a screenshot of the error next time.

Another obervations:  I had the CTD twice on long-haul when I tried to call up the ASN weather report of my destination near the top of descent.  When I see it again, I will pass details of the wrror report.

That would be of no use what so ever.  Use the windows event viewer to see the event report.

I also had an intermittent power unit go bad. [700Watt]  I replaced it with a 1000W unit.  Usually, my problem was on start-up though.

Jerry Friz

Hey all,

If this can be of any use to you, I have the same problem. Well, I'll say I had the same problem, as I haven't flown in a few months. I participated in a few long threads both here and on the P3D forums, but a solution was never found. I'll post links to the threads later, if requested.

Basically what I had found out is that the problem is/was "actual time" based, and in PMDG airplanes only. I did a test, flew a default aircraft with autopilot and unlimited fuel in a straight line... I quit after 24hrs, the sim hadn't crashed. However, flying the PMDG777 would crash the sim after a few hours (4-8 I'd say). Workaround was simply to use time compression all the time. Make sure my total sim time was as low as it could. I'd take off, set max time compression in the FMC as soon as possible, and then return later (with the flight auto-paused, most of the time). This was the only way I could do long haul flights without getting a random non-VAS CTD.

Hope this was somewhat useful.

Hey all,

If this can be of any use to you, I have the same problem. Well, I'll say I had the same problem, as I haven't flown in a few months. I participated in a few long threads both here and on the P3D forums, but a solution was never found. I'll post links to the threads later, if requested.

Basically what I had found out is that the problem is/was "actual time" based, and in PMDG airplanes only. I did a test, flew a default aircraft with autopilot and unlimited fuel in a straight line... I quit after 24hrs, the sim hadn't crashed. However, flying the PMDG777 would crash the sim after a few hours (4-8 I'd say). Workaround was simply to use time compression all the time. Make sure my total sim time was as low as it could. I'd take off, set max time compression in the FMC as soon as possible, and then return later (with the flight auto-paused, most of the time). This was the only way I could do long haul flights without getting a random non-VAS CTD.

Hope this was somewhat useful.

Hi,

thanks for following up on this topic.

That is a interesting workaround, but could not be a solution.

I am really interested in finding out what is causing this crash therefor I will do again a clean install without anything andjust install the PMDG and have a look, if it is crashing again.

Hi gents,

I used to have a couple of "Prepar3d has stopped working" crashes during long hauls (LSZH-KLAX) with the 777 when I first introduced a CH Eclipse yoke in my configuration. I remember that time I search for a solution around the internet and I found something related to Win10 powering down unused USB ports and causing crashes in P3D on long sessions. I implemented the changes below (the "radical" one), and since then I completed severals long hauls without crashes. Cannot guarantee it solves your problems guys, but maybe it worth a try.

Prevent win10 to power down USB ports:

Easy: 
Go to device manager> expand USB controllers> right click on each USB Root Hub entry ,>select properties,
There you can see power management option, open and  uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

Radical (high PC power consumption): 
Access Power Options (e.g., by typing‘Power Options’ in the search bar of Control Panel) Click on ‘Change power plan settings’ on the power plan that is being used (has a bullet ticked) Click change ‘Advanced power settings In popup box, double click on USB settings and on USB selective suspend, then click on ‘Enabled’ and change to ‘Disabled.

Hope it works for all of you striving to complete a long flight and eventually crossing the pond.

Cheers,

Hi gents,

I used to have a couple of "Prepar3d has stopped working" crashes during long hauls (LSZH-KLAX) with the 777 when I first introduced a CH Eclipse yoke in my configuration. I remember that time I search for a solution around the internet and I found something related to Win10 powering down unused USB ports and causing crashes in P3D on long sessions. I implemented the changes below (the "radical" one), and since then I completed severals long hauls without crashes. Cannot guarantee it solves your problems guys, but maybe it worth a try.

Prevent win10 to power down USB ports:

Easy: 
Go to device manager> expand USB controllers> right click on each USB Root Hub entry ,>select properties,
There you can see power management option, open and  uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

Radical (high PC power consumption): 
Access Power Options (e.g., by typing‘Power Options’ in the search bar of Control Panel) Click on ‘Change power plan settings’ on the power plan that is being used (has a bullet ticked) Click change ‘Advanced power settings In popup box, double click on USB settings and on USB selective suspend, then click on ‘Enabled’ and change to ‘Disabled.

Hope it works for all of you striving to complete a long flight and eventually crossing the pond.

Cheers,

The "radical" setting, I already did but I will try the other one too before I completely reinstall my system.

Hi,

thanks for following up on this topic.

That is a interesting workaround, but could not be a solution.

I am really interested in finding out what is causing this crash therefor I will do again a clean install without anything andjust install the PMDG and have a look, if it is crashing again.

Indeed, this cannot be a solution. I only started doing this after "giving up", I couldn't find a solution and I wanted to complete flights.. I'm sure a solution will be found one day. It's a bit odd, many people don't have this issue but it seems more and more people have it. To be continued...

Short update.

I tried all the things you all wrote

- Nvidia driver reinstallation with first uninstalling with the Driver UNinstalling tool -> doenst help same error

- Power Management Settings -> doesnt help, same error

Even the reinstallation of Windows and only the standard P3D without any addons was causing this crash after 5 hours :(

Now, I have no further idea what is happening here....

While I collect some error logs, I'm just going to rely on FSUIPC's autosave, which is very reliable to pick up more or less where I left off, depending on the interval chosen.  

I have done a deep cleaning of Nvidia drivers, some registry work to prevent W10 from updating the drivers and also reverted back to 376.33 and got an OOM after 10 hours instead of the crash after 5. Hey, I call that progress!

Any update on this? Last night I got my first ever CTD with the PMDG 747, and it was exactly the same I used to get with the 777; a crash, about 4-5 hours into a flight, with well over 1GB  of VAS left, saying "P3D has stopped working" and pointing to either ntdll.dll or kernelbase.dll (this time it was kernelbase). A few months ago I had tested using a default aircraft and unlimited fuel, and had stopped the test after flying in a straight line for over 20 hours or so. It must be some kind of addon combination.

Thanks

What driver are you using (if you have a Geforce, that is)? As said above, after reverting back to 376.66 I never had this crash again.

13 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

What driver are you using (if you have a Geforce, that is)? As said above, after reverting back to 376.66 I never had this crash again.

Just curious, I have never rolled back a driver. Where can I find this driver as I intermittently have the same problem.

31 minutes ago, Brian_A_Neuman said:

Just curious, I have never rolled back a driver. Where can I find this driver as I intermittently have the same problem.

Brian:

Go here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Put in your adapter's info and you'll get a list of drivers dating back to October. 376.33 will appear somewhere in the middle of the list of results.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, wsmeier said:

Brian:

Go here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Put in your adapter's info and you'll get a list of drivers dating back to October. 376.33 will appear somewhere in the middle of the list of results.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I will look into it.

I also getting the kernelbase. dll error with this great bird after 2-3 hours. 

Maybe it is Vpilot? 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Kernelbase.dll errors are very hard to isolate because the kernel is the center of the operating system which interacts with just about everything at a low level.  The previous posts are discussing video drivers, not sure if you have read the entire thread or just jumped in at the end.  Regardless, start looking at things like video driver..., I don't have Vpilot and I don't even know what it is but when isolating problems it is always a good idea to reduce the number of addons to see if the problem goes away... you don't even have to ask it should simply be one of the first things you try.

Thanks for everyone's input. This is not the same issue as the "VAS leak caused by NVIDIA drivers", as far as I'm concerned. When I first installed the PMDG747, I was getting a major VAS leak but that problem was easily solved by downgrading to older Nvidia drivers. I'm still on the outdated drivers. 

This is a separate issue, it's an issue that's been going on for months/years. It seems very hard to pinpoint as some people get it but many people don't get it. There are posts both here and on the P3D forums about it. It seems that the sim crashes after 4-5 hours of flight, only when using a PMDG airplane. I still have a ton of VAS left, it's not a VAS problem, and sadly it almost always points to kernellbase.dll so it's hard to debug. 

For now my "workaround" has been simply to use time compression. I personally am not a fan of time compression, I've always liked doing it realtime, but it really appears the sim crashes after 4-5 hours of *real time* so using time compression (then auto-pausing if needed) prevents the crash. 

Its a odd situation, I'm sure one day someone will figure it out but man, this is weird!! Thanks for your help everyone. 

35 minutes ago, PhilH said:

It seems that the sim crashes after 4-5 hours of flight, only when using a PMDG airplane.

Are you using the left outboard CRT (pilot PFD) 2D popup?  If so..., don't instead use the right PFD for your 2D popups.

I am indeed using the shift-8/9 commands when in external views, occasionally. Perhaps this is the culprit after all, I assume those shortcuts call the pilot PFD screens. I'll try without! Thanks for the idea.

Hi

I had similar CTDs with my PMDG planes (737, 777) in P3D on long flights (+4h). After reading alot here and in the P3D-forums I installed the P3D-SDK for the P3D version I use and I stopped using all of the popup windows of the planes (no PFD, ND, CDU...). Since then the only CTDs I had was/is an OOM from time to time. I do not know if one of the two or the combination worked for me, but it worked.

Greetings

Enrico Reiser